Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: RV Batteries - Lithium as Option
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> RV Batteries - Lithium as Option

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/20 10:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1. You cannot mix Lithium with other type batteries, if that is what you were going to do
2. When you install Lithium batteries in a system that did not have Lithium's originally, you need to verify your RV Coach charge system(Converter or Inverter/Charger) is compatible with charging Lithium batteries. If not, then you have to either change the Charging system parameters(programming) if your existing system can be changed, or you have to replace the existing Converter or Inverter/Charger to one that can charge Lithium's correctly.
3. Otherwise you will have spent a lot of money for Lithium's for nothing when they go bad. Lithium Warranty is NOT like Lead Cell battery warranty's. The batteries are so good that the only way they fail is if the Customer did not maintain(charge) correctly. They will actually tell that if you try to get them replaced under warranty. Doug

mchero

Henniker, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/13/20 11:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ran across this battery,
https://lionenergy.com/products/lion-safari-ut-1300
Click product manual in bottom right for detailed info.
You can knock of $150 using discount coupons making them cheaper than Battleborn!

Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

MEXICOWANDERER

las peƱas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/20 12:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lithium label amp hours ex 100
Subtract 10 amp hours from upper end not useable ?
Subtract 10 amp hours from bottom end not useable ?
80 useable amp hours?

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/13/20 01:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

obiwancanoli wrote:

I've read enough to develop questions I can't seem to find the answers to, so I'm here once more to soak it in.

I've had some concerns that the current and original batteries on my Class A might need replacement, even though they're about 3 years old, in part due to my lack of experience in depleting voltage to a point that running off the batteries inevitably runs out of power in the wee hours, with the meters showing me LOW VOLTAGE somewhere in the 11's, so, I'm considering Lithium.

I also have 480 watts of Zamp solar, maxxed out at 26.1 Amps, along with a separate portable 120 watt panel, and a Zamp Solar 30A Controller. Am considering adding another panel or two -if I can find a place to mount them, and realize I'd need a new Controller, maybe 45-60 Amps, MPPT, and should be more than sufficient.

Having recently retired, I now have time for some extended travel, and boondocking will almost certainly be a part of that. I'm looking forward to getting off grid periodically, so power resources are key.

I'm aware of the cost, and believe that this is the most economical long-term approach to my power systems. So I'm willing to consider Lithium, and need some answers to fill in a few holes...

My rig came with 4-6V batteries, each 115 min at 75 Amps, 220 [email protected] 20Hr.

If I connect Lithium in parallel, do I double available amps?

Are Lithium's all 12V, and if so, would I need only two to replace what I currently have?

What changes, if any, must I make to existing systems in order to accommodate Lithium batteries?

You might want to look into these 12V Group 27 silicon dioxide RV batteries instead. They're about 1/2 the cost of lithium and in my opinion are superior to lithium for RV use:
https://azimuthsolarproducts.com/product/12v-100ah-sio2-battery/

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/20 01:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

Like any other battery they should be stored at 100% SOC, but do NOT require any trickle charging, even when stored for months.

Actually, you don't want to store them at 100%. This will actually damage them long term.

50% is ideal but 80-90% is far enough from 100% that it addresses most of the concern.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

mchero

Henniker, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/13/20 03:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice find Phil. Looks like more research!

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/13/20 07:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mchero wrote:

Nice find Phil. Looks like more research!

I have to give credit for me learning of these great (I think, so far) RV batteries to this poster -> "pianotuna"

Here's the link where I first learned of them from him:
https://forums.goodsamclub.com/index.cfm........d/30125372/gotomsg/30125409.cfm#30125409

RJsfishin

Winston Or.

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/20 08:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is wrong w/ lead acid. If I had money to burn, I would still buy lead acid !

Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/20 12:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mchero,

Here is some more information:

"Shari from Azimuth to answer your questions... The ones above are manufactured in China by a Canadian company, Soneil Electronics. Soneil has been around since 1994, but they made smaller size light traction SiO2 batteries for the healthcare and materials handling industries. It wasn't until a few years ago that they expanded into larger size deep cycle solar. RV, telecom and marine sizes. They haven't been that great at marketing so they are a best kept secret. Lead crystal / SiO2 batteries are currently being made by Betta Batteries(Australia), Green Rhino (Germany) and Soneil Electronics (Canada). I have attached some studies of lead crystal / SiO2 batteries for review. [emoticon] So far, all the ones in the field are exceeding our expectations."

video https://youtu.be/ZFnjIodpI30

discharge to one volt https://youtu.be/O45eLd5YotM

* This post was edited 08/14/20 01:09am by pianotuna *

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

obiwancanoli

Napa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/14/20 04:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Would it make sense to replace my four 6-Volt batteries with 3 Li, assuming boondocking would become my primary activity? Two would seem sufficient for routine camping needs, but if I'm off-grid, I like to have plenty of back up, should it be needed...

* This post was edited 08/14/20 05:38pm by obiwancanoli *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> RV Batteries - Lithium as Option
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.