Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Full Timer's A/C Question

ThruTraffic
Explorer
Explorer
2011 Phoenix Cruiser 2551

I've been living in my rig for almost a year now and using the Dometic A/C about 5 months of that. It runs pretty much ALL the time.

My question is are these A/C units really designed for that type of duty cycle. My default thought is no since most RVs are used occasionally and not 24/7/365. The previous owner was an occasional RV user and this looks to be the original A/C unit.

What has been your full timer experience with how long these roof top units last?

Have you had to take any extraordinary measures to use them in a full-timer mode?

Any tips/tricks to make them last longer other than ordinary A/C maintenance?
9 REPLIES 9

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is just a machine. It does not get tired or need a day of rest.

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have run ours continually several times for 30 and 40 days between moves .

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
I have had one rooftop AC fail in twenty years as a full timer and it failed in the first few months. I run the heck out of them, often for days at a time in South Texas heat and humidity.

ThruTraffic
Explorer
Explorer
I had to replace the cover last year and cleaned it the best I could. I wanted to use some coil cleaner and a hose but couldnโ€™t figure out how to do that without pulling the unit to the ground or fill the coach with water.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
They have no problem with running full time.
One thing though. And this applies to ALL air conditioners
RV Window and whole house,.

The condensers get "Grunged up" with crud that eventually clogs the condenser. then they don't work.

Now on a Coleman like my front one you remove 4 phillips head bolts from the top. Lift the cover off. Peal the crud off (Cotton wood cotton is a real bummer) put the cover back 4 screws job done.

Others it's about 10 or 12 screws around the bottom. lift the top off. Then more screws or other items to remove the condenser cover (do not even ask on Advent Air the cover is not designed to be removed) I've had to take the fan off the motor. then I cleaned it.. Reassemble and the A/C is many times better.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
When temps got above 100*F the A/C ran almost continuously......for as long as needed

OEM A/C is 13 yrs old and still going strong when needed
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

ThruTraffic
Explorer
Explorer
Second Chance wrote:
You don't say where you are or what the ambient temps have been - that information would be helpful.
Rob

It's hot enough to run the air conditioner.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
You don't say where you are or what the ambient temps have been - that information would be helpful. Here are some of the things full-timers do to help mitigate heat/cold:

1) Cut Reflectix (bubble-foil insulation) to fit in the windows during very hot or cold weather (in your Class C, the front windshield is a HUGE loss/gain factor).

2) Buy the insulated cushions to fit in any roof vents you have while they're not in use (i.e. in the bathroom).

3) Use the awning to shade the sunny side of the rig when possible (do not leave it out when you're gone).

4) If your thermostat allows, set it to "High Cool" rather than "Auto." The fan will run on high all the time keeping air circulating and the compressor will cycle as needed. This also reduces the chances of the coils freezing up if you're in a high humidity area.

Many full-timers get years of service out of the ACs. Get it serviced annually to have the coils cleaned, etc. (or do it yourself). It's there for a purpose - use it and repair/replace as necessary. Since they are sealed units, there's little else you can do other than keep everything clean.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Really not much different than a household unit, just a different configuration of the parts to reside on the roof.

I would argue regular use is likely better than sitting for months before a hard 3-4 days then sitting for months.

Biggest issue I would see, is make sure you have good power supply. Low voltage is a common problem at RV parks and over time, that can burn out the unit. It's a gradual process so someone running on low voltage a few days per year may get away with many years before it fails. A full timer would rack up those days far more quickly.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV