Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Battery powered portable fuel transfer pump
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Battery powered portable fuel transfer pump

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/20 09:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So? No more sucking gas through a 3/8" hose? But.......

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/20 11:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RobWNY wrote:

I used to have one of those when I had a kerosene heater years ago. If I remember correctly, it worked great for a while and then bit the dust. But you're right. At the $10 price point, it pays for itself in a few uses. I recently bought one of those shaker siphons. I've only used it once but I was able to fill my garden tractor very easily.

I like mine but don't use it too often.

The biggest problem with them is that the hose comes PRE-KINKED ! There are a few places that sell them without a hose (eBay) so you can buy what you want at your local hardware ware store.

I bought two 5' sections and a nylon splice. If the one is not long enough then add the splice and another 5', no clamps necessary !

Remember that with a siphon, the tank you are taking fuel FROM, needs to be higher the the tank you are sending the fuel TO ! When putting fuel in the car or boat, I place my 5 gallon fuel jug on a tall step stool or step ladder.

SpeakEasy

Western New York

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/20 11:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buyer beware.

I threw mine out this year after wrestling with it for four or five years. When it worked, it was great. But about 75% of the time it didn't work. When it didn't work it was due to corrosion in the impeller shaft. Very difficult to lubricate. If I had a new one I would spray the impeller and shaft with spray silicone every couple of months. That might prevent the corrosion. Once the corrosion is in there it is a losing battle.

-Speak

It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

MEXICOWANDERER

las peƱas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/20 02:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok for distillates like kerosene but not for gasoline. Been there done that. Not so small fire at campsite. Needs to be made of NYLON not polypropylene

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/20 03:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Have an almost identical syphon except it's a large squeeze bulb instead of a battery operated pump.

Probably 15yr old. I prefer manual because if it's stuffed in a compartment for months, I don't have to worry about if the batteries are dead.

Valid point !

TRDP14 Siphon Manual Liquid Transfer

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/20 04:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

RobWNY wrote:

I used to have one of those when I had a kerosene heater years ago. If I remember correctly, it worked great for a while and then bit the dust. But you're right. At the $10 price point, it pays for itself in a few uses. I recently bought one of those shaker siphons. I've only used it once but I was able to fill my garden tractor very easily.

The biggest problem with them is that the hose comes PRE-KINKED ! There are a few places that sell them without a hose (eBay) so you can buy what you want at your local hardware ware store.

I bought two 5' sections and a nylon splice. If the one is not long enough then add the splice and another 5', no clamps necessary !

Remember that with a siphon, the tank you are taking fuel FROM, needs to be higher the the tank you are sending the fuel TO ! When putting fuel in the car or boat, I place my 5 gallon fuel jug on a tall step stool or step ladder.

are you talking about the same thing as the rest of us?
hose??????
bumpy

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/14/20 04:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bumpyroad wrote:

theoldwizard1 wrote:

RobWNY wrote:

hose??????
bumpy

I believe he's referring to the Shaker Siphon I mentioned getting. He is correct. The hose does come Pre-Kinked.

2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

You can't put a porcupine in a barn, set it on fire, and expect to make licorice.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/20 06:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RobWNY wrote:

Bumpyroad wrote:

theoldwizard1 wrote:

RobWNY wrote:

hose??????
bumpy

I believe he's referring to the Shaker Siphon I mentioned getting. He is correct. The hose does come Pre-Kinked.

but if you use one of those, you don't get the excitement of split second timing to get the siphon hose out of your mouth just before you get a mouth full of gasoline. [emoticon]
bumpy

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Battery powered portable fuel transfer pump
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.