Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Carelessness strikes again
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Carelessness strikes again

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/20 10:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

Quote:

You can bet I put locktite on all components now.

I was thinking about that, I have a tube of the blue in my toolbox.

Rethink your safety plan here. Loctite is a bandaid for something else in the wrong applications. Sure it may keep an improperly torqued nut or bolt from backing out in the short term, but it will not fix the root cause ( not tight enough) and not tight enough will lead to other problems, generally, in the longer term.
What you guys are saying is akin to using Draino regularly to unclog your drain from dumping bacon grease down it. Short term solution with long term consequences.

This PSA is in hopes of preventing people from half @ssing repairs, for their own benefit and that of the next recipient of their “work.”

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/20 11:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had Another one of those moments A few years ago. Only hand tighted one of the Oil drain plugs on my bike Apparently? Only logical explanation) Lost the plug and the oil and fortunately only cold seized the piston at about 12,000 rpms. Got lucky, didn’t hurt the top end or rotating assembly at all.
By the above method, I would loctite a steel drain plug into an aluminum case, on a bolt that requires frequent and regular removal??
See where this is going? and don’t be a gomer with the loctite!

mudfuel07

North Florida!

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/20 12:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

I had Another one of those moments A few years ago. Only hand tighted one of the Oil drain plugs on my bike Apparently? Only logical explanation) Lost the plug and the oil and fortunately only cold seized the piston at about 12,000 rpms. Got lucky, didn’t hurt the top end or rotating assembly at all.
By the above method, I would loctite a steel drain plug into an aluminum case, on a bolt that requires frequent and regular removal??
See where this is going? and don’t be a gomer with the loctite!

For caliper bolts, I don't see where it could hurt that much, at least in my case, Florida doesn't have winter. I really think the cause of mine was the tires were so out of round, that it just vibrated loose.

2020 Ram 3500 6.7 CTD 4x4 Big Horn
2020 Puma by Palomino 32RBFQ for the kids!

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/20 01:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

For caliper bolts, I don't see where it could hurt that much, at least in my case, Florida doesn't have winter. I really think the cause of mine was the tires were so out of round, that it just vibrated loose.

My guess is that first I didn't get it tight enough, and second all those washboarded roads we went down vibrated it loose. I'll be checking all the brakes when we get home in a few days and will be using blue locktite on them.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

miltvill

Ft. Lauderdale FL

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/20 07:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did an oil change on my 1999 Chevy 1500. Then went to get some lunch when my oil lite came on. I pulled over and checked my oil. The dip stick did not show any oil. I had forgot to tighten the oil bolt. No damage to my truck but made one big mess of the road leading back to my house. Lucky for me the bolt did not fall out and I had tools and oil with me. NEVER change your oil when your hungry.

2020 GMC Denali\Duramax 3500HD Dually Crew Cab
Sold-Trail Cruiser TC23QB

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Carelessness strikes again
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.