cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane tank

pauly_boy
Explorer
Explorer
On the control panel for your various readings the propane tells me 3/4 full. How accurate would everyone consider this to be? Pretty close...not close at all. Is there a gauge on the propane unit that will tell me? Still new to all this.
Thanks Paul
15 REPLIES 15

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Getting SeeLevel installed on my Phoenix Cruiser in a couple of weeks. Can't wait to get rid of the 4 idiot lights.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

ronfisherman
I had Seelevel gauges on my Motorhome.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

whemme
Explorer
Explorer
Dusty R wrote:
You might check out Scan Gauge. It is a much better system for knowing how much is in your tanks.
Takes some time to install, but not all that hard.

I have a Scan Gauge. It connects into the vehicleโ€™s OBI port but does not report fuel levels in either the vehicleโ€™s fuel tank nor the propane tank.
2002 Born Free 26' RSB Motorcoach
2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS Toad

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
When it comes to your propane tank, fresh water tank, waste water tanks, and battery health, this type of metering is quite inaccurate. They provide a "rough" idea alone which for many people is adequate. The gauge on the propane tank itself will provide better accuracy, though still not perfect.

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
If you have bottles holding 20 pounds of propane, a suitcase weight device is very accurate. Costco has 20 pound bottles with built in gauge which works very well. Beware of add on gauges - there must be a float mechanism inside the bottle to work.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

pauly_boy
Explorer
Explorer
- it's on 3/4 now. Not too worried about it. Only need it for 3 days.
- it's a 40 lb permanent motor home tank.
Everyone has been very helpful. Thanks to all!
Paul

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
freetime58 wrote:
I have been using the Mopeka Tank Check sensors and free app, transmits fuel levels to your smart phone.....I find it extremely accurate.

You need to buy the sensors in order for the free app to work, correct ?

If so, how do they install ?

Will they work on the class c horizontal tank ?

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
freetime58 wrote:
I have been using the Mopeka Tank Check sensors and free app, transmits fuel levels to your smart phone.....I find it extremely accurate.

have you been using it on a cylinder or an a permanently mounted motorhome tank?
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
Mine reads 3/4 when full, drops to 1/4 when about half empty, then stays there till empty. Pretty useless lol. If Iโ€™m heading out in the winter and Iโ€™ll be using the furnace, Iโ€™ll fill up if itโ€™s not showing 3/4 full. Otherwise I donโ€™t really worry about it. If it runs out, I fill it.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

freetime58
Explorer
Explorer

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Those propane gauges are fairly accurate but confusing, the one on the panel reads in thirds, the one on the tank itself reads in 1/4s.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
You might check out Scan Gauge. It is a much better system for knowing how much is in your tanks.
Takes some time to install, but not all that hard.

pauly_boy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guy's. Your probably right. It's a 40lb tank that reads 3/4 so I'm assuming its good for 4 days worth of use.
Thanks again...Paul

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
A full tank lasts a good long time if you don't use the furnace (or generator, if you have a propane fueled generator), a number of weeks in my case.

Agreed - even in the BBQ case. I've had a 5 gallon tank last a whole season, and that included running the BBQ long after the food was cooked to burn off the mess. For sure, trailer usage is more demanding, but I still find propane capacity to last more than a week.

Where I've gotten into trouble is/was leaving the propane on during storage and underestimating the fridge usage while stored.
There is something special about camping in an RV.