cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Who's owned an Isata 5 based on the Ram 5500 chassis?

Damdifino
Explorer
Explorer
I'm interested in the Isata 5 but can't find any unbiased information on it. A search of the class Class C forum returns only one incidental mention of it. Anyone have insight they can share?
2014 Arctic Fox 22H.
2009 Toyota Land Cruiser URJ200 Series
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
13 REPLIES 13

margerush
Explorer
Explorer
a few months back, we were seriously considering the Isata 5 28SS. The 28SS model wasn't available in our state. We needed to feel, touch, drive one before putting down a deposit. We did drive & physically see/touch the 30FW. We loved the way it drove, very positive steering, no swaying when a semi passed. When the slides came in, the trek to the back/bathroom/bedroom was precarious to say the least. Also Terrible experience going from camper to drivers seat. My knees don't bend as well these days.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Thereโ€™s zero credibility to them having bad electronics or weak alternators or whatever other suppositions you can make up.

The Ram 5500 has max 125 amps available for customer take off. When you bypass the customer power takeoff point on ANY modern truck, the potential for consequential damage or undesirable operations increases. Most other chassis had double that. I stand my my statements re: 19.5โ€ tires for sand.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I understand if the 5500s are having issues from upfitter short cuts, but fail to understand what makes a cutaway van build inherently better than a med duty truck build.
The answer is nothing. Not that 4x4 vans arenโ€™t super cool. But IF you want 4wd, diesel and a class C, the 550/5500 chassis vehicles are the option, not an option.
Thereโ€™s zero credibility to them having bad electronics or weak alternators or whatever other suppositions you can make up.

If the RV mfgs have quality or design issues that is one thing, but itโ€™s not the trucks.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Gotcha. That brings up another issue... You can't really air down 19.5" tires. Most brands the minimum is 45 psi. I researched this extensively a while back, because I was considering moving to F550 running gear. Buckstop makes a super-single conversion for military off-road tires, usually used for brush rigs, but I don't know if that's a feasible conversion for a motorhome.

https://www.buckstopinc.com/single-wheel-conversions.html

Are you willing to downside a bit? An E450 4x4 conversion with 20" light truck wheels and tires, is probably your best combo for beach driving. You can run wider tires that will allow a lower psi, and you'll be ~5,000 pounds lighter to start with.

This one is from U-Joint Off-road, and the other option is QuadVan.
2015 Ford Focus ST

Damdifino
Explorer
Explorer
carringb wrote:
Damdifino wrote:

I like the MDT, but I want a 4x4. Otherwise, it sounds like the Ford and Ram have too many downsides.

Any specific reason you want 4x4?

Generally, these things are too long and low to venture off a gravel road. Motorhomes have good traction anyways because most of the weight is on the drivers. And for snow-driving, you'll still need chains even with 4x4, because nearly all states have chain laws that are more strict once you are over 10,000 pounds.

And.... hydraulic AWD is available as a conversion on all true MDTs with air brakes.
https://www.eztracawd.com

I spend a good deal of time camping on the beach on Mustang Island and North Padre Island on the Texas coast. Sometimes that sand can get deep.
2014 Arctic Fox 22H.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
carringb wrote:
The alternator in those isn't great, and they sometimes have electrical issues caused by the up-fitter because everything gets attached to the the batteries. They don't have high-amp upfitter connection points like Ford does. But... this really comes down to the care taken by the upfitter.

This is one of the problems my friends also had with their new 4x4 Isata 5 on the Ram 5500. While at the dealers waiting for coach repairs the chassis electronics somehow went "bad" to the point that the key fob wouldn't open the doors and the engine couldn't be started. It had to be towed to a Ram truck dealer where they argued about it being covered under warranty. That dealer eventually gave up working on it and it was towed to a second Ram truck dealer who fixed the problem. Apparently FCA's position was that it wasn't a chassis warranty issue because the uplifter had relocated some electronic control box on the chassis. The problem though turned out to be simple and was just a single pin in a connector that was misaligned.

BTW, the RV went into the dealer again after our last camping trip early last month for more repairs and as of yesterday is still sitting there.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Damdifino wrote:

I like the MDT, but I want a 4x4. Otherwise, it sounds like the Ford and Ram have too many downsides.

Any specific reason you want 4x4?

Generally, these things are too long and low to venture off a gravel road. Motorhomes have good traction anyways because most of the weight is on the drivers. And for snow-driving, you'll still need chains even with 4x4, because nearly all states have chain laws that are more strict once you are over 10,000 pounds.

And.... hydraulic AWD is available as a conversion on all true MDTs with air brakes.
https://www.eztracawd.com
2015 Ford Focus ST

Damdifino
Explorer
Explorer
carringb wrote:
Will you be traveling with more than the 2 of you?

The HUGE flaw with the pickup-based Super-C's, on both the Ford and Ram chassis, is how low the cab and windshield are relative to the coach. So not only is step-through awkward, nobody in the back can see the road while traveling!

As for the chassis, both the 2019+ Ram and all Fords since 20011 use the Bosch CP4 fuel pump. This would be a non-starter for me. Especially in a motorhome, because you can't pull the cab to swap all the fuel lines when it grenades. I'd personally only consider a true MDT at this point, due to that fuel pump.

I had a Ram 5500 work truck for a while. I liked the Aisin transmission, the exhaust brake, and the steering and brakes feel. The seat quality was garbage. Hopefully the MH makes are doing full seat swaps. Factory foam breaks down in 60,000 miles. The alternator in those isn't great, and they sometimes have electrical issues caused by the up-fitter because everything gets attached to the the batteries. They don't have high-amp upfitter connection points like Ford does. But... this really comes down to the care taken by the upfitter.

2014 Arctic Fox 22H.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Damdifino
Explorer
Explorer
carringb wrote:

The HUGE flaw with the pickup-based Super-C's, on both the Ford and Ram chassis, is how low the cab and windshield are relative to the coach. So not only is step-through awkward, nobody in the back can see the road while traveling!

As for the chassis, both the 2019+ Ram and all Fords since 20011 use the Bosch CP4 fuel pump. This would be a non-starter for me. Especially in a motorhome, because you can't pull the cab to swap all the fuel lines when it grenades. I'd personally only consider a true MDT at this point, due to that fuel pump.

I had a Ram 5500 work truck for a while. I liked the Aisin transmission, the exhaust brake, and the steering and brakes feel. The seat quality was garbage. Hopefully the MH makes are doing full seat swaps. Factory foam breaks down in 60,000 miles. The alternator in those isn't great, and they sometimes have electrical issues caused by the up-fitter because everything gets attached to the the batteries. They don't have high-amp upfitter connection points like Ford does. But... this really comes down to the care taken by the upfitter.

More good info. Thanks, and keep 'em coming.
2014 Arctic Fox 22H.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

carringb
Explorer
Explorer

2015 Ford Focus ST

Damdifino
Explorer
Explorer
bob_nestor wrote:
I don't own one but have some RVing friends (here in North Texas) who sold their Class A diesel pusher and ordered a new 2020 Isata 5 based on the Ram 5500. They took delivery a little over a year ago from the dealer south of the DFW Metroplex.

They've had nothing but problems with the dealer, the Isata 5, the Dodge and the manufacturer. It has spent almost as much time on the dealer's lot waiting for authorization for repairs as they've had it in their hands for camping trips. Electrical issues, water leak issues, water heater issues, propane issues, slide issues, craftsmanship problems with cabinets and trim, chassis electrical issues, stove problems, refrigerator problems to name a few. I've told them a number of times to skip the dealer and the warranty and park it in my backyard and we'll work on fixing everything together. They were planning on keeping it for at least 5 years, but they're already looking for a replacement. I'm sure they'd make you a deal on the one they have if you're interested.

Not good. I feel very bad for them. But this is the kind of feedback I was hoping to get. Thanks.
2014 Arctic Fox 22H.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't own one but have some RVing friends (here in North Texas) who sold their Class A diesel pusher and ordered a new 2020 Isata 5 based on the Ram 5500. They took delivery a little over a year ago from the dealer south of the DFW Metroplex.

They've had nothing but problems with the dealer, the Isata 5, the Dodge and the manufacturer. It has spent almost as much time on the dealer's lot waiting for authorization for repairs as they've had it in their hands for camping trips. Electrical issues, water leak issues, water heater issues, propane issues, slide issues, craftsmanship problems with cabinets and trim, chassis electrical issues, stove problems, refrigerator problems to name a few. I've told them a number of times to skip the dealer and the warranty and park it in my backyard and we'll work on fixing everything together. They were planning on keeping it for at least 5 years, but they're already looking for a replacement. I'm sure they'd make you a deal on the one they have if you're interested.

dicknellen
Explorer
Explorer
It looks great, try irv2.com & rvforum.net - rvforum.net post it in motorhomes they don't have just a class c forum.