cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.6L V6 2014

john4az
Explorer
Explorer
Researching realistic towing capability for a 5000 lb unloaded Rv Trailer - looked at AirStreams 18-22 feet

Towing capability listed is 6200 lbs --BUT-- vehicle is 2014 2 wd
and I am concerned about towing up and down hills, is 290 HP enough?

Thinking of a 6000 lb U-Haul installed hitch(etc).

Do Not want to be the right land blockade on interstates....

Some forums suggest keeping trailer weight to 3500 lbsempty..
Help
I want to understand a realistic expectation for my 2014 Jeep

John L
12 REPLIES 12

mm047
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't have a hitch already it means you don't have a tow package, so your towing capacity is 3500#.
Mike M.

2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6
2016 Flagstaff 21FBRS
Equal-I-Zer

Hammerhead
Explorer
Explorer
You also need to pay a Jeep dealer to activate the trailer wiring harness. Even if the wiring is already there, itโ€™s not turned on without the tow package.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Speaking of the Gladiator.
How can Stellantis (Chrysler), master kick butt, in your face, fast cars and class leading trucks saddle a vehicle with nearly a $60k msrp loaded, with only the anemic V6?
And then advertise them as capable towing vehicles?
Although it would be the perfect candidate for a small lightweight Turbo six, aka eco boost type motor or a diesel (in the works for 2021 models I believe).
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Iโ€™ve driven the newer V6 JGC. 8 speed is typical spot on ZF8hp trans. And itโ€™s peppy, but IMO thatโ€™s too much trailer for anything but low altitude flatland towing.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Community Alumni
Not applicable
2014 V6 4X4 Jeep Grand Cherokee owner here. I towed a travel trailer with a loaded weight of 5,000 pounds for two years without any problems. As other have stated, you may need to keep and eye on your payload.

You mentioned you would have to install a hitch on your JGC. If so, it tells me your Jeep does not have the factory towing package and you can only tow 3,500 pounds.

parker_rowe
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:

Not exactly apples to apples, but TFL did a review of a Jeep Gladiator, powered by the V6, pulling a trailer up Ike. It was heavier than you are suggesting (if I remember right), but probably less wind resistance. Search that video and see if you think you would be happy with that type of performance. Because I don't think I would be.

I watched that one, I remember watching the tach and thinking how little fun that would be.

I've never owned a diesel so I'm used to letting gassers turn some RPMS up hills...but that was crazy.

At least the 3.6 is pretty smooth at high RPM. We have one in our van.
2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I really like Jeeps. I have a 2014 Grand Cherokee myself - but with an EcoDiesel. It has the same 8 speed ZF tranny (which is fantastic). And the vehicle itself makes a good tow vehicle for its size.

All that said, I just don't think the V6 is up to the task of a trailer that big. It won't be "drop down a gear", it will likely be running in 5th most of the time, turning a ton of RPMs, and swilling fuel.

Not exactly apples to apples, but TFL did a review of a Jeep Gladiator, powered by the V6, pulling a trailer up Ike. It was heavier than you are suggesting (if I remember right), but probably less wind resistance. Search that video and see if you think you would be happy with that type of performance. Because I don't think I would be.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
X2, Valhalla. Donโ€™t understand what OPโ€™s research is accomplishing if he/she doesnโ€™t know his payload max.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
The payload is likely the killer.

I did a quick check online and it looks like you only have 1100lb payload. At 6200lb, you should have around 700-900lb hitch weight. Assuming 2 of you at 150lb plus 100lb for the hitch, that puts you at 1100-1300lb before putting anything else in the truck and that presumes you don't have any after market add-ons (like running boards).

290hp should actually be fine. You may need to drop down a gear and let the RPM go up to make that 290hp but if you look at tow vehicles from the 1970-1980's, it was common for big V8 engines to have 200-250hp.

Ignore the unloaded weight and go for the GVWR of the trailer for a good starting point. Given the payload limits, I'd be looking at 4500-5000 GVWR as the upper end of trailers to consider.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I put 140,000 towing miles on a Highlander with 270 HP V6, towing trailers in the 2700-3500 lb range and no more than 7' wide, 100" high. (Wind resistance is the big thing at highway speed, but weight will bite you on the hills.) It did okay on the highway if I kept it mostly at about 60 mph. I looked long at hard at replacing it with a JGC about 5 years ago, but went with a V8 Lexus GX instead. IMO you will not be at all happy with performance of the V6 JGC if you tow something that large, even though the Airstream's rounded shape will help you some with the wind resistance. With a low, narrow trailer and less than 4500 lbs loaded weight, you stand a chance of being satisfied.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Your tow vehicleโ€™s payload and max trailer weight is?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
With a V8 model youโ€™d be fine but the V6 will struggle with a trailer already at 5k unloaded. Once loaded you will exceed your tow rating.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley