cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unplanned Maintenance

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
We’ve got an older Class C, which has seen minimal use.....considering age! With our summer travels being minimized this year, we decided to use the motor home for our tri-monthly shopping trip! Figuring that it needs some fresh fuel, and a little exercise for the driveline and the ac.

While in the store, we left the generator running for ac power....leaving the dogs camping out! We returned in about an hour, with the generator “not” running, and the interior getting warm A longer period of time or in an extremely hot region.... this could have been ugly! We have a fairly large project planned for our little class c this summer ( 4 panel solar system) but, generator repairs were “not” on the list!

Once home, and trying to diagnose the problem.....the generator would start, run for a short while, then die! So, I started with the least expensive, easiest to replace and most likely culprit....the fuel filter. Problem Solved!!

This long diatribe is primarily a bit of advice. A very simple thing (fuel filter) could cause you much discomfort and perhaps much worse will on the road. Changing your filter prior to starting your trip could save you some headaches. I recommend having a spare ( cheap, light, small) filter. As much fuel that we go through when on a trip, and never being certain about the quality of every fuel purchase.....a spare filter may save you some heartache!

As many spare parts and tools that we carry ......we didn’t have this little item! memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl
12 REPLIES 12

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Even though the OPs issue was a bad fuel filter, like others mentioned, bad fuel probably takes out more generators. Given most all on board gas gennys run off the vehicle fuel tank and running non ethanol gas in a big gas hog is anything but economical, it would be beneficial to put a valve on the gas line if there isn’t one, and run it dry it out of service for a while.
For portable engines, the easy button if inconvenient to run it dry is use a fuel stabilizer, non ethanol or aviation fuel. With av gas being the best solution for long term storage.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
To all.....I relayed this, hoping that it may help someone. I carry far more stuff than the average RVver for roadside problems....but, overlooked this simple little item!

Thanks for the kind words, after all .....we’re all in this together! memtb
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
Thanks a lot for the description on where the fuel filter is located! Our small Class C has the same model Onan in it (2005 vintage).

P.S. Do you still have 3 Miniature Schnauzers? Our little people-dog RV'ing companion is an 8 lb. Havenese. (It took a few trips before we found out a way to play fetch with her inside a 24 foot RV!)

No Sir, we lost our oldest ( my Dad’s dog), left us last September. She was getting on up in age (14) and had a heart condition! We still miss her! memtb
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
memtb, to echo 'naturist'....thank you for the reminder. I keep meaning to order a filter but keep forgetting to do it. :S
now im going to do it. 🙂

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks a lot for the description on where the fuel filter is located! Our small Class C has the same model Onan in it (2005 vintage).

P.S. Do you still have 3 Miniature Schnauzers? Our little people-dog RV'ing companion is an 8 lb. Havenese. (It took a few trips before we found out a way to play fetch with her inside a 24 foot RV!)
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols, We have the little Onan Micro Quiet 4000 generator (2007 vintage)! The filter is located on the end of the unit, near the manual start button and breaker area. The filter is somewhat hidden by a rubber boot/plug in the lower part of the generator housing. The “dead giveaway” is the 3/8” (I think) rubber fuel line routed up from it toward the RV frame. A 9/16” deep socket makes removal easy. It’s a little awkward to access, but a 9/16” open end wrench, and a little patience could get the job done! hope that this discription was somewhat clear. Among my many shortcomings.....giving directions may be my “greatest”! :B memtb
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
memtb wrote:
We’ve got an older Class C, which has seen minimal use.....considering age! With our summer travels being minimized this year, we decided to use the motor home for our tri-monthly shopping trip! Figuring that it needs some fresh fuel, and a little exercise for the driveline and the ac.

While in the store, we left the generator running for ac power....leaving the dogs camping out! We returned in about an hour, with the generator “not” running, and the interior getting warm A longer period of time or in an extremely hot region.... this could have been ugly! We have a fairly large project planned for our little class c this summer ( 4 panel solar system) but, generator repairs were “not” on the list!

Once home, and trying to diagnose the problem.....the generator would start, run for a short while, then die! So, I started with the least expensive, easiest to replace and most likely culprit....the fuel filter. Problem Solved!!

This long diatribe is primarily a bit of advice. A very simple thing (fuel filter) could cause you much discomfort and perhaps much worse will on the road. Changing your filter prior to starting your trip could save you some headaches. I recommend having a spare ( cheap, light, small) filter. As much fuel that we go through when on a trip, and never being certain about the quality of every fuel purchase.....a spare filter may save you some heartache!

As many spare parts and tools that we carry ......we didn’t have this little item! memtb

If your generator is an Onan unit, where is it's fuel filter located?

We sometimes for a few hours in warm weather leave our Class C motorhome with our people-dog inside and the generator and A/C running. However as backups, we keep the roof vents open and the roof vent fan (set on high) in one of them pulling outside air through the length of the the motorhome. In addition, we leave a powerful 12V fan sitting on the floor aimed at the dog in her playpen so as to have air blowing right at her. This means that if the generator or A/C should fail, at least the interior air gets about no hotter than the outside air temperature and the dog has a blast of air directly on her at all times. FWIW regarding the heat-gain of our Class C in warm weather - the coach and cab are white color.

P.S.: Once when parked way out there along the Colorado river in Arizona we came back to the RV and the A/C had quit with our people-dog inside. Luckily she was just fine (i.e. no tongue hanging out) - due to the backup fans.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Thank you for the reminder to PAY ATTENTION to the details. We all need a wee jostling of the elbow from time to time. It it isn't a fuel filter, it'll be something else.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
The generator needs to be "exercised" regularly keep fresher fuel in the system. It takes very little to gum up a carburetor on a small engine.

I use fuel treatment in my fuel containers for my small engines (rototiller, power washer etc) and I STILL have issues.

"mechanic in a bottle" available at big orange store, for yard engines works great.

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
Agreed- carrying a set of basic maintenance parts saves time while in the road. I paid double for a filter on the road once, and have carried one ever since.
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
x2 and keep the fuel tank above a quarter tank, some units shut off the gen set at a quarter tank.

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
Generally speaking, the longer they sit, the more they fall apart. Run the wheels off it!! Happy travels.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus