Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: RV Batteries - Lithium as Option
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> RV Batteries - Lithium as Option

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
obiwancanoli

Napa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/20 10:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

obiwancanoli wrote:

Would it make sense to replace my four 6-Volt batteries with 3 Li, assuming boondocking would become my primary activity? Two would seem sufficient for routine camping needs, but if I'm off-grid, I like to have plenty of back up, should it be needed...

Hmmm.... I think I figured out the answer...

obiwancanoli

Napa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/20 09:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First, the dilemma, then the answer... My dilemma came about regarding dimensions.

Initially, it appeared I would have trouble fitting them in, because the dimensions of the Li were larger than the battery tray - too long by about 3". Even with the 100Ah, I could only get 3 in, length-wise front-to-back, to replace my 4 flooded jars. That meant removing the tray, having it modified to fit the new Li's. Then I remembered something... these Li's can pretty much be positioned any way one chooses, absent upside down, so I measured the battery compartment, and discovered I have about 20 1/2 inches of height open to me, and at 19.1/16", standing both of the 200Ah I wanted on end, wired in parallel, they would fit just fine, as long as they were strapped down and secured to the tray... I would then have 400Ah at the core of the system.

Does anyone see an issue with this approach?

* This post was edited 09/07/20 08:23am by obiwancanoli *

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/20 10:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“ Does anyone see an issue with this approach?“

YES, you’ll be starving-out the good guys at PG&E - lol !!.... Not a problem so long as your battery manufacturer’s specs allow for parallel connection...Might be a good time to consider an upgrade of your cables as well...

3 tons

steveh27

Grosse Pointe Woods, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/20 05:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I gave the Chinese mfrs of my lithiums the size dimensions of my small battery box, 14"x8"x9.5", & they custom made 2 100AH batteries for it.

https://www.amazon.com/3-2V100Ah-Lithium-Power-car-Radio-3-2V100AH/dp/B07LBFQGKX/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=3QDVAKORNTUG0&keywords=lithium%2Brv%2Bbattery%2B200ah&qid=1560184054&s=gateway&sprefix=lithium%2Brv%2Csporting%2C175&sr=8-1-spons&th=1

I ended up dealing direct with them and paying through Alibaba;

Emily Cao | Sales manager
Orient Power Group Limted

Zhuhai OTE Electronic Technology Co., Ltd

TEL:0086 756 8598 852

M/Whatsapp: +86 138 2306 3759

Email: [email protected];

[email protected]

Web: www.orientpower.asia

Skype Chat: emily2914

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/orientpower.asia

obiwancanoli

Napa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/20/20 10:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After having my service guy look things over, he came up with the idea that the sliding tray the batteries were on was taking up a lot of space, and that by removing it, I could not only fit the batteries I wanted in the now empty space, I could probably get 10 flooded batteries in there... a terrible waste of space, he said... but, it appears the best choice for me are the Battle Born Lithiums, and have decided to go with 4-100Ah that should fit nicely, with the tray removed...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> RV Batteries - Lithium as Option
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.