Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: truck for towing.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> truck for towing.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
whendrix13

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/20 08:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good Morning,

Im buying a new camper this spring( 2021 season) It is 5800# dry travel trailer. My current one is 4000# dry with about 600# of stuff inside. so the new one would be about 64 to 6500# loaded.

I currently have a 07 classic 1500 silverado with 168k miles on it. It tows the old one fine, we don't go more than 3 to 4 hrs away when we go out. With the new one being bigger( and kids are bored going to the same spots) we want to go further out, like states away. I was thinking new truck maybe in store. i talked to a couple of people and by could probably 15, and some say the new 1500s( medium duty) trucks will be fine, some say go HD. HD because the torque converter, tow capacity, built to tow things etc. Im not going diesel because i just want one, unless it a good price.

I know my truck now can do 3800 to 7700# towing, but at 13 yrs old, I'm on OEM trans, new u joints( blew em in June on a trip) and new out put shaft and OEM motor. Im worried about power and longevity of my truck now.

Am I wrong to think that? Are the nw medium dutys the way to go or are HDs the way to go?

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/20 08:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It does not cost much more at all to have a bigger truck. Then you can tow anything with confidence. I would rather have a used diesel than a new gas truck any day.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/20 08:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of improvement on the newer trucks! Many 1/2 ton trucks capable of a 7K lb loaded TT. The newer transmissions with 6 or more speeds a huge improvement!

You don't say how many kids, and the bikes, gear, fire wood, and all the extra stuff going in the truck. If you don't mind a little rougher ride, a 2500 will make the tow easier, and not worry about loading the truck down.

Jerry

whendrix13

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/20 08:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL( Jerry) 3 kids, 5 bikes, 5 kayaks, and about 100#of wood. the bikes and food are in the camper( bike rack on back of camper) thats included in the 4600# on the current one. I scaled it out two years ago for fun on a trip .

ssthrd

Vancouver Island

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/20 08:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your story is similar to mine where I started with a Tacoma towing 5,000 lbs to a Tundra towing 7,000 lbs to a GMC HD towing the same 7,000 lbs, with a 14,000 lb 5er in my future. Seems like a natural progression.

The Tundra is rated for 9800 lbs, but I would not want to tow much more than 7,000 lbs with it. The HD (rated for about 4,000 lbs more) was definitely the way to go for me as it made those longer trips a much easier and relaxing drive, and it will look after any upgrades that might come along later. The difference in towing experience is amazing, and I'm glad that I made the move.

Tough decision to make for sure

2013 Wilderness 2750RL
2018 GMC Denali 3500HD with Duramax
2013 Tundra Limited 5.7l Tow Package
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/20 08:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2500HD. Then you won't be back on here in six weeks asking about tires, suspension upgrades, and high priced hitches. Plus, you are ready for your next trailer. Oh yeah, you will enjoy your longer trips.

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/20 09:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With that much stuff and people I would get a 2500 or 250.

My answer would be different if it was just you and your wife.

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/20 09:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought a new F250 in 13, and enjoy driving it, even around town empty. I think with that load, you are better off with the 250/2500. They really aren't any larger, in actual size, but much better in towing, and payload capability. The HD gas models will use more fuel, when empty, but will be similar to 1/2 ton mileage when towing. My truck empty, around 70 mph gets about 15 mpg, and towing my FW at 60-65, about 8-10 mpg.

Jerry

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/20 09:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What are the specs on the old truck (engine, payload, GVRW, Axle ratings, tow rating, etc...) and how do you plan to load it (will that be different with longer trips)?

To little info to say if the truck can handle the new rig and loading.

168k miles is nothing to worry about if the ratings are up to snuff for the loading and it's otherwise in good condition.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

whendrix13

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/20 09:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Valhalla360

5.3l vortec V8, Its a STOCK 07 1500 classic.
loading is the same for longer trips as it would be for shorter.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> truck for towing.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.