cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gray tank capacity

Taxman2436
Explorer
Explorer
I believe my Gray tank capacity is about 33 gallons for the shower and bathroom sink. I have a separate tank for the kitchen sink. We started with an empty tank on Friday morning and brushed our teeth morning & night and took a total of 4 showers and this morning (Sunday) while showering (5th shower) ran out of capacity. Does this sound right? I new at this and trying to learn my limitations.
Thanks,

Lenny
Taxman2436
Sturbridge, MA
2022 Ford F350 6.7L Diesel
2023 Grand Design Reflection 320 MKS
18 REPLIES 18

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
gmckenzie wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:
Depends on your level of โ€œNavyโ€ showers. I catch what I can when showering for toilet flushing but Iโ€™m almost strictly a boondocker.

How do you do this?
I've always thought it would be a good feature to pull toilet water from the shower tank.

Gm,
There are several little tricks we use when boondocking. Just the wife and me and can get about 2 weeks out of a 30gal gray tank. Keep a milk jug in the shower. Catch the water while youโ€™re waiting for the warm to show up. Get in and get wet. Soap yourself down then rinse. Wife washes her hair outside when the weather is warm. Donโ€™t let the water run while youโ€™re brushing your teeth. Shave outside. Instead of washing your hands every time you pee keep hand sanitizer handy.
Practice and youโ€™ll come up with new ones of your own.
Happy trails!

Katdaddy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our camper has a 30 gallon gray tank for bath and kitchen. I have a blue tote with 22 gallon capacity. When we are dry camping I dump every day. Two showers and normal daily activities, washing dishes, brushing teeth, etc. usually puts about 15 to 20 gallons in the tank. On the next to last day I don't dump. That will give me 4 showers and two days worth of normal use and the tank will be full when we get to the dump station on the way out. A long way of saying, yeah 4 showers can use up close to 30 gallons.
Little by little, one travels far - J.R.R. Tolkien
There ain't no surer way to find out whether you like people or hate them than to travel with them. - Mark Twain

gmckenzie
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Depends on your level of โ€œNavyโ€ showers. I catch what I can when showering for toilet flushing but Iโ€™m almost strictly a boondocker.

How do you do this?
I've always thought it would be a good feature to pull toilet water from the shower tank.
2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Cut the top off a gallon water bottle and time how long it takes. Show the kids so they understand every 10 seconds really adds up. Could even do the math and come up with how many seconds of water time people get per shower.

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
It can be frowned upon, but depending on where you are camping, you can let the grey tank run out on the grass. It's just shower water and some tooth paste. I have never done this in a recognized campground, but have done it boon docking and have done it at home when I had 3 adults staying in our trailer for 5 days. It smells a little, but doesn't hurt the ground. But, don't do that in a campground. Most have a note about not letting grey water out on the ground, but not all. I think a camp host would freak out...

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Even 3 gal is a lot for a thorough navy shower.
Those of you concerned with this, do a little test. Keep water about mid flow, not fully open faucet, but enough to get some pressure out of the shower head.
Time how long it takes to fill a gallon jug.
Bet you can shower fine on 1 gallon If youโ€™re bald and 2 gal of washing long hair. Not luxurious, but clean at least.
We have a 25gal gray tank, and just me in the camper. Not conserving water. Long-ish showers and 1 set of dishes a day letting faucet run while rinsing etc. Iโ€™m good for 5 days.
Family of 4 taking navy showers and conserving water, 5 days as well, but not usually 4 showers a day, in the lake all day.

Regarding the โ€œopinionโ€ about dumping gray water.... whether itโ€™s a crowded campground full of RVs or a NF campground. No one has ever โ€œknownโ€ when I dump gray water. First if itโ€™s out in the open, wait til late at night. Or if wooded, run hose into woods and be smart where it drains.
Problem is too many cousin eddys who arenโ€™t smart enough to graduate from Velcro shoes!
He!! I cleaned and rinsed gray and black tank in my front yard last week. Been a couple years and the gray was a little smelly. And the black dumps have just been quick dumps.
I would challenge anyone to find it the next day.
Besides the neighbors dog ***** in our front yard anyway and Iโ€™m sure mine do in his when theyโ€™re out. The whole place doesnโ€™t smell. Itโ€™s poo and shampoo. Not nuclear waste.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
Let's say between brushing teeth and washing hands, you used 5 gal.

That leaves 27gal...so a little over 5.5 gal for 5 showers will use up the rest.

If you are intense about it, you could probably reduce the usage to 3-4gal per shower but at some point, it's no fun being dirty.

Putting a removable blade valve (you can buy them for about $25 and there is no installation needed) on the main outlet and then opening the valves so it equalizes between the 2 gray and 1 black tank will likely buy you at least a couple more days.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Taxman2436
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting you say this, that was my thought also. Iโ€™m in the habit even at home of conserving which is why I was surprised. Although I have not been monitoring what the bride does. We talked about it and I think this could be part of the problem. The other piece is that it seems to take some time for the hot water to come up in the shower even this hot summer. Someone on the forum mentioned that when dry camping they use a bucket to capture the cold water until it gets warm and thinking of that also. We usually have sewer hookup and had been avoiding keeping the drain open so the tank would be relatively full when draining the black. As someone pointed out I can keep the dark open and close it for the last couple of days.

Lenny
Taxman2436
Sturbridge, MA
2022 Ford F350 6.7L Diesel
2023 Grand Design Reflection 320 MKS

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
WHen using bathroom sink....washing face, combing hair, brushing teeth is water left running ????

33 gal....4 days ===roughly 8 gals/day per person which is about average usage but can be improved by a little bit of 'conservation'
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I could squeeze out a 3 day / 2 night weekend on a 33 gallon gray tank. That was 2 shower each plus other hand washing, dish washing, etc. I'd say you did about right. Now that I have 3 kids our next RV will absolutely have a much larger tank.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
When we're not on full hookup sites, my wife and I can squeeze out a week with alternate day navy showers with "spit baths" in between. We have a 65 gallon fresh water tank and the grey and black are both 27 gallons. One "trick" we use when necessary, since the black tank normally fills much slower than the grey tank, is that I installed a third master drain valve that we can keep closed while opening both the grey and black valves, combining the capacities.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

salem
Explorer
Explorer
You don't say whether or not you're in a full hook-up site. When we are, we leave our gray tank valve open. Solves the problem of having to dump ever couple of days. I close it a day or so before we leave so I'll have a good water flow to flush out the hose after draining the black tank.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
If we're staying at a state campground with showers I use them and let the wife use the RV shower. We can last a week like that and using paper plates and grilling.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Itโ€™s amazing how little water you can use and still stay clean and brushed as well as wash dishes.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad