cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Chalet TS116 Experiance

wildman4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for people who have owned a Chalet TS116 camper. Would like to hear about your likes and dislikes. Also any issues you might have ran into during your ownership.

I know Chalet is still in production but they no longer make truck campers. So I am a little worried about buying a camper that the company no longer is making them. I realize that most items can be replaced but am just being cautious.

I want a side entry camper because I will be towing most of the time I use the camper so ease of getting in and out would be nice. So since I want a side entry PLUS minimum of one slide my options are very limited.
14 REPLIES 14

wildman4x4
Explorer
Explorer
JimK-NY wrote:
I hope you have or are willing to buy a truck that will handle the load. Depending on accessories the wet weight of that camper is well over 4000# and could easily hit 4500#. Add a couple of passengers and gear and the weight is going to be in the 6000# range. That is way beyond what I would want to carry for a 350/3500 dual wheel drive.

I have a truck that will carry the weight. I wouldn't be looking at these campers if I didn't have a rig that could carry it. But thanks for your concern.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I hope you have or are willing to buy a truck that will handle the load. Depending on accessories the wet weight of that camper is well over 4000# and could easily hit 4500#. Add a couple of passengers and gear and the weight is going to be in the 6000# range. That is way beyond what I would want to carry for a 350/3500 dual wheel drive.

wildman4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for everyone's replies about the Chalet campers.

I'm still in the looking mode right now so I haven't decided on any one camper.

If I could swing it I would LOVE to have a Host camper and am watching a few used units right now. Of course I would love to get a NEW unit but the Yukon camper I spec'd out was just over $90K. That shocked me......:E But I had all the bells and whistles on it also.

It has been a few years since I have looked but I was not overly impressed with the Eagle Cap campers I looked at compared to a Host.
If I was looking at a Eagle Cap I would go for the 1165 floorplan over the 1200 floorplan.

I've pretty much decided I am getting a triple slide unit no matter which brand I get. And I know that I want the side entry style over the rear entry.

Here is the TS116 that is currently for sale.

https://www.rvt.com/Chalet-RV-Chalet-TS116-2013-Mcminnville-OR-ID8836487-UX249303

54suds
Explorer
Explorer
I had an 2012 Chalet Ascent for- very -short time- a new and then quckley traded , reason : "fast"couldnt repair leaks fast enough & zero factory responce
2021 Chev 6.6 duramax ltz DBL cab,drw,4x/torklift tdn's,
1999 Bigfoot 1011

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
jaycocreek wrote:
I looked that one up and saw a 2012 for sale..Very nice TC and I love the floorplan..I'd buy it in a heartbeat!

Nice unit.

When are you picking it up or did it sell already? ๐Ÿ˜„ Seriously though, there are a lot of nicer TCs out there. Iโ€™m just not feeling enough gain to sell/buy a different one.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
bwlyon wrote:
As an owner of a S85RS Ascent by Chalet, I can say Chalet built very nice campers. The one thing to be aware of is they are very heavy. Mine weighs in at roughly 4800 lbs fully wet and ready to camp. I love the storage, the wet bath and all other amenities the camper offers.

I looked that one up and saw a 2012 for sale..Very nice TC and I love the floorplan..I'd buy it in a heartbeat!

Nice unit.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Shepherd Lover wrote:
wildman4x4 wrote:
Looking for people who have owned a Chalet TS116 camper. Would like to hear about your likes and dislikes. Also any issues you might have ran into during your ownership.

I know Chalet is still in production but they no longer make truck campers. So I am a little worried about buying a camper that the company no longer is making them. I realize that most items can be replaced but am just being cautious.

I want a side entry camper because I will be towing most of the time I use the camper so ease of getting in and out would be nice. So since I want a side entry PLUS minimum of one slide my options are very limited.

Hey Wildman,
I just joined up here because of your question(s), and hope I can offer some advice as a TS116 owner that's just over the "hills" from you (near Tacoma).
I bought my "new" 2012 in mid-2014 as a dealer demo. Our family loves the camper, though it's not without (mostly minor) issues.

Dry bath
Huge living space (you forget you're in the back of a truck)
Seems to cut through the wind remarkably well, going down the road (I previously had a Fleetwood Caribou that would get buffeted and blown all over the place). Of course, I put it on an air-bagged 3500 dually.
I only recently started towing behind it, and a 36" extension is sufficient. Use a weight-distributing hitch and you won't even know a trailer is behind you.
Massive fresh/gray/black water capacity for a camper. Two people can boondock for a week with no issues.
Decent balance/weight distribution for such a large camper.

Dislikes:
Shoddy finish work (IMHO). Glue overspray everywhere, cabinetry construction sub-par (don't put anything remotely heavy in drawers without reinforcing/gluing the bottoms). Styrofoam beads (from the composite roof) still appearing inside after every journey.
Overhead wardrobe is not well though out... can't open doors with a made-up bed. I pulled mine out, did a little re-working to the top corners of it, and re-installed raising them about 4". More useful, now.

(some of the following is not a problem with Chalet, but due to 3rd party components):
Lousy tank monitoring system. Don't rely on it AT ALL.
Jacks (as mentioned before) can give you fits, but usually due to water ingress (inspect and replace emergency plugs on top of gearboxes as needed, and/or find water-resistant covers for top of jacks).
Heki 1 or 2 hatch in overhead... JUNK. latches break if you look at them hard. Mine blew open in a wind storm and broke the dome. Replaced it with a Heki 4 (electrically operated), and it's been trouble-free ever since.
It's TALL sitting on a stock-height dually. I think it's around 13'6" to the top of the AC cover. Watch out for low bridges and branches!

A couple other thoughts:
Mine is starting to show signs of (mild) de-lamination of the exterior, appearing as big bubbles.
Chalet claimed that storing on the jacks was perfectly acceptable, but I'd advise sitting it on a stand(s). I'm seeing a little buckling at one corner (nothing major), but it doesn't appear to be progressing.
The compact slide mechanisms Chalet employed haven't caused me any trouble, and I've never had an issue with a slide sticking. "Racking" of the frame has never been an issue for me.

Ample battery space (I have 4 Trojan batteries in the compartment, along with my solar charging setup, and there's room for at least 3 more batteries. HOWEVER... I'd be hesitant to put any more in it as I would fear the battery weight, along with a full tank of fresh water, might rip the bottom off the camper. (I won't take the camper off the truck if there's water in the tank... you can see the bottom droop.)

As I mentioned, I have a solar setup on mine. The "pre-wire" is garbage, and will need to be scrapped if you want to have a working solar charging system (check out handybobsolar.wordpress.com/ on how to build a functioning system).

All things considered, I'd buy one all over again. We enjoy the heck out of it, and it gets a lot of curious looks and questions in a campground. It definitely doesn't seem like much of a compromise vs. a trailer, and it'll get into places you can't take a trailer.

๐Ÿ™‚

I know the OP asked about Chaletโ€™s, and my intention is not to bash Chalet (never owned one). My intention is to offer another perspective. Our Eagle Cap is the same vintage (2013) has similar capacities, etc We purchased new and have camped extensively. I can honestly say we have had none of these issues. We use the camper off the truck with full tanks, on the truck, summer, winter, etc, etc
Yesterday I replaced a vent lid that had become brittle with age. That is the first and only repair we have done.
I try not to have brand bias and do my research with an open mind.
I suggest the OP look at other brands as well and not get tunnel vision. The issues described above would e enough to change my mind.

Good luck, Bill
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

Shepherd_Lover
Explorer
Explorer
wildman4x4 wrote:

Hey Wildman,
I just joined up here because of your question(s), and hope I can offer some advice as a TS116 owner that's just over the "hills" from you (near Tacoma).
I bought my "new" 2012 in mid-2014 as a dealer demo. Our family loves the camper, though it's not without (mostly minor) issues.

Dry bath
Huge living space (you forget you're in the back of a truck)
Seems to cut through the wind remarkably well, going down the road (I previously had a Fleetwood Caribou that would get buffeted and blown all over the place). Of course, I put it on an air-bagged 3500 dually.
I only recently started towing behind it, and a 36" extension is sufficient. Use a weight-distributing hitch and you won't even know a trailer is behind you.
Massive fresh/gray/black water capacity for a camper. Two people can boondock for a week with no issues.
Decent balance/weight distribution for such a large camper.

Dislikes:
Shoddy finish work (IMHO). Glue overspray everywhere, cabinetry construction sub-par (don't put anything remotely heavy in drawers without reinforcing/gluing the bottoms). Styrofoam beads (from the composite roof) still appearing inside after every journey.
Overhead wardrobe is not well though out... can't open doors with a made-up bed. I pulled mine out, did a little re-working to the top corners of it, and re-installed raising them about 4". More useful, now.

(some of the following is not a problem with Chalet, but due to 3rd party components):
Lousy tank monitoring system. Don't rely on it AT ALL.
Jacks (as mentioned before) can give you fits, but usually due to water ingress (inspect and replace emergency plugs on top of gearboxes as needed, and/or find water-resistant covers for top of jacks).
Heki 1 or 2 hatch in overhead... JUNK. latches break if you look at them hard. Mine blew open in a wind storm and broke the dome. Replaced it with a Heki 4 (electrically operated), and it's been trouble-free ever since.
It's TALL sitting on a stock-height dually. I think it's around 13'6" to the top of the AC cover. Watch out for low bridges and branches!

A couple other thoughts:
Mine is starting to show signs of (mild) de-lamination of the exterior, appearing as big bubbles.
Chalet claimed that storing on the jacks was perfectly acceptable, but I'd advise sitting it on a stand(s). I'm seeing a little buckling at one corner (nothing major), but it doesn't appear to be progressing.
The compact slide mechanisms Chalet employed haven't caused me any trouble, and I've never had an issue with a slide sticking. "Racking" of the frame has never been an issue for me.

Ample battery space (I have 4 Trojan batteries in the compartment, along with my solar charging setup, and there's room for at least 3 more batteries. HOWEVER... I'd be hesitant to put any more in it as I would fear the battery weight, along with a full tank of fresh water, might rip the bottom off the camper. (I won't take the camper off the truck if there's water in the tank... you can see the bottom droop.)

As I mentioned, I have a solar setup on mine. The "pre-wire" is garbage, and will need to be scrapped if you want to have a working solar charging system (check out handybobsolar.wordpress.com/ on how to build a functioning system).

All things considered, I'd buy one all over again. We enjoy the heck out of it, and it gets a lot of curious looks and questions in a campground. It definitely doesn't seem like much of a compromise vs. a trailer, and it'll get into places you can't take a trailer.

๐Ÿ™‚

bwlyon
Explorer
Explorer
As an owner of a S85RS Ascent by Chalet, I can say Chalet built very nice campers. The one thing to be aware of is they are very heavy. Mine weighs in at roughly 4800 lbs fully wet and ready to camp. I love the storage, the wet bath and all other amenities the camper offers.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I donโ€™t think there were that many Chalets sold, so the sample size is going to be small. I know Host has made side entry TCs for a number of years. I believe Lance does.

Arctic Fox created what they call is a โ€œlandingโ€ to make it easier to enter from the back when a trailer is attached.

It is possible on most RVs to change the furniture. The backs typically slide off to allow them to go through the door.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

wildman4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies.

Yes I contacted Chalet and was told they are not supporting the campers any longer which is a shame.

I'm looking for a side entry camper with 2 or more slides for maximum room. Once my daughter is done with college dad get's to start traveling.

Do you think it would be possible to replace the couch in the rear slide with a dual recliner style couch?

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like my Lance 1191, I would also be on the lookout for one of them if you only want 1 slide.
2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
The brand and whether the company makes them any longer has little bearing on the decision.
Theyโ€™re not automobiles. Theyโ€™re fancy home made boxes that use common industry components
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Themucsel
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a current owner of a TS-116 (since new in 2012). Love the camper and I've towed a 22 foot boat behind it with no problems at all. My only problems with it has been the Rieco-Titan jacks. The jacks seem to not want to work at times. I've learned my lesson from previous campers to always have a spare leg and motor available (expensive I know) for when I need to dismount the camper. My only other problem (somewhat easy to fix) was the sink drain broke on the slide out. Don't expect any help from Chalet in Oregon.....I've tried, they only do A-frame pull behind camper trailers.