cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A dangling tank heater...

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just got home yesterday after a great 4 day trip up to the Mogollon Rim to beat the heat here in Tucson. Went out this morning to wash the rig and saw the black tank heater dangling, mostly held in place by the power wires.

Evidently after 8 plus years the adhesive used to secure the heater to the bottom of the tank finally gave up its grip. I applied clear Gorilla Glue and used a two by to support my bottle jack. Then I slid a scrap piece of 3/4" plywood to evenly distribute pressure onto the heater in order to give the glue a chance to set up.

I placed two long pieces of 2" Gorilla Tape across each end. Once the glue sets {should be pretty well there in a couple of hours as it is in the low 90's already} I will drop the jack and place a couple more strips of tape across the middle of the heater to further secure until the glue can reach full strength which takes a day or two. Probably will just leave the tape in place
until it eventually dries out and can be removed cleanly.

Fortunately I won't be using the tanks heaters for a few months though they did a get a work out last June up in Yellowstone and the Grand Teton's. I checked the grey tank heater and it appears to be secure but will monitor it for any signs of loosening up as we bounce down the
dusty trail.

:C
4 REPLIES 4

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
Desert Captain wrote:
Just got home yesterday after a great 4 day trip up to the Mogollon Rim to beat the heat here in Tucson. Went out this morning to wash the rig and saw the black tank heater dangling, mostly held in place by the power wires.

Evidently after 8 plus years the adhesive used to secure the heater to the bottom of the tank finally gave up its grip. I applied clear Gorilla Glue and used a two by to support my bottle jack. Then I slid a scrap piece of 3/4" plywood to evenly distribute pressure onto the heater in order to give the glue a chance to set up.

I placed two long pieces of 2" Gorilla Tape across each end. Once the glue sets {should be pretty well there in a couple of hours as it is in the low 90's already} I will drop the jack and place a couple more strips of tape across the middle of the heater to further secure until the glue can reach full strength which takes a day or two. Probably will just leave the tape in place
until it eventually dries out and can be removed cleanly.

Fortunately I won't be using the tanks heaters for a few months though they did a get a work out last June up in Yellowstone and the Grand Teton's. I checked the grey tank heater and it appears to be secure but will monitor it for any signs of loosening up as we bounce down the
dusty trail.

:C
Nice work there Desert Captain!

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
120* weather can wreck havoc on anything.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I believe you did a good job!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
It's always been in the back of my mind, how these things stay attached with just adhesive/glue. I may add some tape to mine as a reinforcing agent, just in case. They've never been used.
Thanks for the repair demo pics.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)