cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tire covers

Taxman2436
Explorer
Explorer
The TT I purchased came with tire covers. I’m wondering should I use them and if so, when?

-Lenny
Taxman2436
Sturbridge, MA
2022 Ford F350 6.7L Diesel
2023 Grand Design Reflection 320 MKS
8 REPLIES 8

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
HEY! Don't use that 303 on motorcycle tires. That's like greasing up a pig. Ask me how I know....LOL. It may make them look pretty, but......

Taxman2436
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, I had no idea. Thanks for all the replies!
Taxman2436
Sturbridge, MA
2022 Ford F350 6.7L Diesel
2023 Grand Design Reflection 320 MKS

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Covers provide minimal protection. Sure they protect against UV rays but that still leaves dry rotting due to oxidation. I learned that when I tried to use a tire that had been stored under my pick up for 4 years. Obviously no direct light had ever hit that tire. Even so it was dry rotted. It looked OK until I put it on the truck and left it for a few days with my camper loaded. By then cracks appeared everywhere. Subsequently I learned tires need to be used. Chemicals embedded in the rubber work their way to the surface and provide protection.

Another option that has not been well studied is the use of Aerospace 303 protectant. This will provide some sealing against oxidation as well as providing some UV protection. 303 needs to be replaced every few weeks. In addition you need to start with clean tires and coat both inner and outer surfaces. Avoid getting too much on the thread as it will cause loss of traction.

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Used tire covers for 10 years on previous trailer,they work.
I protected the tire covers which looked relatively new after 10 years with 303 uv protectant.

So that got me thinking....I've been now treating the tires with 303 and forgone the covers.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, use them. They'll protect your tires. We keep them on our tires when parked at home. On the road we don't worry about it because we're usually not in one spot longer than a week. Hopefully they are white or light as studies have shown that black ones retain heat.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, use them. I have used them all the time when parked, the covers finally fell apart from the UV rays after 8 years. A year later the previously crack free tires started cracking badly. The tires did last for 9 years. They were checked yearly after the 5th year.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Parked over three days, I cover. UV rays are not your friend.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
I always keep my tires covered unless just an overnight stop or up to about 3 days. Anything over that, they are covered from any elements.