cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Onan exhaust hangers don’t last

ezgoin
Explorer
Explorer
I had to replace the Onan exhaust hangers several years ago when the exhaust dropped off while driving. Now, just 3 years later, 2 of the 3 hangers have broken again. The rubber part of the hanger appears to to just rot away, maybe because of the Arizona heat. The weight of the exhaust pipe also may be a factor in the rubber breaking.

Wouldn’t a full metal support strap be better? Are there any available that are compatible with the Onan exhaust?

Thanks,
Bill
The older I get....the better I was.

Bill & Terry
And our canine kids, Skippy & Peanut
2014 Fleetwood Bounder Classic 30T
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad
15 REPLIES 15

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
ezgoin wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
Hangers usually FAIL because they are NOT installed correctly. If, when you install you are putting a load on the hanger, the Rubber will fail. AFTERMARKET Hangers (Auto supply stores) are much better grade. Sometimes, you may need 2 depending on how long the Tail Pipe is. Doug

Isn’t the intent of the hangers to support the weight of the genny exhaust? I currently have 2 completely broken, with another one attached near the engine exhaust that is ready to break.

Bill

Watch the genny when it operates. Just like the main engine, it bounces around quite a bit. You need to have the flexible mounts on the exhaust system absorb that flex while supporting the weight. Then there's the expansion/contraction due to the thermal cycles too.

Chum lee

ezgoin
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
Hangers usually FAIL because they are NOT installed correctly. If, when you install you are putting a load on the hanger, the Rubber will fail. AFTERMARKET Hangers (Auto supply stores) are much better grade. Sometimes, you may need 2 depending on how long the Tail Pipe is. Doug

Isn’t the intent of the hangers to support the weight of the genny exhaust? I currently have 2 completely broken, with another one attached near the engine exhaust that is ready to break.

Bill
The older I get....the better I was.

Bill & Terry
And our canine kids, Skippy & Peanut
2014 Fleetwood Bounder Classic 30T
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:
Chum lee wrote:
MountainAir05 wrote:
My first one last about 5 years. The replacement came from a auto parts store and its been on there 15 years. It looks like maybe a tire type laminated material. Without some flex you going to get breakage on metal to metal connectors.

Yes! There are better grades of reinforced rubber. I just found a failed tire (blowout) and cut the appropriate sized rubber strip out of the sidewall. You need a sharp knife to do that. Drilled out the rivet and drilled two holes in the rubber strip and replaced it with an appropriate sized bolt and nut Problem solved for free. It's been fine now for 7 years.

Chum lee

I like that idea Chum Lee.. easy and effective

Thank you. It's my lifes work.

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
Mine broke last year, I replaced it with something that looked close enough that I found at the local auto parts store.

In my case, the end of the Onan exhaust pipe went through a metal hoop that was screwed onto the bottom of the motorhome. When the support broke, the pipe sprung a bit was now firmly pressed against the hoop. Obviously the rubber support had been under a lot of stress for many years. I removed the hoop, let the pipe self settle where it wanted to be naturally, then mounted the new hanger in a stress free manner. I don't expect it to ever break again.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Hangers usually FAIL because they are NOT installed correctly. Exhaust hangers just support the tail Pipe. If, when you install you are putting a load on the hanger, the Rubber will fail. AFTERMARKET Hangers (Auto supply stores) are much better grade. Sometimes, you may need 2 depending on how long the Tail Pipe is. Doug

Chum lee wrote:
MountainAir05 wrote:
My first one last about 5 years. The replacement came from a auto parts store and its been on there 15 years. It looks like maybe a tire type laminated material. Without some flex you going to get breakage on metal to metal connectors.

Yes! There are better grades of reinforced rubber. I just found a failed tire (blowout) and cut the appropriate sized rubber strip out of the sidewall. You need a sharp knife to do that. Drilled out the rivet and drilled two holes in the rubber strip and replaced it with an appropriate sized bolt and nut Problem solved for free. It's been fine now for 7 years.

Chum lee

I like that idea Chum Lee.. easy and effective
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
MountainAir05 wrote:

Chum lee

bjbear
Explorer
Explorer
Just happened to me a couple of days ago. Driving along and suddenly heard a dragging noise. Pulled over, and the onan exhaust was dragging. It is just in front of the front wheel so I am lucky it did not get run over. That would have been a mess!! Tied it up using plumbing strap I always carry. Will replace later with proper hanger.
2006 Monaco Camelot 42-DSQ
09 Blazer 20' Covered Trailer
Toad - 2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
My Website

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Mine broke often till I just grabbed an 18" piece of Number 12 electric wire, Yellow with all three wires.

Wrapped in place and has been there for years - noticed just the other day when looking to change the oil.

Still Going Strong.
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

diplomatdon
Explorer
Explorer
Pick up a broken truck mudflap from the side of the road and cut your own fiber piece to replace the broken one. Most of the black flaps have fibers embedded n them. Will last a long time. I've used them on the coach hangers and work great. Good lick Don

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
First the hangers are standard automotive products you can get replacements at Auto-Zone Discount auto. and I suspect Wal*Mart (never looked) but they are standard.

The metal around the pipe. then a fiber/rubberized-fiber/ metal to the body is standard not just vibration but HEAT isolation is provided. 've done all metal on occasions but it's not recommended because of the HEAT isolation.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
I just replaced mine after 13 years, but that was my own fault, got too close to the porch steps on the S&B, and caught the end of the pipe.:S
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

bdpreece
Explorer
Explorer
MountainAir05 wrote:

Same with mine. Original only lasted about 2 years. Bought the smallest one I could find at an auto parts store and 8 years later it still looks almost new,
Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)

2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor PDQ40
2014 Ford Explorer toad

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II