Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: First barrage with the dealer
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> First barrage with the dealer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/20 04:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

noteven wrote:

Gdetrailer wrote:

noteven wrote:

Oops I didn’t mean government sets MSRP...

Let me re-word my question correctly:

Displaying / publishing a MSRP is mandated by government isn’t it?

Prove it.

What is the “Monroney Act” ?

That "act" only applies to AUTOMOBILES.

It does not apply or include Travel Trailers, 5th wheels, slide in campers, popups or even tents which are a completely different thing from an AUTOMOBILE.

Automobile means a PASSENGER CAR, PASSENGER TRUCK, PASSENGER MOTORCYCLE. In other words something the a person drives and carries PASSENGERS.

See HERE

I suggest you read it carefully as it makes ZERO REFERENCES TO A RV.

"The Federal Automobile Information Disclosure Act

Overview of the Federal Automobile Information Disclosure Act

The Federal Automobile Information Disclosure Act, or “Price Sticker Act,” requires automobile manufacturers to place stickers containing certain information on the windows of all new cars. The Act is commonly known as the “Monroney Act,” in reference to Mike Monroney, the Act’s chief sponsor in the United States Senate. The stickers required by the Act are often called “Monroney stickers.”

The Act requires the manufacturer to affix the sticker on the windshield or side window of any new passenger car or station wagon before the car is delivered to a dealer. The Act prohibits the removal or alteration of the sticker prior to the sale of the car. Therefore, only the buyer of the car may remove the sticker.

Contents of a Monroney Sticker

The sticker must clearly and legibly state:

The make, model, and serial or identification number of the car
The final assembly point of the car
The name, location, and place of business of the dealer to whom the car is to be delivered
The name of the city or town at which the car is to be delivered to the dealer
The method of transportation used in making delivery of the car, if the car is driven or towed from the final assembly point to the place of delivery
The manufacturer’s suggested retail price for the car
The manufacturer’s suggested retail price for optional equipment installed on the car
The amount charged to the dealer for the transportation of the car to the place of delivery
The total amount of the last three items listed above

Penalties

The Federal Automobile Information Disclosure Act provides civil and criminal penalties for violations of the Act. A manufacturer that willfully fails to comply with the Act may be fined up to $ 1,000 for each violation. A person who willfully removes or alters a Monroney sticker from a car prior to its delivery to a buyer may be fined up to $ 1,000 and imprisoned for not more than one year."

I have taken the liberty to highlight CAR in bold to make a point, a trailer is not a PASSENGER CAR, therefore your argument holds no weight and is a null and void argument.

MSRP is a price SET by the MANUFACTURER of said item not the Government.

Government does not REQUIRE MSRP to be shown.

That price can be $.01 or a BILLION Dollars if the manufacturer wants to. Doesn't mean they have to give you any information..

The ONLY exception that I can think of that might fall under that "act" would be in the case of a MOTOR HOME which is a RV that has a MOTOR VEHICLE OR MOTORIZED VEHICLE AND RV and can carry passengers.

* This post was edited 08/09/20 05:32pm by an administrator/moderator *

bob213

Fresno, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/20 07:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TomG2 wrote:

bob213 wrote:

....snip..... Have you really considered how cramped that trailer is going to be with 5 people in it? I don't mean to rain on your parade but that's going to be pretty tight living conditions. ........

Other than full-timers do people really buy travel trailers to "Live in"? I use a camper to sleep in while I am visiting interesting and fun places. Then I am out of the trailer. Families have enjoyed tent camping for years in smaller spaces than a 25 foot travel trailer with sleeping for six.

I never said full time living. And families that buy a tent don't spend $20,000. As stated above, there will probably be a lot of trailers on the market by people who find out it's not what they thought. Just trying to keep the OP from being one of them.

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/20 09:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

noteven wrote:

Gdetrailer wrote:

noteven wrote:

Oops I didn’t mean government sets MSRP...

Let me re-word my question correctly:

Displaying / publishing a MSRP is mandated by government isn’t it?

Prove it.

What is the “Monroney Act” ?

That "act" only applies to AUTOMOBILES.

It does not apply or include Travel Trailers, 5th wheels, slide in campers, popups or even tents which are a completely different thing from an AUTOMOBILE.

Automobile means a PASSENGER CAR, PASSENGER TRUCK, PASSENGER MOTORCYCLE. In other words something the a person drives and carries PASSENGERS.

See HERE

I suggest you read it carefully as it makes ZERO REFERENCES TO A RV.

"The Federal Automobile Information Disclosure Act

Overview of the Federal Automobile Information Disclosure Act

The Federal Automobile Information Disclosure Act, or “Price Sticker Act,” requires automobile manufacturers to place stickers containing certain information on the windows of all new cars. The Act is commonly known as the “Monroney Act,” in reference to Mike Monroney, the Act’s chief sponsor in the United States Senate. The stickers required by the Act are often called “Monroney stickers.”

The Act requires the manufacturer to affix the sticker on the windshield or side window of any new passenger car or station wagon before the car is delivered to a dealer. The Act prohibits the removal or alteration of the sticker prior to the sale of the car. Therefore, only the buyer of the car may remove the sticker.

Contents of a Monroney Sticker

The sticker must clearly and legibly state:

The make, model, and serial or identification number of the car
The final assembly point of the car
The name, location, and place of business of the dealer to whom the car is to be delivered
The name of the city or town at which the car is to be delivered to the dealer
The method of transportation used in making delivery of the car, if the car is driven or towed from the final assembly point to the place of delivery
The manufacturer’s suggested retail price for the car
The manufacturer’s suggested retail price for optional equipment installed on the car
The amount charged to the dealer for the transportation of the car to the place of delivery
The total amount of the last three items listed above

Penalties

The Federal Automobile Information Disclosure Act provides civil and criminal penalties for violations of the Act. A manufacturer that willfully fails to comply with the Act may be fined up to $ 1,000 for each violation. A person who willfully removes or alters a Monroney sticker from a car prior to its delivery to a buyer may be fined up to $ 1,000 and imprisoned for not more than one year."

I have taken the liberty to highlight CAR in bold to make a point, a trailer is not a PASSENGER CAR, therefore your argument holds no weight and is a null and void argument.

MSRP is a price SET by the MANUFACTURER of said item not the Government.

Government does not REQUIRE MSRP to be shown.

That price can be $.01 or a BILLION Dollars if the manufacturer wants to. Doesn't mean they have to give you any information..

The ONLY exception that I can think of that might fall under that "act" would be in the case of a MOTOR HOME which is a RV that has a MOTOR VEHICLE OR MOTORIZED VEHICLE AND RV and can carry passengers.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

parcany

Arizona City

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/20 09:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Was friends with a salesman selling trailer and was told that the msrp might be $40,000 but the dealer only pays about $26,000 for the trailer, that is why they can dicker with you. When you trade a trailer in they will give you low bluebook no matter how much you have kept it nice or added things to. thats where they make there money also.

1Longbow

AZ

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/20 07:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I live in Az. and drove to Indiana for our first TT. Saved $10,000 over what the dealers around here wanted for the same unit. It was a fun road trip. We traveled to Utah for our 2nd one for the same reason

BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/10/20 09:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Noteven, the Monroney Act only applies to consumer auto/truck sales, not RVs, jet skis, ATVs, etc.

Also unlike the automotive market, many RV dealers will only do warranty work on units that they sell at their dealership. Unlike auto mfrs, RV mfrs won't force a dealer to provide warranty work on a unit just because they sell that brand, they allow a dealer to only perform warranty work work on the units sold at that dealership. There were a few online "virtual" dealers with no overhead that were undercutting local dealers on price, so the manufacturers allowed this as a way for the local dealers to "fight back".

Personally I wouldn't hesitate to buy long distance since I do all my own repair work anyway.

Raife, I wouldn't worry about whether the dealer is making $1,000 or $10,000....as was noted here, if you think the price is fair for what you're buying, then buy it. Some may say, "Fools rush in...", but more apt for a sellers market like this is "He who hesitates is lost."

I get your point that you keep your vehicles a long time, but recognize that an RV is different...kids grow up and get bigger, and it's possible that you will find yourselves using the trailer differently than how you envisioned using it when you bought it. There is a decent chance that you'll sell that RV or trade it in within a couple years for those reasons.

Whether you'll get a better price in 6 months depends on whether demand softens like it usually does in the winter. Having seen the 3 TV network affiliates here in NY all run segments on their news magazine shows about how RVs are the perfect vacation option, I'm hesitant to say that demand will be lower over this winter.

2015 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
SOLD: 2008 Terry 34' TT
SOLD: 2001 K2500LT 8.1L Suburban

Lance 811 Renovation Story!
Project Complete!
Maiden Voyage!

Raife

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/20 10:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you everyone. We pulled the trigger yesterday on the Grand Design and are happy with how things settled out. We got the deal that worked for us.

Thank you for everyone's input...now to officially join the ranks of RV ownership.

I'm sure my questions will keep coming...

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/20 11:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Right now I think they're selling pretty much anything they can get their hands on so I don't think they're as willing to deal on price as they normally are. I was talking to a sales guy and a trailer that I know sells for $29,500 every day he had just sold for $37,000, only 13% off the very high 'MSRP'. Right now it's a seller's market, wait until there's a vaccine and you'll be able to pick up a barely used unit for a fraction of even normal new prices as lots of first time panic buyers realize they don't really like camping that much and would rather fly or take a cruise.

*edit* well, glad it worked out for you!

* This post was edited 08/10/20 12:04pm by afidel *

2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 long bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/20 11:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congrats Raife!!
Go have some fun!!

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/10/20 11:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

New RV owners would do much better waiting ( if possible ) till next year to buy.. The market is so crazy now, absolutely a sellers market for sure that discounts are much smaller than the past.

next year, we will see a TON of slightly used RV's that were purchased in the spur of the moment so families could vacation during this pandemic. Then they realize it's not for them, there is NO room service option.

I believe that there will be many. many to choose from..

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> First barrage with the dealer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.