cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motor Carrier Road Atlas

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
Those of you that use one as a trip planning tool, how often do you get a new copy?

I see the 2021 issue is out, so my 2017 version is looking old.

I hate to spend a case of beer unnecessarily, but a single routing screw up caused by out of date maps would cover that cost pretty quickly.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73
3 REPLIES 3

dedmiston
My wife works in construction and I used to give her a new Thomas Guide every year for Christmas to get the latest updates. It was kind of a joke though, because even in the best scenario this year's new guide only had the roads and projects she built last year and it couldn't ever have this year's projects because she hadn't built them yet.

For something like a road atlas though, my feeling is that something like that is kind of a dying product and if I want to continue to use it, I'd better be prepared to support it and pay up every year.

In my truck, I pay for the updated NAV data usually once a year or every 18 months.

Honestly though, there isn't a huge risk to having slightly outdated maps. It's rare that roads are deleted; it's just new roads being added. So if you don't have the latest info, you'll probably just miss a shorter route but not drive off a cliff where a road was deleted.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Devocamper
Explorer
Explorer
I replace mine every few years , we mainly use it for the planing travel on the interstates and low clearances which don’t change very often. I have a 10 year old copy of the east and west mountain directory books and now they have a app so haven’t replaced them either the mountain grades don’t change either .
08 NU-WA Hitchhiker Discover America 339 RSB Sold
18 Host Mammoth
07 Chevy 3500HD LT1 EXT Cab LB DRW D/A Sold
18 Ram 3500 SLT Crew Cab DRW 4x2 6.4 4.10's

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW and IMO, spend the 20 bucks each year for a new atlas. Some will say that if you get a RV/semi friendly GPS it may have a update avail each year you can download or so. I'm old fashion and like to look at maps, so for me a semi atlas is very useful
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"