cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

For Alaskans going S... is snowbirding essential travel?

sidney
Explorer
Explorer
Last spring we were very concerned about being allowed to drive home from the lower 48 to our home in Alaska. Thankfully the Canadian BSO let us cross the border. We did not have an RV... just traveling in our truck. We drove straight through in 3 days... only stopping for fuel. It was not a fun trip.

Ay that time I never imagined I would be worried we might not be able to drive through Canada this fall to our winter 5th wheel home.

My understanding is the Canadian BSO makes the decision to allow entry on a case by case basis at the border. BEFORE we drive 400+ miles to get to the border we sure would like to know if we will be allowed entry to drive straight through to the lower 48.

We will be traveling in our truck again with no RV.

Please... if anyone has additional information regarding if snowbird travel from AK is allowed please share.
31 REPLIES 31

charlestonsouth
Explorer
Explorer
Tequila, I have great empathy for you. If that is now your home, you should be able to go there. You probably noticed the analogy I drew. If Canadians can go home (even now) from Mexico, you should be able to go home to Mexico; it should not matter whether it is through the US south border or US north border.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
charlestonsouthern wrote:
I know one fellow who lives in Mexico and currently has his temporary resident card and working on his permanent resident card in Mexico; he is visiting close friends in BC Canada to take care of some personal business and now wants to drive back home to San Miguel, and the US Border Patrol won't let him through to return home, even when showing them all the residency paper work. If the US back in March allowed all Canadians to cross into the US to go home, why would the US not allow him to cross into the US so that he can also go home to Mexico? Just doesn't make any sense.

Hmm, I am also a Mexican resident in Canada. I was wondering if my resident card would get me across into the US or not.

charlestonsouth
Explorer
Explorer
Full time, he crossed in early March and did his quarantine alone in a borrowed friend's apartment.

charlestonsouth
Explorer
Explorer
Full time, yes, he has a Canadian Passport (just like you possibly do) but he has a resident card in Mexico with Mexico plates on his car and is retired but has his retirement investments in Canada; there are many Canadians whose home is in Mexico via a resident card. The only thing I can come up with is for him to pay a visit to the US Consulate in BC and discuss what he should do.

FULLTIMEWANABE
Explorer
Explorer
charlestonsouthern wrote:
I know one fellow who lives in Mexico and currently has his temporary resident card and working on his permanent resident card in Mexico; he is visiting close friends in BC Canada to take care of some personal business and now wants to drive back home to San Miguel, and the US Border Patrol won't let him through to return home, even when showing them all the residency paper work. If the US back in March allowed all Canadians to cross into the US to go home, why would the US not allow him to cross into the US so that he can also go home to Mexico? Just doesn't make any sense.

When did he cross into Canada? Assuming post mid March I'm guessing he came in on a Canadian passport? What passport is he carrying? Just saying if Canadian that might be why and unless he has an official employment letter with start/resume date in Mexico or return date, they might not deem it essential travel. Everything so up in the air right now, which brings me to the fact that we can't drive across the border as non essential, yet we can fly to select US cities and as Canadian not be quarantined. Go figure. Plane bubble versus personal auto bubble = I know which one I'd feel safer with.
It Takes No More Effort To Aim High Than To Aim Low - Reach For The Stars

charlestonsouth
Explorer
Explorer

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
I suggest you get a very recent COVID test before the crossing and bring those test results (negative, hopefully) with you.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
The wording "this measure also applies" would mean that the "measure" is for non discretionary travel such as work related or returning to your residence. I doubt you could convince them that going to your rv for the winter would fit the intent of the rule
We all know that the concept of living in an rv confuses border personell. The rules are far too restrictive and almost ambiguous.They are not even allowing families to attend funerals across the border.

sidney
Explorer
Explorer
Tequila wrote:
There is this. It indicates it is possible.

https://www.canada.ca/en/border-services-agency/news/2020/07/covid-19-stricter-rules-for-foreign-nat...

Thank you!

Flyboy320
Explorer
Explorer
moisheh wrote:
There is no mention of allowing entry from Alaska.

There is this one paragraph mid way down the article which covers it.

These measures also apply to foreign nationals transiting to the U.S. through Canada from Alaska. However, entry into Canada from Alaska on the northern border is not limited to designated POEs. Additional measures might be imposed at time of entry by a border services officer (BSO).

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
To OP,

If they say no, what is your fall back plan?

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
There is no mention of allowing entry from Alaska.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer

Flyboy320
Explorer
Explorer
sidney wrote:
Flyboy320 wrote:
sidney wrote:
SAR Tracker wrote:
Beaver Creek YT crossing info (including phone)

I appreciate you posting the info but your link is for the US border station... staffed by US border agents. When you leave AK you drive right past this station without stopping.

The Canadian station is a different facility about 10 miles east of the US station. This is where you are stopped and inspected and granted permission.

I havenโ€™t been able to find a Canadian phone number to contact the Canadian border agents... that is who I need to call.

Maybe one of our Canadian forum members can find the phone number?

I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

I can only find the US Border Svc number. For the Canadian side I can only find their postal address. May I suggest you call the US Border svc # and see if they have a contact # for the Canadian side. Otherwise you may have to send them a letter ASAP.
Best I can do......

Yes... that's what I ws thinking too... call the US side for the number.

Will see

Thanks for helping

OK...looked on CBSA website...general info/ questions. 1-800-461-9999 or contact@cbsa.gc.ca

They should be able to give you info and Beaver Creek phone #.