cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The Mogollon Rim {Arizona}...

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here in Tucson as we continue to set records for heat...July was the hottest on record {EVER!} escaping up to the mountains to beat the heat is the way to go. We just returned from 4 days up on the Mogollon Rim at 7,650' and had a blast. Daytime temps we're peaking at 82 with nice cool nights in the upper 50's to low 60's. It is only 190 miles from home so the 4 hour ride was a breeze despite some serious climbs... 6 to 8 percent grades lasting 8 - 10 miles but the trusty dusty V-10 always gets it done hauling a 2,600# Cargo trailer.

We even got a little rain yesterday afternoon but alas, not the Monsoon thunderstorms we were hoping for. We stayed at the Mogollon campground, just 18 sites with vault toilets and with our Geezer card it was just $9 a night. Our site was huge and just a short walk, about 100 yards, from the paved walking, hiking, biking trail that skirts the Rim. This is the view looking southwest towards Payson {about 30 miles out}:

Here is a shot taken from our site:

There are hundreds of miles of Forrest Service roads and we were able to ride right out of our site. They are all gravel/dirt with a number of gorgeous lakes to explore so this trip we left the Indian at home and brought our Rzr. We logged about 150 miles exploring and scouting new off the grid sites for future trips. Most of the CG's were full so reservations are a very good idea.

:B
12 REPLIES 12

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
mr_andyj wrote:
are these off-grid boondocking sites full all week or just weekends?

When you go to the right ones, there is no one around.

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
mr_andyj wrote:

Depends on your size and ability to maneuver to the remote sites. Some of the places I go are empty most of the time, but I'm only 21 feet with high clearance.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
We loved camping on the Rim, White mtns, Pinetop Lakeside... are all beautiful. January at Quartzite rv show and February at Lake Havasu Rockabilly Days were really fun, yearly trips. We miss all the Boondocking in Az.. We haven't been able to find spot in the Co. Mtns. Near us, yet. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I lived in Phoenix 30 years ago the campgrounds on the rim were always filled, at least on the weekends. Wives and kids would go up to the rim Wednesday or Thursday at the latest to take a spot for the weekend. Then the husbands would drive up on Friday evening. Weekend traffic north out of Phoenix and returning was a nightmare even then. It must be absurd by now.

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
I've been in the northern Rockies and the PNW this spring & summer and all the campgrounds there are packed, too.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mockturtle, Yes every campground we saw was packed. Even the off grid/boondocking sites were full or nearly so. About two miles down the gravel road beyond Woods Canyon Lake there are about 40 boon docking sites, about half of which sit right on the Rim itself, you just have to camp within 50' of the "Camp Here" post. Every site was occupied and when we drove our Rzr another 15 miles into the boonies there were lots of folks most of whom looked like they had been or would be there for the maximum permitted 14 day stay.

If you are headed up to the Rim I recommend trying for reservations whenever possible. Keep in mind it is a short season with most of the Cg's shutting down in early October or with the first snowfall that can come even earlier. We only had one brief rain on Wednesday afternoon and returning to Tucson found more record breaking temperatures with no chance of rain in the 7 day forecast... Arrrrg!

:E

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Dad had a ranch in Long Valley for over 30 years. Great place to spend the summer. In October during fall roundup it was 12 degrees every morning. The winters are plenty tough. We moved the cattle down by the Verde River in the thorny rock piles and avoiding feeding hay altogether.

Locals call the Rim, "the Mountain", "the Plateau", and lots of other things. It is a great place. On a cloudy day it is easy to get turned around out in the woods with no roads or trails chasing cattle.

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
Love the Mogollon Rim! Is it crowded up there? For various reasons I came home to Yuma early this summer. I was hoping for at least the monsoons but none in sight. Low temps are in the 90's here in the Yuma Foothills and highs around 115 (it was actually 120 at my house yesterday and will be hotter today). Once I get my construction project under contract and started, maybe take off again until it cools down.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
We Tucsonans had a rocky mountain high last week in Silverton, CO at 9318 feet. Busy, busy, busy place. Campgrounds full, off road trails full. Crossed some passes at 12,800 feet with the RZR, hard to breath. Still, a beautiful place.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
we ran this trail in our jeep wrangler a few years ago. if you're close it would be worth a day.

General Crook Trail - Camp Verde, AZ
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

wiskeyVI
Explorer
Explorer
I love Northern Arizona!
I hope this winter isn't hot down in the Tucson area...that's where we plan on spending it.