cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Border closure extended..again

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-us-border-closure-september-21-1.5686475Now to Sept 21st.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/
23 REPLIES 23

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
deleted...posted elsewhere

AKsilvereagle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Back in July I practically wrote off knowing there was a slim to none chance upon going to Canada this year - with the increasing pandemic cases in the United States occurring out of control....

I am really bummed that my 13 consecutive years of visiting Canada will come to an end and 14 of the last 15 years at that.

So this what the last day I spent in Canada returning home in my 2WD rig looked like in Oct 2019 with four inches of snow on the shoulders at this point :

Mile 1135 Alaska Hwy. at White River Bridge :

Mile 1136 Alaska Hwy. :

Got a break from snowfall for a bit along the way to Beaver Creek before going thru more intermittent ice and snow covered roads on the Alaska side....

Mile 1141 Alaska Hwy. :

Final Stop in Canada to Date...
1202 Inn - Beaver Creek Yukon Territory :

I decided not to travel abroad in the states this year because of the pandemic (too scared to travel by plane and face strict travel measures) and was thinking what kind of camping trip I would do on my vacation time this year in which I decided to take time off anyway and stay landlocked in Alaska -

On a Plan B scenario earlier in the summer should Canada be out of the equation later on - is possibly going to Kodiak Island for the first time, but decided not to after an outbreak occurred on the MV Matanuska just recently.

So a plan C is in the works which will be a short RV trip somewhere in Alaska this year - either a Kenai Peninsula, Interior-Southcentral Loop, or an Arctic Circle trip if the weather holds up by the time I am ready to go on the road.

I was due to start my 2020 trip thru Dawson City Yukon, however that is done cancelled, so it is officially official that I will not be present in Canada in 2020.
1975 Ford F250 2WD Ranger XLT (Owned June 2013)
460 V8- C6 Trans- 3.73:1 (196K Total Mi)
2000 Fleetwood Angler 8ft Cabover
Air Lift 1000 (Front)
Hellwig 3500 lb Helper Springs (rear)
Hellwig Front and Rear Sway Bars
Goodyear G971 LT Series (siped)

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
I dont think the border will be open until a vaccine. I am a Mexican resident with documentation and I cannot transit the US by land. Not that I want to right now.

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
yay on the extension. also yay on the tomatoes. My plants are producing almost faster than we can eat them this year. if you arent growing your own, leamingtons tomato crop as as good as it gets.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
PackerBacker wrote:
EEWally wrote:
I remember news stories years ago about Canadians buying places in the US SW, Las Vegas, Arizona, etc. I forget the name and cause of this opportunity.

Are those folks allowed to come down to their places in the US? What's required to go back to Canada?

No we cannot go to our places. We have a camp in the NY Adirondacks that I havenโ€™t been able to go to even check it out since last December.

What I wish we were able to do is simply travel directly to our place without stopping, check everything out and then come straight home. No stopping for gas or a quick trip into Walmart, just in and out, the authorities can even track me on my iPhone if they want!

Our home in Canada is only 38 miles from the border; itโ€™s extremely frustrating but I do understand the need to control movement to limit this terrible disease.

... Eric

This is the silly part of it. You canโ€™t drive a couple of hours down & back even just to check on your place, but I can fly to Florida & back no questions asked and all I need to do is agree to quarantine on my arrival back into Canada.

Flyboy320
Explorer
Explorer
We have a place in Casa Grande, AZ. With the #`s below and the continuing upward trend, we won`t be headed south until the USA gets a handle on the virus ...border open or not!

Brian Klaas
@brianklaas
ยท3h
Yet again, here's covid-19 deaths yesterday:

Spain: 24
France: 17
Japan: 16
Canada: 13
UK: 12
Germany: 9

United States: 1,358

Population of countries above: 426 million
Population of United States: 328 million

Community Alumni
Not applicable
EEWally wrote:
I remember news stories years ago about Canadians buying places in the US SW, Las Vegas, Arizona, etc. I forget the name and cause of this opportunity.

Are those folks allowed to come down to their places in the US? What's required to go back to Canada?

No we cannot go to our places. We have a camp in the NY Adirondacks that I havenโ€™t been able to go to even check it out since last December.

What I wish we were able to do is simply travel directly to our place without stopping, check everything out and then come straight home. No stopping for gas or a quick trip into Walmart, just in and out, the authorities can even track me on my iPhone if they want!

Our home in Canada is only 38 miles from the border; itโ€™s extremely frustrating but I do understand the need to control movement to limit this terrible disease.

... Eric

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Canadians are not barred from flying into the US, itโ€™s only driving in thatโ€™s not permitted.

There is no problem returning to Canada, it does however require a 14 day quarantine.

Wanting to go is a whole other matter.

GeeWillakers
Explorer
Explorer
I donโ€™t think they can. I know four couples that have places in Indio, Palm Desert, La Quinta, and Tucson. At this point one says theyโ€™ll go when allowed and three say it depends on the situation there. They would be able to return but would have to quarantine if the border restrictions are still in place.
2007 Triple-E Commander A3202FB W22 8.1 6spd Banks Power
2014 Jeep Wrangler JK toad, a Bug and a Frenchie

EEWally
Explorer
Explorer

1997 Lance Squire 5000, 10-foot camper
2001 Dodge Ram, Cummins, Ext. Cab, 2WD
Our Trip Journal

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think far too many people, on both sides of the border, are even more overly sensitive than they were previously and take the smallest comment as a slur or innuendo of some sort.

The same is true of general comments and text messages, itโ€™s hard to add the inflection the human voice conveys and thus is often taken the wrong way.

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
zb39 wrote:
I see this story is in the politics section. Thats about right.

Was not intended to be a political post...it was intended to keep travelers informed. You may not be wanting to head north thru or to, Canada, but many do.

Gary Haupt...O.P.

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
Wife and I have a place to head to for beefsteak tomatoes just outside of Leamington, Ontario. BlTs two days ago and just good old tomatoe sandwiches yesterday for lunch. 6 for $3. Nice drive from here. Gets us out of the house during this time of COVID.
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
zb39 wrote:
I see this story is in the politics section. Thats about right.

We are talking โ€œ tomatoesโ€....

๐Ÿ˜‰
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks