Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: looking at glowsteps
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> looking at glowsteps

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/20 05:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

so I have the basic cheep brophy style steps on my camper and they are worn out. all the steps sit at different angles when they are deployed. I have a 4 step setup right now, would I just order a 4 step glowstep? or do I have to put the camper on the truck and measure before I buy them?

thanks
Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

Lwiddis

near Jawbone Canyon, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/10/20 05:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’d measure on flat ground, fully loaded.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/20 06:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you should measure “at least close”, but the range is flexible to some extent. Also, consider the Landing.

https://www.torklift.com/rv/glowstep-revolution.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/20 07:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

I think you should measure “at least close”, but the range is flexible to some extent. Also, consider the Landing.

https://www.torklift.com/rv/glowstep-revolution.

the revolutions are for travel trailers and 5th wheels, cant use them on my camper [emoticon]

Steve

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/20 07:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are welcome. [emoticon] Any way, do you like this link better? [emoticon] https://www.torklift.com/rv/stow-n-go

For the record, I think either would work. The mounting isn’t that much different.

gwalter

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/10/20 10:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Directions for measuring are on their website. We love ours!

2010 Ram 3500 Laramie
2014 Heartland Bighorn Silverado 34SE
B & W Companion Hitch
Air Bags

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/20 11:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Revolution works on my side entry camper.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

joerg68

St. Ingbert, Germany

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/20 12:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have the Landing Gear and the Stow & Go.
The Landing gear is a small modification and makes a big difference in how stable the stairs feel.
The Stow & Go is very concenient as you no longer need to fiddle around with the somewhat heavy stairs on each stop, and you have a place to store them while driving. At least that was the case for us. But you need a suitably stable place to mount the S&G.
The stairs are great as they are, don't get me wrong. For the first 10 years we were happy with the basic stair set.
They may require lubrication after some time.
You can always add an extra step. We have four, and sometimes that is just barely enough. I think TL provide a measuring guide on their webpage.
As many good things, they are not cheap, unfortunately.

2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/20 06:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

joerg68 wrote:

We have the Landing Gear and the Stow & Go.
The Landing gear is a small modification and makes a big difference in how stable the stairs feel.
The Stow & Go is very concenient as you no longer need to fiddle around with the somewhat heavy stairs on each stop, and you have a place to store them while driving. At least that was the case for us. But you need a suitably stable place to mount the S&G.
The stairs are great as they are, don't get me wrong. For the first 10 years we were happy with the basic stair set.
They may require lubrication after some time.
You can always add an extra step. We have four, and sometimes that is just barely enough. I think TL provide a measuring guide on their webpage.
As many good things, they are not cheap, unfortunately.

ya I have been looking at the guide, the brophy 4 step is from 31" to 40" and the glowstep is from 31 - 38", so I think I should be good just getting a 4 step glowstep. I havent decided if I want the stow&go or just get the regular one, does it bounce around when you drive or is it locked in pretty good.

thanks
Steve

joerg68

St. Ingbert, Germany

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/20 06:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is no bouncing, the stairs are stowed very securely.
But there needs to be a good, solid mounting surface under the entry door.

old standard mount:
[image]

new Stow & Go:
[image]

You can see that the spce under the door is limited. The bracket bolts through a simple ... maybe 2x4? We decided to add a piece of angle aluminum as reinforcement from behind:
[image]

Before, we needed to remove the stairs and store them inside the camper after each use. That wasn't too difficult, but a bit time consuming and inconvenient.
Now it always stays in place and can be extended or stowed in a matter of seconds.

You can also see that we added an extra license plate as the truck plate is obscured by the stowed stairs. But that is a german thing ;-)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> looking at glowsteps
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.