cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handling issues 2005 Fleetwood Expedition 34H

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2005 Fleetwood Expedition 34H. This is a diesel pusher with a Cat C7 and a Freightliner chassis. I purchased this coach about 18 months ago from a private party. The tires that were on it were original (Michelin)and I was afraid to drive it with tires that old so I took it straight to the tire shop before driving it the 2 hours home.

I made the tire order before picking it up so they would have the tires on hand. I had a choice between Firestone and Michelin the Michelin tires were $1500 more than the Firestone so I chose the Firestone.

The issue I am having is the coach wanders and requires a constant steering correction to stay in your lane you can't take your eyes away to hardly look into the rear view mirror with departing your lane. I have a commercial drivers license so I am not new to driving large vehicles.

The Firestone tires are FS 561 275/70R22.5 they are maximum tire pressure 130 PSI. The fronts had 95 PSI in them and the rear tires had 105 PSI in them. They tried inflating them to 120 PSI front and 110 in the rear but that did not make it better.

I ran the coach over the scales and I have 7500# on the front axle and 16240# on the rear axle.

Monday I have an appointment to have the front end aligned. The tire shop has offered to exchange the tires for the Michelin tires but I will have to pay the upgraded price. I am happy they are offering to do that Bottom line I am just trying to get this thing to handle properly I will pay to upgrade the tires if that will make it better.

I tried to contact Firestone to get a recommended tire pressure but they never responded to my email.

Can anyone add any good info for me?
Thanks Mike
2005 34' Expedition Cat C7 Allison 3000
14 REPLIES 14

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Yes. I think it's normal at this point if they set the toe properly. The F53 is a handful to keep on the road. So. A year it's just new to you and it's going to take some time getting used to it. A steering stabilizer will be a good addition no matter what.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
I got the front end aligned today the tech said Toe was out and it needs new shocks. They did not have shocks and could not find them they said it was probably a dealer item?? I will call my local truck shop that works on Freightliner to see if they have the proper shocks for it.

The tech recommended a steering stabilizer so I think I will order that. The 5 miles I spent on the freeway on the way home seemed it was much better. They also lowered tire pressure to 95 PSI front and 100 PSI rear like was suggested on here.

It seems it is much better but I am going to get the new shocks and the steering stabilizer that is less than upgrading to the new tires which I am not convinced would make much difference.

Thanks for the help.
Mike

islandvagabonds
Explorer
Explorer
Been there with my freightliner chassis!
Do the following:
Alignment
Steersafe kit from Demming NM. Install it yourself.
Koni fsd shocks all around. Originals were toast at 30k miles.
Replace the bushings(4)on the front axle sway bar. Easy job.
95psi in all 6 tires.you will have a 5-10% safety margin bases on load.

I did the above and now my 03 Discovery 39s is a two finger one handed drive. No stress now! Total cost approx. $1200.
Believe me it worked!

Bob

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
How was the MH driving before the tires? If you didn't have the problem before en it's in the tires. I personally don't like Firestones, and I like Michelins even less, but with these sizes you don't have much choice in brand. I know Firestones have a tendenacy to pull, but that's in car and LT tires.

Let us know what the alignment shows.

I don't know how it was before as I put the tires on the day I bought it before driving it home. I went on a short test drive and had the owner drive it so I could check things out while he drove we didn't go far.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe a steering stabilizer or SteerSafe would help if the alignment doesn't work.

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
MountainAir05 wrote:
I think you have too much air pressure along with Alignment check.

I agree, too much air pressure in the tires. The manufacturers specified inflation will be on a placard next to the drivers seat on the wall below the drivers side window. Set your tires to whatever the manufacturer recommends and see if this solves your issue.
2010 Suncruiser

w4phj
Explorer
Explorer
I run my Michelin's 275 70 22.5 at 90psi since they are oversize for the coach. Drives like a dream. Tire footprint is critical.
2021 Winnebago View 24J
2021 Ram pick up
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Ham Radio Extra Class Volunteer Examiner
FAA A&P License

1969 Plymouth Road Runner

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
How was the MH driving before the tires? If you didn't have the problem before en it's in the tires. I personally don't like Firestones, and I like Michelins even less, but with these sizes you don't have much choice in brand. I know Firestones have a tendenacy to pull, but that's in car and LT tires.

Let us know what the alignment shows.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
I bought my 07 Itasca Meridian with 380000 miles on it last year. I have the same cat c7 on a freightliner frame with michelin tires. When I first got the coach I took it to a trusted chassis shop to go over everything related to the chassis. While greasing the front steering zerks they noticed the front wheel bearings were not good. Point is make sure all of your frame components are in good working order before working on the tires. My coach runs straight and true with 95-100 psi in front and 100 psi rear.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
We had our revolution aligned several expensive times. One in Missouri they even bent the front axle straight... Finally, at the factory they checked thing out and...the rear axle, right side I think was maybe an inch forward of the other side on the frame. They loosened bot sides aligned the axles perpendicular to the frame and welded in spacers/washers. It steers much much better. That was probably 8 years ago. Also those rubber sway bar links were chewed up. They replaced them.
last week I finally got polyurathane sway bar bushings installed.Shocks contribute greatly to all the handling ills. Had them replaced last week too.
A rear sway bar is next. I thought it had one but it doesn't.

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
MountainAir05 wrote:

How much do you run in yours?

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
garyemunson wrote:
My guess the alignment shop will find too much toe-out, maybe worn parts. Firestone makes good tires, it's not them.

It is possible but I don't think the parts should be worn too much it has 38,655 miles on it. I am hoping the alignment will help. I am not sold on it being the tires.

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
My guess the alignment shop will find too much toe-out, maybe worn parts. Firestone makes good tires, it's not them. Miles on the coach?