cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

looking at glowsteps

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
so I have the basic cheep brophy style steps on my camper and they are worn out. all the steps sit at different angles when they are deployed. I have a 4 step setup right now, would I just order a 4 step glowstep? or do I have to put the camper on the truck and measure before I buy them?

thanks
Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100
11 REPLIES 11

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Better buy too many steps and remove 1, than buy too little and pay $100 for each additional step.

silverbullet555
Explorer
Explorer
Measure to be sure on your range. I bought mine used and they are too long so I will be removing some steps. But, I was sure not to buy something too short as I didn't want to have to add steps.
1995 Northland Grizzly 860. 2355 lbs of purple goodness! Sold
2005 Lance 845 - Baby Bertha
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Classic CC SB 4WD
Torklift mounts
Torklift superhitch
Hellwig swaybar and 3500lb helper springs
2002 Cobalt 226 "Baby Blue"

joerg68
Nomad II
Nomad II
There is no bouncing, the stairs are stowed very securely.
But there needs to be a good, solid mounting surface under the entry door.

old standard mount:

new Stow & Go:

You can see that the spce under the door is limited. The bracket bolts through a simple ... maybe 2x4? We decided to add a piece of angle aluminum as reinforcement from behind:

Before, we needed to remove the stairs and store them inside the camper after each use. That wasn't too difficult, but a bit time consuming and inconvenient.
Now it always stays in place and can be extended or stowed in a matter of seconds.

You can also see that we added an extra license plate as the truck plate is obscured by the stowed stairs. But that is a german thing 😉
2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
joerg68 wrote:
We have the Landing Gear and the Stow & Go.
The Landing gear is a small modification and makes a big difference in how stable the stairs feel.
The Stow & Go is very concenient as you no longer need to fiddle around with the somewhat heavy stairs on each stop, and you have a place to store them while driving. At least that was the case for us. But you need a suitably stable place to mount the S&G.
The stairs are great as they are, don't get me wrong. For the first 10 years we were happy with the basic stair set.
They may require lubrication after some time.
You can always add an extra step. We have four, and sometimes that is just barely enough. I think TL provide a measuring guide on their webpage.
As many good things, they are not cheap, unfortunately.

ya I have been looking at the guide, the brophy 4 step is from 31" to 40" and the glowstep is from 31 - 38", so I think I should be good just getting a 4 step glowstep. I havent decided if I want the stow&go or just get the regular one, does it bounce around when you drive or is it locked in pretty good.

thanks
Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

joerg68
Nomad II
Nomad II
We have the Landing Gear and the Stow & Go.
The Landing gear is a small modification and makes a big difference in how stable the stairs feel.
The Stow & Go is very concenient as you no longer need to fiddle around with the somewhat heavy stairs on each stop, and you have a place to store them while driving. At least that was the case for us. But you need a suitably stable place to mount the S&G.
The stairs are great as they are, don't get me wrong. For the first 10 years we were happy with the basic stair set.
They may require lubrication after some time.
You can always add an extra step. We have four, and sometimes that is just barely enough. I think TL provide a measuring guide on their webpage.
As many good things, they are not cheap, unfortunately.
2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

Bedlam
The Revolution works on my side entry camper.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

gwalter
Explorer III
Explorer III
Directions for measuring are on their website. We love ours!
2010 Ram 3500 Laramie
2021 Bighorn 3120 RK
B & W Companion Hitch
Air Bags

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
You are welcome. 😄 Any way, do you like this link better? 😉 https://www.torklift.com/rv/stow-n-go

For the record, I think either would work. The mounting isn’t that much different.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
jimh425 wrote:
I think you should measure “at least close”, but the range is flexible to some extent. Also, consider the Landing.

https://www.torklift.com/rv/glowstep-revolution.

the revolutions are for travel trailers and 5th wheels, cant use them on my camper 😉

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think you should measure “at least close”, but the range is flexible to some extent. Also, consider the Landing.

https://www.torklift.com/rv/glowstep-revolution.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I’d measure on flat ground, fully loaded.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad