cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dish Network Satellite Question

Explorer II
Explorer II
I have an old Dish SD 322 receiver and Winegard GM-MP1 satellite for my camper. The SD 322 was the original receiver in our home prior to upgrading to HD. At that point, I moved the 322 to the camper to watch sat TV on 1 TV. Works great, looks great. I recently installed a second TV in the bedroom, but am unable to mirror feed the second TV with this system.

Dish is telling me the MP1 in unable to mirror feed. Is this true?
Dish is telling me there are not any dishes available that will allow me to mirror feed. I need a receiver in each room. Is this true? They are pushing the hopper and joey.

I have the original SD Dish 1000 used to mirror feed my home, but without the LNBs. Dish took them back

Are LNBs available for this? Is there a way to resurrect this old dish?

Is the Dish HD 1000.2 compatible with my SD 322 receiver?

I really don't want to change my whole system, everything has been working. It would be great if I can get satellite on the second TV just by changing the dish, if possible. I'm fine with SD in the camper.

Thank you in advance for any advice provided and helping me through this.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857
24 REPLIES 24

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Right. Each BOX (receiver) needs its own coax but 1 box with 2 tuners only requires 1 coax and the splitter.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks TechWriter
The second illustration, without the UHF/VHF diplexer, is what I'm trying to do. I am using the GM-MP1, and that is why it doesn't work.
I agree with not trying to rebuild my old dish. The 500 you pointed me to is about $20 more than the price I would pay to rebuild mine. I'll toss it back in the barn.

In conclusion, I now know why it doesn't work and what to do to make it work. Dish Network was correct in saying it won't work and "THEY" do not sell compatible components to solve my issue. All they wanted to do is upgrade me to Hopper/Joey.

Thanks to everyone for your help
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
2112 wrote:

I'm under the impression that my setup isn't working because my dish LNB is not a "Dish Pro Plus" LNB

If you're currently using a Winegard GM-MP1, then, yes, I believe it uses a single LNBF that's not a DPP.

About your other sat dish . . . the 1000 w/o an LNBF. Throw it out. Not worth trying to upgrade. Even if you do, you'll end up with a triple-LNBF which can be difficult to aim . . . especially if you're used to just pointing that MP1.

I suggest getting an old Dish 500 twin LNBF dish. Easier to aim than a triple LNBF dish and gets sats 110 & 119 (or 119 & 129 if you mis-aim) . . . and a Dish 500 will support two receivers . . . like so:

2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
You can power ONE receiver with ONE coax. However, if you have a dual tuner receiver like the 322 you can power both tuners with a single coax and the correct splitter.

Like so . . .

2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Explorer II
Explorer II
Bill.Satellite wrote:
if you have a dual tuner receiver like the 322 you can power both tuners with a single coax and the correct splitter...

This is exactly what I'm trying to do. I have the original DPP splitter used when this 322 receiver serviced my home. I ordered a new one and am waiting for it to be delivered. What I'm calling a splitter is a Triplexer part number 175284.

I'm under the impression that my setup isn't working because my dish LNB is not a "Dish Pro Plus" LNB

And I'm sure it's obvious why my handle is not "2112.satellite". I'm clueless to this voodoo magic stuff ๐Ÿ˜ž
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
You can power ONE receiver with ONE coax. However, if you have a dual tuner receiver like the 322 you can power both tuners with a single coax and the correct splitter. If you want to power 2 receivers then you need 2 coax cables.

OK, I am getting confused with tuner vs receiver. his one receiver the 322 , with two tuners can run with one coax with proper splitter. if he wants to run two receivers (separate boxes) he needs two cables. I was considering the 322 to be a dual/two receivers, incorrectly. that's why my handle is not "bumpy.satellite" ๐Ÿ™‚
bumpy

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can power ONE receiver with ONE coax. However, if you have a dual tuner receiver like the 322 you can power both tuners with a single coax and the correct splitter. If you want to power 2 receivers then you need 2 coax cables.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

Explorer II
Explorer II
What I've learned (correct me if I'm wrong Bill): My 322 receiver is a Dish Pro Plus (DPP) compatible receiver. DPP allows me to feed 2 receivers with a single cable coming from the dish. However, the dish LNB must be DPP compatible as well. Mine is not ๐Ÿ˜ž
I'll need a second cable going into the camper if I want to watch 2 TVs using the dish and receiver I have. If I'm pulling a second cable, using the existing cable as a pull cord, I might as well pull RG-6. I need to buy some to run to the dish anyway.

It seems my options are:
1) Buy a DPP LNB and mast for my old dish and hope I can get it to work
2) Buy a new dish with the proper DPP LNB
3) Run a second cable into the camper to connect to the TV2 input on the receiver. Connect a second cable from the dish to this new cable.
4) Replace receiver with Hopper/Joey (Don't know if my dish is compatible)
5) Do nothing and be happy with sat on 1 TV

I'm OK with #5 but I'm going to try #3
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
2112 wrote:
Thanks for everyone's help with this.

I had an Aha! moment yesterday evening. I think I can use the RG-59 cable currently installed to pull 2 RG-6 cables to the back of my receiver. It's about a 15' pull. I removed the covers on both ends of the cable and can pull the cable without much resistance. I'm going to try this 1st.

It might be better to tie my fish tape onto the RG-59, pull that through. And then use the fish tape to pull through the RG-6.

but didn't Bill say you only needed one cable for your dual receiver? and for a reasonably short distance wouldn't RG 59 work, at least to try before pulling new wire?
bumpy

Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for everyone's help with this.

I had an Aha! moment yesterday evening. I think I can use the RG-59 cable currently installed to pull 2 RG-6 cables to the back of my receiver. It's about a 15' pull. I removed the covers on both ends of the cable and can pull the cable without much resistance. I'm going to try this 1st.

It might be better to tie my fish tape onto the RG-59, pull that through. And then use the fish tape to pull through the RG-6.
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
DPP=Dish Pro Plus. Exactly what you need. Most any DISH LNB should fit your existing antenna arm.

Explorer II
Explorer II
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Only a home style antenna with the Pro Plus LNB can feed the 2 signals via a single coax to the DISH splitter and feed tuner 1 and 2.
Thank You

This Dish 1000.2 claims to be DPP. Will this work with my 322?
Would you recommend something different?
What is the likelihood of finding a known functioning DPP LNB for my old dish I posted? I have found some used, condition unknown, on the internet but I really don't want to roll the dice on them.
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Only a home style antenna with the Pro Plus LNB can feed the 2 signals via a single coax to the DISH splitter and feed tuner 1 and 2.

thank you.
bumpy

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II