cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sliding or Folding Door to Garage

GaryRudolph
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 12’ garage in our toy hauler and the door opens into the garage area. Unfortunately, this doesn’t allow us to get into the garage if we have something near the front of the garage (i.e. Bolt-It-On Rack) but still want to in/out of the garage without going outside (i.e. if we stop and have dirt bikes in the back but the kids are ok climbing over the bikes with the bed down and need to go to the bathroom during the night).

Anyone install a sliding door, folding door or velcro tarp (removing the door) as an alternative to the swinging door?

11 REPLIES 11

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I think it would be much easier to "seal" a swinging door than a sliding one.
bumpy

CarlT100
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have any photos and the toyhauler is about nine hours away. I thought about making a gasket; but just never did.
Carl S
US Army Retired

'11 F-450, 6.7, 4X4, crewcab; '14 Fuzion Impact toyhauler
'12 Triumph Tiger 800XC; '03 Triumph Bonneville T100, 1968 Triumph TR6 Trophy 650cc
SWMBO: '13 HD Sportster; '06 Honda Big Ruckus

GaryRudolph
Explorer
Explorer
CarlT100 wrote:
I had that same problem with our toy hauler. I installed a barn door type sliding door on rollers. I will caution you that this does not seal as does the original door. So you could get gasoline fumes in the living area. We solved this by installing a kitchen vent fan in the garage.

Any pictures to see how it turned out?
Yah, I was thinking I could put a rubber gasket/molding around it to seal.

GaryRudolph
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
Not sure how old you are Gary, but as a child of the 60s I can't help but think of the hippy beads.

Was that ever in style! :B

CarlT100
Explorer
Explorer
I had that same problem with our toy hauler. I installed a barn door type sliding door on rollers. I will caution you that this does not seal as does the original door. So you could get gasoline fumes in the living area. We solved this by installing a kitchen vent fan in the garage.
Carl S
US Army Retired

'11 F-450, 6.7, 4X4, crewcab; '14 Fuzion Impact toyhauler
'12 Triumph Tiger 800XC; '03 Triumph Bonneville T100, 1968 Triumph TR6 Trophy 650cc
SWMBO: '13 HD Sportster; '06 Honda Big Ruckus

dedmiston
Not sure how old you are Gary, but as a child of the 60s I can't help but think of the hippy beads.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

GaryRudolph
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:

could also frame the opening and put a narrower house hold style door or bi-fold door there?

The bi-fold would only be half better. But you gave me an idea. Instead of bothering with a sliding I could just fit a door to the same size of the frame (of course after removing the door) with a small board to hold the bottom in and pull latches at the top. Keeps it sealed for driving, but when stopped allows to open it up.

GaryRudolph
Explorer
Explorer
Dirtclods wrote:
Have you considered removing the frame of the door and flipping it around to open from the inside.

I have, but the slide is right there and I think the door handle will interfere, plus there is molding I'd have to mess up.

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
Have you considered removing the frame of the door and flipping it around to open from the inside.
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

arhayes
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with Bumpy. I think you'd want a semi-secure door of some type for the insulation value alone. However, I could see taking a sheet of plexi or plywood and a piano hinge to fashion a door if it came to that. Remove and save the existing door and mount the hinge to make the temp one inward opening.
Alan and Kathleen
2015 Grand Design Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
2014 F350 6.7L Diesel DRW (Stormtrooper)
2012 Honda Goldwing NAVI/ABS (Land Speeder)

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I don't suppose it would be possible to have the door swing in instead of out or vice versa?
could also frame the opening and put a narrower house hold style door or bi-fold door there? just save the pieces so when you want to sell
bumpy