Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Gray tank capacity
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Gray tank capacity

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/20 10:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WHen using bathroom sink....washing face, combing hair, brushing teeth is water left running ????

33 gal....4 days ===roughly 8 gals/day per person which is about average usage but can be improved by a little bit of 'conservation'

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

Taxman2436

Holden, MA

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/20 11:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting you say this, that was my thought also. I’m in the habit even at home of conserving which is why I was surprised. Although I have not been monitoring what the bride does. We talked about it and I think this could be part of the problem. The other piece is that it seems to take some time for the hot water to come up in the shower even this hot summer. Someone on the forum mentioned that when dry camping they use a bucket to capture the cold water until it gets warm and thinking of that also. We usually have sewer hookup and had been avoiding keeping the drain open so the tank would be relatively full when draining the black. As someone pointed out I can keep the dark open and close it for the last couple of days.

Lenny

Taxman2436
Sturbridge,MA
2019 Ford F-250 6.7 L Diesel
2018 Cruiser Shadow

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/20 11:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Let's say between brushing teeth and washing hands, you used 5 gal.

That leaves 27gal...so a little over 5.5 gal for 5 showers will use up the rest.

If you are intense about it, you could probably reduce the usage to 3-4gal per shower but at some point, it's no fun being dirty.

Putting a removable blade valve (you can buy them for about $25 and there is no installation needed) on the main outlet and then opening the valves so it equalizes between the 2 gray and 1 black tank will likely buy you at least a couple more days.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/20 11:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Even 3 gal is a lot for a thorough navy shower.
Those of you concerned with this, do a little test. Keep water about mid flow, not fully open faucet, but enough to get some pressure out of the shower head.
Time how long it takes to fill a gallon jug.
Bet you can shower fine on 1 gallon If you’re bald and 2 gal of washing long hair. Not luxurious, but clean at least.
We have a 25gal gray tank, and just me in the camper. Not conserving water. Long-ish showers and 1 set of dishes a day letting faucet run while rinsing etc. I’m good for 5 days.
Family of 4 taking navy showers and conserving water, 5 days as well, but not usually 4 showers a day, in the lake all day.

Regarding the “opinion” about dumping gray water.... whether it’s a crowded campground full of RVs or a NF campground. No one has ever “known” when I dump gray water. First if it’s out in the open, wait til late at night. Or if wooded, run hose into woods and be smart where it drains.
Problem is too many cousin eddys who aren’t smart enough to graduate from Velcro shoes!
He!! I cleaned and rinsed gray and black tank in my front yard last week. Been a couple years and the gray was a little smelly. And the black dumps have just been quick dumps.
I would challenge anyone to find it the next day.
Besides the neighbors dog ***** in our front yard anyway and I’m sure mine do in his when they’re out. The whole place doesn’t smell. It’s poo and shampoo. Not nuclear waste.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/10/20 01:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It can be frowned upon, but depending on where you are camping, you can let the grey tank run out on the grass. It's just shower water and some tooth paste. I have never done this in a recognized campground, but have done it boon docking and have done it at home when I had 3 adults staying in our trailer for 5 days. It smells a little, but doesn't hurt the ground. But, don't do that in a campground. Most have a note about not letting grey water out on the ground, but not all. I think a camp host would freak out...

wopachop

lb

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/20 02:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cut the top off a gallon water bottle and time how long it takes. Show the kids so they understand every 10 seconds really adds up. Could even do the math and come up with how many seconds of water time people get per shower.

gmckenzie

BC

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/20 02:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

Depends on your level of “Navy” showers. I catch what I can when showering for toilet flushing but I’m almost strictly a boondocker.

How do you do this?
I've always thought it would be a good feature to pull toilet water from the shower tank.

2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS

Katdaddy

Petal, MS USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/20 09:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our camper has a 30 gallon gray tank for bath and kitchen. I have a blue tote with 22 gallon capacity. When we are dry camping I dump every day. Two showers and normal daily activities, washing dishes, brushing teeth, etc. usually puts about 15 to 20 gallons in the tank. On the next to last day I don't dump. That will give me 4 showers and two days worth of normal use and the tank will be full when we get to the dump station on the way out. A long way of saying, yeah 4 showers can use up close to 30 gallons.

Little by little, one travels far - J.R.R. Tolkien
There ain't no surer way to find out whether you like people or hate them than to travel with them. - Mark Twain

campigloo

Baton Rouge, La

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/20 03:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gmckenzie wrote:

Lwiddis wrote:

Depends on your level of “Navy” showers. I catch what I can when showering for toilet flushing but I’m almost strictly a boondocker.

How do you do this?
I've always thought it would be a good feature to pull toilet water from the shower tank.

Gm,
There are several little tricks we use when boondocking. Just the wife and me and can get about 2 weeks out of a 30gal gray tank. Keep a milk jug in the shower. Catch the water while you’re waiting for the warm to show up. Get in and get wet. Soap yourself down then rinse. Wife washes her hair outside when the weather is warm. Don’t let the water run while you’re brushing your teeth. Shave outside. Instead of washing your hands every time you pee keep hand sanitizer handy.
Practice and you’ll come up with new ones of your own.
Happy trails!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Gray tank capacity
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.