cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What is your best Potato Salad recipe

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
I love potato salad the Amish type the southern and German.

Please post your best award winner for us to try out.

Thanks, also love baked beans if you have a crowd stopper.
12 REPLIES 12

LindaAnn
Explorer
Explorer
I use my Mom's recipe for Potato Salad. It's not totally "traditional", but all the family loved it. She very seldom "measured" when she cooked. She peeled and boiled potatoes. When they were "done", she drained them really well....then mashed them. Then she added some boiled eggs, chopped; a small amount of diced onion; sweet pickles that she chopped herself (she never used relish because she said it was "sticky": some chopped pimento; then mayo,a "tad" of mustard, salt, pepper to taste. Along with her potato salad, she made wonderful chicken salad and Thanksgiving dressing. Thank Goodness I watched her through the years and finally wrote down her "recipes".

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
My dad made the good old fashioned potato salad with onions, celery, pickles some dry mustard, hard boiled eggs and mayo type. Really good stuff. I was pretty sure it was the best ever...til my wife dropped this on me!
2 lbs. red potatoes
1 Tbsp. PLUS 2 tsp. Kosher salt, divided
1-1/4 cups Hellmannโ€™sยฎ or Best Foodsยฎ Real Mayonnaise
2 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
1 to 2 jalapeno peppers, chopped
2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
6 green onions (green and pale green part), thinly sliced
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Instructions:

Cover potatoes with water in 4-quart saucepot. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon salt. Reduce heat to low and simmer 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender; drain and cool slightly. Slice into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
Combine Hellmannโ€™sยฎ or Best Foodsยฎ Real Mayonnaise, vinegar, jalapeno peppers, salt and black pepper in large bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients and toss gently. Season, if desired, with additional salt and pepper. Serve chilled or at room temperature.

In my old age I've found that I'm far less biased regarding potato salad and can pretty much enjoy most all potato salads...........Like tacos...they're all different and good in there own way..........But this is my favorite potato salad now.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
Potatoes, chopped hard boiled eggs, salt & pepper, and Miracle Whip. Don't like Miracle Whip for anything other than potato salad and egg salad sandwiches. Yum.

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
I like my wife's.....and I don't care for baked beans.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

ICamel
Explorer
Explorer
Diced Potatoes:
Add 1 cup of water to the bottom of the InstaPot and add colander with the diced potatoes on top of the water(season potatoes if desired). Close the lid and set to manual for 4 minutes. Once time completes release pressure manually.

Potato Salad:
5 medium red skin potatoes diced into small cubes
1/4 cup sour cream
3 tablespoons Ranch Dressing
2 tablespoon each yellow mustard and Dijon mustard
2 teaspoon celery salt
2 tablespoons chopped dill weed
salt, pepper, seasoned salt, onion salt to taste
diced sweet onion(3 medium slices)
diced medium dill pickle(from 2 whole)
Cook diced potatoes in InstaPot per above directions. Let potatoes cool on countertop and then in refrigerator for 3 hours.
Mix sour cream, ranch dressing, mustards, seasonings in a bowl.
Spread dill weed over potatoes and mix thoroughly.
Add diced onion & pickle.
Mix sour cream sauce in with potatoes adding seasonings to taste.
Refrigerate overnight in covered container.
ICamel

2017 Arctic Fox 992
2005 Ford F350 Lariat SuperDuty CrewCab 4x4 + 6 Speed Manual + 19.5" Tires + LoadLifter 5000 Rear Air Bags
2005 16' River Wild Drift Boat
Honda EU2000i
Trophytrout FlyFisherman

craftyfox
Explorer
Explorer
Boiled potatoes, chopped onions and dill pickles, hard boiled eggs chopped,small jar of chopped pimientos. Miracle whip salad dressing and a touch of mustard. Salt and pepper to taste. Best if chilled overnight. Been making it this way for over 70 years and it hasn't failed me yet!!

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
Peeled russet potatoes. Cut into bite size pieces. Barely simmer to cook them in water so they do not fall apart.

Hellman's Mayo

A squirt of Dijon Mustard

A couple tablespoons of Sweet Pickle Relish

Salt & Pepper

Chopped celery

I also hard boil 3 eggs. Grate them and fold them into the potato salad.

Sprinkle the top with Paprika.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
RobWNY wrote:
The best potato salad there is bar none is the potato salad that never goes in my mouth.

Lol, thats almost blasphemy. Thos isnt tour store bought stuff.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
The best potato salad there is bar none is the potato salad that never goes in my mouth.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, ill bite. But i dont have mesured ingredients. I use 2/3 mayo to 1/3 sour cream. Then a splash of viniger and a small amout of mustard. Toss with onions and some shredded carrots, s/p. Done. The sour crream cuts the mayo so its not so oily.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
I prefer a sweet relish flavor to my potato salad. I like it simple, with eggs and celery and sweet relish... fancy with red and yellow bell peppers, onion, and bacon bits or diced ham, or served as a hot side made with potatos and italian dressing, bell peppers and onion...no eggs.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Red skin potato salad with bacon. (Everything is better with bacon !)

Use baby red skins for best taste. Do not peel. As much crumbled bacon as you want (thick cut tastes better).

Dressing is just mayo/Miracle Whip and Plochman's Classic Stone Ground Mustard. Do not substitute on the mustard. It is the key.

Best if made the night before so that it is thoroughly chilled.