cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tire changing jack

jotityra
Explorer
Explorer
What kind of jack do you carry with you in case of a flat tire on your trailer? I'm looking at a bottle jack that has a jack stand in one assembly. like this: Alltrade Tools 620470 Unijack Hydraulic Jackstand, 2-Ton

I used to take small floor jacks but they are too old so I'm looking to get something just for the camper.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH. Towing with a 2020 F150 supercrew 4x4 with a 5.0L V8 and 3.55 rear end
31 REPLIES 31

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
nothing!

The truck has a jack that works on the trailer. I carry one jack for truck and trailer.

When I had a tandem axle trailer it was easier to just roll one axle side up on a rock or curb which made the other axle tire come off the ground. They only have 2-3 inches of travel, so not much lift is needed. Then changing the tire was easy, and actually safer than a jack.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
One tire holding up all the weight on that side (one spot on the tire) of the trailer may do so for 10-30 min while the flat is being changed vs a micro second over a bridge jump at speed which that weight on the tires isn't all in one spot.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
schlep1967 wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:
Why do you assume I lift the flat tire more than an inch with my ramp? The tire on the ramp bears weight! Way off on this one, goducks.

Think this through a little. It doesn't matter if you are lifting 1 inch or 6 inches with the drive on type of jack. All of the weight is on one axle.
When you put a traditional type of jack under the flats axle you still have weight on the good tire's axle and weight on the jack under the bad tire's axle.

Example: 12,000 lb trailer, 2,400 on the hitch, 9,600 on two axles or 4,800 on each axle. 2 sides to each axle so 2,400 sitting on each tire.
Run one tire up onto a ramp it is holding the full weight of one side of the trailer or 4,800 lbs. Overloading that one tire.

Put a jack under the bad wheel's axle and lift and it is holding the 2,400 lbs for that axle while the good tire is still holding it's 2,400 lbs.

Which is really a moot point because when one tire is flat and or shredded, the other tire on that side is already overloaded and holding all the weight.

Going across a bridge jump will put more stress on all tires than you get when you lift 1 side with ramp under 1 wheel.
I use a ramp under the flat to lift most of the distance. It takes some force to work the jack when lifting. Just jack up to get the ramp out.

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lwiddis wrote:
Why do you assume I lift the flat tire more than an inch with my ramp? The tire on the ramp bears weight! Way off on this one, goducks.

Think this through a little. It doesn't matter if you are lifting 1 inch or 6 inches with the drive on type of jack. All of the weight is on one axle.
When you put a traditional type of jack under the flats axle you still have weight on the good tire's axle and weight on the jack under the bad tire's axle.

Example: 12,000 lb trailer, 2,400 on the hitch, 9,600 on two axles or 4,800 on each axle. 2 sides to each axle so 2,400 sitting on each tire.
Run one tire up onto a ramp it is holding the full weight of one side of the trailer or 4,800 lbs. Overloading that one tire.

Put a jack under the bad wheel's axle and lift and it is holding the 2,400 lbs for that axle while the good tire is still holding it's 2,400 lbs.

Which is really a moot point because when one tire is flat and or shredded, the other tire on that side is already overloaded and holding all the weight.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
Seon wrote:

I don't know what make and model your tow vehicle is but my Yukon XL's scissors jack is the pits when I had to change tires on my trailer.

I bought a small 3 Ton Aluminum Floor Jack from Harbor Freight that's light and easy to stow.

Your luck might be better than mine. If I'm out on the road I'm very likely to be missing a very important part needed for your new jack to work; A floor. That kind of jack, the lift plate goes up in a arc. This is not a issue, if, and only if the jack can roll. If of anything but a smooth hard surface, the lift plate is likely to slide, and drop the load. Even on a "brush finished" concrete driveway, you need to watch close as it goes up.

Very true. I use a piece of 3/4 plywood with a floor jack at home on the gravel driveway.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Seon wrote:

I don't know what make and model your tow vehicle is but my Yukon XL's scissors jack is the pits when I had to change tires on my trailer.

I bought a small 3 Ton Aluminum Floor Jack from Harbor Freight that's light and easy to stow.

Your luck might be better than mine. If I'm out on the road I'm very likely to be missing a very important part needed for your new jack to work; A floor. That kind of jack, the lift plate goes up in a arc. This is not a issue, if, and only if the jack can roll. If of anything but a smooth hard surface, the lift plate is likely to slide, and drop the load. Even on a "brush finished" concrete driveway, you need to watch close as it goes up.

Seon
Explorer
Explorer
pfidahospud wrote:
I've successfully tested and used my tow vehicle jack for my trailer. I'm not sure why it wouldn't work for others.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Trailer Aid idea looks OK. But, 46 bucks is a lot.

donut_dave
Explorer
Explorer
just used my trailer aid in june. had to put board under it to get enough clearance. otherwise my truck's bottle jack is the back up.

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Trailer-Aid here, also.
Used it many times at home, fortunately not on the road.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
IMHO, you should always pull the flat tire on a block so you start with center of axle at least as high as with a inflated tire. Jack up from there, until you can slide the block out. Less distance to lift whole load, and you are sure the replacement will go on without "Up just a little more" That little more, with no wheel in place is when most likely to get hurt.

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
6 ton bottle jack. I won't use those trailer aids as they put all the weight of one side on one axle. A bottle jack only lifts the flat tire an inch or so and the other tire stays on the ground so that side of the trailer is supported by both axles.
I have 5200 lb axles. TT has 7850 lbs on the axles. 1/2 of 7850 is 3925.
1/2 of 5200 is 2600 lbs.
I'd be supporting 3925 lbs with 2600 lbs of axle using a trailer aid.

Another problem besides the axle is that all the weight on one side of the trailer would be supported by a single tire. You now doubled the weight on that tire. Another issue is if you have body damage from a blowout and turning the tire will cause more damage. I carry a 9 ton bottle Jack. It can be used for more than changing tires.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Works fine on mine, I dont think yours would be different. Years ago, before they had such things people just put one of the tires of the camper up on blocks to change the other one. Same idea just easier. The bottle jack will work fine also. Just carry some extra wood around for a good base. Lego blocks may work but i never tried them under the jack.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

jotityra
Explorer
Explorer
Sjm9911 wrote:
You have the tandom axel, get the trailor aid or just block up one wheel untill the other gets off the ground. . Your not moving so not really stressing the other side. If it was a problem they wouldn't make them. Carry a bottle jack as a back up.

I have read that the trailer aid does not work if you have the tandem leaf springs. I ended up buying the 3 ton jack from Amazon. it will be here on wednesday so hopefully it is a good jack. I leave on friday so if it doesn't work I'll just go to walmart and pick up a bottle jack for the trip.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH. Towing with a 2020 F150 supercrew 4x4 with a 5.0L V8 and 3.55 rear end