Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Engine repair / upgrade after road trip
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Engine repair / upgrade after road trip

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/20 03:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice!

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/20 03:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I was driving 7.3l to customer house, the customer was always waiting for me on his driveway. He could hear me 3 blocks away in quiet neighborhood.
Some people like noisy engine and I heard Mustangs or "rice cookers" driven with muffler delete. but I really enjoy listening to the radio in 6.7l for a change.
Have fun with your truck.

KKELLER14K

BEAVERTON OREGON

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/20 10:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2nd gen 2002 Cummins that had the dreaded #6 piston nozzle get plugged and melted the piston down...bad oil filters at 55,000 miles. What a horrible experience...but in light of that, I had an opportunity to do what was a no brainier. Rebuilt it like new..it already was an HO because I have the 6 speed manual...but...I went from the 245 injectors to 275's....all new rebuild with .20 over pistons. I just got a Banks brake and an ARB air locker for the front Dana 60....You know this will be a truck I will have forever...look at my profile. There would be no reason to spend 90k on a new one when this one is paid for...just new upgrades will keep it in the now.

mellow

Salisbury, MD

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/20 08:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been keeping my 02 stock but will start to slowly upgrade it now that I just upgraded the clutch to a South Bend HD and got the ZF6 issues sorted out. Should be solid for quite a bit of HP now. I just put in a 6637 filter in it and took out the stock air box and can tell a difference from just that alone. I will slowly upgrade other parts as I go along, new bellowed up pipes are in my future as well and when I do that I will do some turbo work and some valley work while that is out.

2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/20 08:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KKELLER14K wrote:

... There would be no reason to spend 90k on a new one when this one is paid for...just new upgrades will keep it in the now.

Reminds me the 1969 Ford LTD I bought/got from my neighbor for $1 about 10 years ago.
I repaired it, repainted and had some fun with 2 door 6 seater, but eventually found bigger enthusiast who paid me $500 for it.
The fun has its limit with new technology offering so much, beside more than 7 mpg.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/20 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Every mechanic that has ever looked at my 7.3 has said the same thing:
"do not ever sell it."
Fix it and get down the road.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/20 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

Reminds me the 1969 Ford LTD I bought/got from my neighbor for $1 about 10 years ago.

I don’t get the comparison, but if you can buy a 2000+ model diesel that is running for $1, you better do that and turn them over as fast as you can.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/20 10:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you think you can buy running 2000+ MY diesel for $1, no wonder you can't get comparison.
But just becouse you can get older vehicles cheaper, doesn't mean it makes much sense.
I can understand that a hobbyist who lost a job is buying cheap, older diesel and with his labor having 0 value, he fixes and mods it.
I just polished aluminium pontoons on my patio boat, becouse I can't live without a project.
But if you have money to buy newer model, not only your driving comfort will go way up, but the newer engine will pay you back in fuel saving.
Not even saying that going from 250 HP in 7.3l to 440 HP in 6.7l brought whole new dimension to performance.

adamis

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/20 10:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure if I mentioned this in my previous messages but the Estimate Peter gave for HP figures was 450 at the crank. Obviously it is a guestimate but I trust his numbers as he used to race 7.3s at the track in his earlier days when he had a heavily modded 7.3 Excursion. Would be interesting to put it on a dyno someday but I'm in no hurry.

What I will say from just the little bit of driving is that I've honestly not even floored it yet and it's been scary fast. Putting the pedal down just 2/3rds of the way pushes you back into the seat hard. Since it redlines at 3000 rpm and idles at 900 rpm, there is really just 2000rpm to work with between each gear shift. 1st gear is pretty much useless as it will just smoke rubber, 2nd gear goes by very quik and 3rd gear is where the most fun is as it starts pulling HARD. Passing won't be a problem any longer.

I've not driven it with the camper on the truck yet. That will come this weekend once I pick it up from my friends place who let me store it there. Rest assured, there won't be any full throttle sends with the camper of course. I am looking forward to the next trip in the mountains to see how the EGTs hold up. That will be the ultimate test that matters for me. Before these mods I really wasn't lacking for power but the EGTs where always high so I could only go about half throttle on a steep grade when pulling the camper and trailer together.

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/20 01:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

But just becouse you can get older vehicles cheaper, doesn't mean it makes much sense.

You don’t seem to be aware of what OPs vehicle is capable of with a tune and some other modifications. I didn’t buy a new vehicle because I couldn’t justify the 30-40K difference. I’m assuming the OP is the same except with a larger difference.

Your truck is an old one now, so when are you trading again. [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Engine repair / upgrade after road trip
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.