cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bike rack front vs rear

GMH
Explorer
Explorer
I want to carry two e-bikes with us. I have no trailer hitch on the rear of my Cougar or on the front of my F-250 yet. I do have a bike rack that plugs into a receiver hitch. To put a hitch on the rear would be a custom fab job which I would be capable of, but also could farm out. The front hitch is a bolt on available from Curt and others. I don’t like the idea of not being able to see the bikes at the rear and the spare tire may have to be relocated? Any real problems with the front option other than bugs? I will normally only be travelling in daylight hours.
Thanks, Greg.
22 REPLIES 22

GMH
Explorer
Explorer
Thermoguy wrote:
Good job building that. Looks solid.

I wonder if the police will have any issues with headlights and turn signals not being visible. Since it looks like you don't need a front license plate, not an issue, but could be for someone that lives in a state where you need one.

Front plates are required here actually, if I have to relocate it when hauling the bikes I will do so. I don’t intend to be driving at night so hopefully the slight obstruction won’t be an issue. Time will tell I guess.

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good job building that. Looks solid.

I wonder if the police will have any issues with headlights and turn signals not being visible. Since it looks like you don't need a front license plate, not an issue, but could be for someone that lives in a state where you need one.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Interesting...and very well done! You are a handy guy! Nice to accomplish a DIY project, that looks nice, works well, and for little cost!

Jerry

GMH
Explorer
Explorer
The main part that slides into the receiver is now 2” and the cross tube is welded solid so it no longer folds. I also moved the vertical post off center to better suit the bikes I have. It still wobbled due to the loose fit of the receiver. So I welded a couple of 1/2” flange nuts to a metal strip that I can slip inside the 2” rack Tube and fasten in place with a couple of bolts from the outside. It is rock steady now!

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Looks good, and a safe way to haul, with the constant visual contact, no worries. You may even use the front hitch for parking the trailer, or boat, if needed.

Jerry

GMH
Explorer
Explorer
I have bolted in the Curt hitch and it looks like a very good quality unit. It came with very detailed instructions and the installation was easy. The folding CCM rack I have Works well but is quite flimsy. It is made for a 1-1/4” receiver and has an adapter for 2”. i decided to build a sturdier one, using the tire cradles and steady post From the CCM.

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just make sure if you use a rack on the back of the trailer it is not the kind that folds down. The back of a trailer bounces more than the back of a car or truck so that hinge can brake. Yakima makes a rack designed for this with a solid elbow connection. It is a 4 bike rack and we usually carry 3 bikes so it works well. Haven't had any issues.

I researched the idea of a front hitch, but already had a hitch on the back of the trailer, so that made more sense. I liked the idea of having them up front, but lots of people complain of dirt, bugs, etc when on the front. You also would not be able to put a cover on them due to not being able to see through the cover and no headlights at night.

We were following a 5th wheel the other day and his bikes were mounted more to the right side, with the cover I could not see his right tail light. It turns out his left tail light was out so he essentially had no tail lights in the back. I wanted to tell him, but we pulled over before he did. Hope someone told him before he got to far, this was in MT and he had CA plates.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I just purchased a Rola Convoy for my fat tired electric bike. It is very heavy duty and is rated to carry one bike at 80lbs and can be adapted to carry up to 4. Most other racks do not go that high. It also tilts for trunk access and storage. It states however, that it is not for use on travel trailers, motorhomes, or other recreational vehicles. Probably due to the fact that it tilts rearward very easily by just pulling up, out, and down. It can be locked in the up position however with a supplied pin. In fact, the whole rack can be locked in the receiver and the bike hold-down locked so it cannot move.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
We used to haul two bikes on the front of the truck. I liked it until we had to drive in the dark a couple times. That was not pleasant. With the purchase of a new trailer (with a hitch on the back) we now haul the bikes on the back of the trailer. I like this better.
2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2017 F350 6.7 DRW CC LB 4X4
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2009 Saab 93 Aero Convertible
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream

6door74
Explorer
Explorer
For reference, how the bikes look on the the different types of bike racks. I didn't think I'd like the stand up one because it sticks out further, but it's easier to load and sits lower. Light output is fine and I haven't had any overheating issues though i've only towed a trailer once and that was last week in the poconos.

2006 E350 V10
Travel Trailer-TBD

Bowti
Explorer
Explorer
I have both front and rear with a camera. I prefer the front for keeping a much better eye on them.
2013 Keystone Cougar 28SGS Xlite
Shipping weight 7561 lbs
Carrying capacity 2439 lbs
Hitch Pin 1410 lbs
2008 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4X4 Crew Cab
Reese 16K Round Tube Slider
Custom 3 Receiver Hitch Scooter Carrier
2013 Honda PCX Scooter on the Carrier

Bipeflier
Explorer
Explorer
Front on my Silverado. Easy/peasy.
2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

topjimmy
Explorer
Explorer
for Years I hauled 2 Mopeds on my Draw-tite front Hitch with a motorcycle carrier with no problems I like it when I can see them also some folks say it cuts down wind flow to the radiator but I never experienced that and yes they got bugs on them but so what just cleaned them up when I got to the next Resort
2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2007 3500HD GMC Dually LBZ Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
I put a hitch on the front of my truck and a 3 bike carrier. There are no issues. I can see just fine and the headlights shine through the spokes at night. Mine was a bolt on, no drilling required. Pretty sure it is a Curt. The only down side is that when there are no bikes on it, I cannot see the bike rack, so I added a driveway marker (orange and white stick from Lowe's) to the the front so I remember it is there since the rack sticks out about a foot. Under normal driving, the rack is off, it is only on when camping.