Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

truck for towing.

whendrix13
Explorer
Explorer
Good Morning,

Im buying a new camper this spring( 2021 season) It is 5800# dry travel trailer. My current one is 4000# dry with about 600# of stuff inside. so the new one would be about 64 to 6500# loaded.

I currently have a 07 classic 1500 silverado with 168k miles on it. It tows the old one fine, we don't go more than 3 to 4 hrs away when we go out. With the new one being bigger( and kids are bored going to the same spots) we want to go further out, like states away. I was thinking new truck maybe in store. i talked to a couple of people and by could probably 15, and some say the new 1500s( medium duty) trucks will be fine, some say go HD. HD because the torque converter, tow capacity, built to tow things etc. Im not going diesel because i just want one, unless it a good price.

I know my truck now can do 3800 to 7700# towing, but at 13 yrs old, I'm on OEM trans, new u joints( blew em in June on a trip) and new out put shaft and OEM motor. Im worried about power and longevity of my truck now.

Am I wrong to think that? Are the nw medium dutys the way to go or are HDs the way to go?
25 REPLIES 25

ZINGERLITE
Explorer
Explorer
whendrix13 wrote:
GrandpaKip wrote:
Have you considered a 3500 van?

No van. if im going to a van i might as well buy Cousin Eddie's RV.... hahahhaha

"That there's and R...V...!"

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
whendrix13 wrote:
GrandpaKip wrote:

No van. if im going to a van i might as well buy Cousin Eddie's RV.... hahahhaha

10-4 on that!
Ain't noone "wants" a 1 ton 2wd shortbus for a daily driver, much less in Wisconsin!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

whendrix13
Explorer
Explorer
GrandpaKip wrote:

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

whendrix13
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
So you are getting a bigger heavier TT. yet think that you will carry the same anount of stuff as you did with the smaller TT.... That does not compute.

How does that not compute?? Selling old trailer... pots, pans, sheets, pillows, other items being moved over to new TT. yes i think i can carry the same items.. its a bigger trailer because weve grown out of it.

As i see here most would say upgrade to 2500, 250s. due to everything

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
So you are getting a bigger heavier TT. yet think that you will carry the same anount of stuff as you did with the smaller TT.... That does not compute.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 2012 Sierra, max tow capacity. I went to the 2500 gasser this year. I would never go back. Stability, ease of breaking and speeding up to pass people on the highways. Gas millage is ablut the same for me. And the ride is a bit rougher unloaded. You can tow with a 1500 , but it will struggle up mountians etc. You dont need a diesel if you dont want one. I dont. The gasser is good for me.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
whendrix13 wrote:
Valhalla360

5.3l vortec V8, Its a STOCK 07 1500 classic.
loading is the same for longer trips as it would be for shorter.

Have had and driven "most" models of light duty tucks in the last 30 years.

Those are nice trucks, but IMO out matched for a bigger TT approaching 7klbs. Safe? Yes. Performance? Pahtetic might be a bit strong, but not by much (compared to most all newer trucks).

Newer 6 speed half tons, aka 5 year old ish Gm 5.3s, 6.2s, 8 speed Hemi Rams and F150 5.0s and Eco boosts will all pull the doors off that 07 and have better brakes. Rear suspensions haven't changed much.
Step up to 8-10 speeds and the newest versions of the big 3 1/2 tons and even more power.
Need a 3/4 ton or bigger?? Absolutely not, by a long shot, however if you would prefer one, you will not be disappointed in the performance of the chassis (suspension and brakes). But you wont' really gain much, if anything, in straight line performance.

Same thing applies now as it always has. For a mid size trailer like you're considering, a primary DD truck and occasional towing, 1/2 ton will still serve you better. Don't mind the fuel mileage loss and bigger, rougher truck and/or tow more than occasionally? HD pickup is the better choice. Cost difference apples to apples features and gasser HD to gasser 1/2 ton is almost negligible, IMO.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
valhalla360 wrote:
What are the specs on the old truck (engine, payload, GVRW, Axle ratings, tow rating, etc...) and how do you plan to load it (will that be different with longer trips)?

To little info to say if the truck can handle the new rig and loading.

168k miles is nothing to worry about if the ratings are up to snuff for the loading and it's otherwise in good condition.

I'd say 168k miles on a 4L60e and counting is worth considering worrying about if one doesn't want to sink another few grand into an already older high mile truck. At least based on the dozens of half ton chevys we run daily. (or any other brand for that fact)

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I think you are right in line with the capability of the stronger half tons ~5years old. You will gain more engine power and at least 2 more trans gears. If this will be mostly for towing, then I recommend nearly any 3/4 ton from similar era. You'll get the same power/trans benefits plus stronger components and cooling capacity for more durability and lower maintenance costs.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
You can pull a big trailer...but can you safely carry the weight....payload runs out first.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

gmckenzie
Explorer
Explorer
My 2015 Sierra (half ton) has a payload of a little more than 2,000 lbs. I tow an 8,200 lb (GVW) trailer and the last time I ran over a scale, I was 75 lbs over the truck GVWR. This is for 2 of us and 2 small dogs. No kids so a lot less gear than a family would have.

I'm looking at the new gas one-tons for when I eventually get a bigger RV. Not much point to a 2500 when the 3500 is less than a grand more and has 1000 lbs more payload. Not looking to get a diesel, and I would avoid a used 2500 Diesel as the payload is not much more than I have now.
2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Most 1/2 ton trucks won’t have enough payload for a growing family of 5 plus wood, bikes, kayaks etc and still have enough left for tongue weight. Been there. Get a 2500 gasser of your choice and never worry about being overweight or what you pack.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Played the payload game for years with the half tons and ended up with a 2500, game over.