Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Tow vehicle in the shop
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Tow vehicle in the shop

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
MandBontheroad

San Ramon, CA

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/20 01:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We're brand new to RVing and on our second trip we drove our Dodge Ram to do some sight seeing leaving our 5th wheel at the camp site. While out for the afternoon our fuel pump "gave up the ghost" and we had to have it towed for repair. It should be fixed this afternoon and we'll be good to go. My question is what can you do if, for example, you break down on the side of the road while towing your 5th wheel? Besides having to tow your tow vehicle in for whatever repairs are needed, how do you "rescue" your 5th wheel trailer from being abandoned on the roadside?

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/20 01:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have your fifth wheel towed by your emergency tow company.

Likes to tow

Huntington WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/20 01:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Join Good Sam or other travel groups, purchase road coverage and they will handle everything for you. They tow your rv to a near by campsite and tow your vehicle to the nearest garage...........according to their sales pitch. Always had it, thankfully never used it.

YC 1

Yuba City Calif./ Auburndale Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/20 02:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just get Coach net and they will take great care of you. We broke down in NY state with our 40 footer. The took it to a cummins dealer that had electric hook ups. As mentioned, they will take care of your 5th wheel and truck.

H/R Endeavor 2008
2013 Ford Edge toad
Full Timers

MandBontheroad

San Ramon, CA

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/20 02:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the tips. We've heard good things about Good Sam and will check out Coach net too.

Allworth

Orlando, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/20 04:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have had excellent service from Good Sam Roadside Assistance. Not often; but good when we needed it.

A

Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
2008 Titanium 30E35SA; EZ-Lube axles; wet bolts; spring hanger gussetts; BFG Commercial TAs
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

GaryUT

Northern UT

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/20 04:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whatever you do DO NOT depend on GM's roadside assistance.

Our 2009 GMC Sierra broke down while we were on vacation with our trailer. The truck was 2 months old with less than 3000 miles on it, Onstar was aware that we were towing a trailer when they sent the tow truck out to get the truck.

I ended up leaving the trailer on the side of the road, I had to pay for another tow truck to get the trailer off the road to a campground. And to add insult to injury GM's idea of a suitable loaner while our truck was in the shop for a week was a Chevrolet Impala. Needless to say our vacation plans had to be canceled.

Gary

2019 Keystone Laredo 255SRL
2009 GMC Sierra 2500 4x4 Crew cab short bed

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/20 05:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had Good Sam ERS for years and knock on wood have only used it once in 18 years. I have the platinum plan that covers any vehicle I own for a breakdown.

I'm extremely greatful if I don't have to use it or my health insurance, vehicle insurance and homeowners insurance.

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/20 05:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Everyone has given great advice. A major breakdown while on the road has always been a fear of mine.....which is the primary reason I don’t want a motor home for extended trips or full timing. Generally, a major breakdown would be something in the drivetrain. Meaning, if you’re in a motor home, all of your personal items, many quite expensive or “politically incorrect” (for the area) are in a motor home in the repair shop.....while, you’re living in a motel room. If the tow vehicle breaks down, it’s in the shop......while you and your personal items are safely in your 5th wheel/travel trailer in an RV park, of your choosing ! memtb

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

stickdog

Somewhere, USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/20 07:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've had different road side assistance plans for 30+ years. Only used them twice. Last time was with Good Sam and couldn't have been any more pleased with the service.

9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Tow vehicle in the shop
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.