Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Totaled vehicles...sometimes surprising.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Totaled vehicles...sometimes surprising.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/20 10:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ve often wondered how the large numbers of “rebuilt” vehicles with “light damage” for sale can be real and not just a line of bs by the seller.
Had one example years ago. Guy at work literally “tapped” another vehicle rear ending it. Virtually no Physical damage to either Vehicle, but his air bags, defectively, went off.
Was a 10year old low mile cherry pickup but they totaled it. Ok airbags, made the determination.
Yesterday, talking with one of the hockey parents, they have like 8 or 9 kids. I lose count.
They had a new bus (van). I complimented it and asked if they didn’t like the old one. Old one was a Nissan NV.
Nope, totaled in an accident he said. Was 1-2 years old and average miles I presume.
No one hurt, probably 5-6 kids in it. Freeway accident. They got rear ended and pushed in to the vehicle in front of them. Said it was fairly light damage. Drove it home and drove it for weeks while insurance figured it out. Minimal front damage, plastic parts and the rear needs new doors and it got into the skin that wraps forward up both sides about half way. And 2 rear doors and a bumper. No frame damage. Doors even still opened in back.
He fought to have it repaired and nonetheless it was totaled and they lost $ on the deal.
Now IMO, either the body shop inflated the repair cost or the value of the van tanked in less than 2 years, but it just didn’t make sense.

Yet I recall crashing my moms new 89 Caprice when I was a kid. Not my fault accident fwiw, lol.
It was “effed up” bad. Without getting into details, I know a lot about bodywork and it was toast.
Repair cost came to just under the retail value and they repaired it rather than totaled.

There is a ton of subjectivity in this industry. But some of those “fender bender” totals must still be good vehicles.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/20 11:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had a 1968 Fiat 850 Sedan I bought from my brother in 1969.

Being a 'young, dumb, full of it' teenager I rolled that little car crushed the roof in, blew out both front/rear windshields and dinged up the front end

Took 4 months for parts to be shipped from Italy before repairs could be done
Paid my deductible and went on down the road.

Sold it later that year and bought a 1968 Dodge Charger 'Yellow' with rear stripe.

Now a days.........air bags deploy/totaled, fender bender/totaled, bumper dented-grill broken/totaled

Insurance companies use Total Loss Formula (TLF) which is:

"Cost of Repair + Salvage Value > Actual Cash Value"

Majority of States ---75% is deciding factor

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/20 11:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe there is another forumla:

If insurance is paying for it...

Kinda like $40 aspirin tablets in hospital?

I duhn know, being a ecomanic dummy...

* This post was edited 08/09/20 11:50am by noteven *

danrclem

Ky.

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/20 11:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wouldn't buy a vehicle that has been rebuilt unless I could see the pictures of it before it was repaired and a list of all damage. I'm sure there are some rebuilt vehicles out there that are worthy of driving but I wouldn't want to take the chance.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/20 12:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wonder if the issue isn't from the "crush zone" safety feature? If somebody was hurt in a second accident how could anybody prove the repair or first accident didn't weaken or harden that zone?

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/20 12:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think some is problems after the fact. Doors don’t close right, a/c or some accessory is not right. Maybe paint issues. I’ve never got a car back when fixed and it was same as new. Also seems more is often found once the repairs begin.

Once totaled all the escalation risk just stops.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/20 12:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Scooby,
Good point. Kinda like a motorcycle/bike helmet (s) in general. Hit the ground with one, replace it.
Not saying van in grits case should have been or not totaled. You would think new cars would be reasonably repairable from factory.
Never studied sir bags and how they work, I would think you could get replacements.....

Marty

92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
00 Chev C2500, V5700, 4L80E, 4.10, base truck, no options!
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Check RV.Net Blogs at: blog.rv.net

mich800

Pontiac, MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/20 12:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Insurance companies are not stupid. If it was totaled it was in their best financial interest.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/20 01:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

I wonder if the issue isn't from the "crush zone" safety feature? If somebody was hurt in a second accident how could anybody prove the repair or first accident didn't weaken or harden that zone?

This could very well factor into it considerably.
I hadn’t considered that

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/20 01:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mich800 wrote:

Insurance companies are not stupid. If it was totaled it was in their best financial interest.

Totally. Agreed.
Seems there might be more to it then just repair cost contributing to the decision.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Totaled vehicles...sometimes surprising.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.