cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I-70 Glenwood Canyon Colorado fire closure

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
I-70 through Glenwood Canyon has been closed due to a wildfire near the Grizzly Creek Rest Area. This fire started a couple of days ago and has really blown up due to high temps and swirling winds. It quickly moved up the north side of the canyon and is threatening the little community of No Name. The fire has jumped the river and is also burning on the south side of the canyon.

The closed the highway through the canyon initially due to fire, but now they also need to assess the damage to the bridges along the highway.

The way the fire is so actively burning, I personally don't foresee the road opening in at least a week. There's no rain in the forecast and it's supposed to be hot, dry, and windy. I saw a humidity of 4% at our house yesterday.

Unfortunately, there's no easy go around. Cottonwood Pass, a dirt road between Gypsum and CO 82 south of Glenwood Springs is closed. First a semi overturned up there (not a road for semi's anyway) and now the fire is burning in that direction. Independence Pass southeast out of Aspen is also closed. Even though there are multiple signs indicating a maximum length of 35', numerous trucks tried to go through. Finally they just had to close if for safeties sake.

The detour on CDOT's website is to use US 50 out of Montrose over Monarch Pass then up US 285 into Denver. One can also go north on US 40 over Rabbit Ears Pass, through Craig and eventually down to Rifle, but there's construction on CO 13 so this is an even longer detour.

I would imagine both of these detours are pretty busy as I-70 carries a fair amount of traffic that will now have to fit on two lane roads in many places.

If you're expecting to travel in this area in the next couple of weeks, keep up to date at cotrip.org
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)
13 REPLIES 13

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
I-70 opened through the canyon at 6:30 this morning. But keep informed as if we get some of the rain predicted later this week, mudslides could close everything back up again.

As for us, it will be time for a much needed Costco run pretty soon!
Ken & Allison
(You get the idea!)

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like they might get I-70 open in a week or less (weather dependent).
Article from Glenwood Springs Post Independent
Ken & Allison
(You get the idea!)

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
Thom02099 wrote:
Roadtrip920 wrote:
4runnerguy wrote:
Based on last nights briefing, I'm guessing maybe another week, maybe more, before the canyon opens up.

It's amazingly quiet at night right now, as there is no through traffic on the interstate.

Is there a safe alternative route if I70 does not open soon from Silt to Estes Park? We have a 36ft 5th wheel.

H E R E is a link to the recommended detour. There just is no easy way around that area. You don't need to take US 285 all the way in to Denver. You can take CO 9 to Breckenridge and Frisco and get back on I-70, then take I-70 to the Central City Parkway. That takes you in to CC/Black Hawk where you can pick up CO 119 to Nederland then CO 72 to CO 7 in to Estes Park.

Yeah, there really aren't many choices. Even if you wanted to pull over Trail Ridge Road (not necessarily for rookies) I was reminded today by a friend who is heading to see family in Estes Park tomorrow that one has to have a reservation to even enter Rocky Mountain National Park. So she's taking the long way.

What ever you do, don't try Independence Pass with your rig.

From Silt, you can backtrack all the way to Grand Junction then south and east on US 50.

Another route, probably a little longer time wise (although shorter distance) is to head into Glenwood Springs, head south on CO 82 to Carbondale, catch CO 133 over McClure Pass, the CO 92 to US 50. Make sure you fill in Silt or GWS as the few stations past that are pretty pricey. This is a more scenic route taking up the Crystal River Valley past Redstone. On CO 92, you'll be above the upper parts of Black Canyon of the Gunnison. There are a couple of pullouts where you can look down on Morrow Point Reservoir. Not much traffic so pretty easy to pull in.
Ken & Allison
(You get the idea!)

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
FYI on the alternate route from Breck to Frisco:
There is a stretch of CO 9 under construction between (it is the phase that will complete 2-lanes each way from Breck to I-70.)

BUT... there can be extensive delays as they are flagging it down to alternating one lane at times.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Roadtrip920 wrote:
4runnerguy wrote:
Based on last nights briefing, I'm guessing maybe another week, maybe more, before the canyon opens up.

It's amazingly quiet at night right now, as there is no through traffic on the interstate.

Is there a safe alternative route if I70 does not open soon from Silt to Estes Park? We have a 36ft 5th wheel.

H E R E is a link to the recommended detour. There just is no easy way around that area. You don't need to take US 285 all the way in to Denver. You can take CO 9 to Breckenridge and Frisco and get back on I-70, then take I-70 to the Central City Parkway. That takes you in to CC/Black Hawk where you can pick up CO 119 to Nederland then CO 72 to CO 7 in to Estes Park.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

mittshel
Explorer
Explorer
4runnerguy, Thanks for the I70 updates. I look for it each day. Our DD is in Fort Collins and between the Poudre fire and 70 their air is horrible. Betsy.
Betsy

Roadtrip920
Explorer
Explorer
4runnerguy wrote:

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer

Ken & Allison
(You get the idea!)

Roadtrip920
Explorer
Explorer
Thom02099 wrote:
Roadtrip920 wrote:
We are traveling to Silt, is I70 closed from Grand Junction to Silt?

According to cotrip.org that stretch of I-70 is not currently affected by the closures or fires around Glenwood Springs.

Thank you.

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Roadtrip920 wrote:

According to cotrip.org that stretch of I-70 is not currently affected by the closures or fires around Glenwood Springs.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Roadtrip920
Explorer
Explorer

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
Update this Friday morning:

They don't anticipate I-70 opening for at least 2-3 days. The fire is actually burning right at the highway. The fire took a run last night to the east. There are now pre-evacuation orders for Dotsero.

The fire burned in the area of Hanging Lake but they don't know how things look up there right now.

Because of the importance of getting the interstate opened back up, the fire is now the top priority in the nation.

At our house in Glenwood Springs, I can't see 1/2 mile right now. I have to chew the air before I inhale it. Expecting highs in the mid 90's for another week with no precipitation in that time frame. Boy we desperately need some significant moisture right now.
Ken & Allison
(You get the idea!)

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
These runaway fires will continue until people support logging and thinning on public lands. Creating defensible space can protect your property.