cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire pressure gauges

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have the typical stick type gauge, which I don't trust. So I bought one with a dial and needle. Got home to check it out and Great it works real nice. 64 lbs. Got out the old stick type and it reads 52 lbs. How do I know which is correct? But a third one and take the average?
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!
70 REPLIES 70

LeslieCovin1974
Explorer
Explorer
KD4UPL wrote:
I have always wondered what the NASCAR teams use when they talk about taking out half a pound of air.

I do not think that what they use is compatible in real life

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Yeah, I had to get a compressor rated to 160 psi to enable to inflate my G-rated trailer tires to 110 psi. The 125 psi compressor just wouldn't cut it. Although not such a big deal anymore as I run my tires down at 95 psi now for a better ride.

They make air pressure doublers. Use an may still install them in Newmars, I think. I haven't because life got in the way and .....

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah, I had to get a compressor rated to 160 psi to enable to inflate my G-rated trailer tires to 110 psi. The 125 psi compressor just wouldn't cut it. Although not such a big deal anymore as I run my tires down at 95 psi now for a better ride.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
I have two expensive stick gauges. they are hard to seat and the pressures are not accurate. The indicator stick is in tight in both.
I have an American made sccrew on for both tires at the same time so both get the same inflation the gauge is accurate but it is nigh impossible to screw it on the inside tie valve and they leak as you unscrew them.Next time i see a Snap on I will inquire what he has if it is near a bank.
I have dial gauge on a hose that attaches to my onboard air compressor, that shuts off at 125psi. Impossible to get 110 lbs in fronts with it or with it. And on Freightliner semi that tried to assist in Shawnee,either.

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Turns out the Viair Compressor I ordered includes a dial type gauge. For what this unit costs, it better be accurate.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
PA12DRVR wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Well, we have kids, grandkids, and great grandkids, and everybody needs to check their air pressure now and again. If I only had one gauge, it would disappear in short order. ๐Ÿ™‚

"....and everybody needs GRANDPA to check their air pressure AND PROPERTY INFLATE THEIR TIRES now and again...."

^^^ My version....but I also adopt the "put one in every spot I might need it" approach.
Well, yeah, that's actually the way it goes. LOL
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

GMH
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a couple of liquid filled guages and made my own. I use the low pressure one mostly on my spray booth for airbrushing, but I can check tire pressures with either one. I also have one of the large stick ones that I keep in the truck at all times.

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Well, we have kids, grandkids, and great grandkids, and everybody needs to check their air pressure now and again. If I only had one gauge, it would disappear in short order. ๐Ÿ™‚

"....and everybody needs GRANDPA to check their air pressure AND PROPERTY INFLATE THEIR TIRES now and again...."

^^^ My version....but I also adopt the "put one in every spot I might need it" approach.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:

I do know how that works :R

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Depends on how much difference there is between the three. I have 4 that I use regularly and they all agree within 1-2 psi.

Which one do you use the most ,or do you just switch off from one to the other
I have one that stays in the truck, 2 if you count the pencil type gauge for the duallys, and three others that stay in a drawer in the garage. And yes, I just grab whichever one comes to hand. But I had all 4 of them out yesterday, and checked them against each other. All were exact, or within 1-2 psi.

I just need one , if I had four I would be looking constainly for one, I have several pair of reading glasses ,and can never find one :B I should practice the same as I do with that one air gauge , keep it the door pocket of my truck, and I always make sure I put it back.

dedmiston
coolmom42 wrote:
dedmiston wrote:
I switched to THIS STYLE years ago when I got tired of swapping between the inflator and the gauge when I'm checking/filling tires. Between the twelve tires on the truck and trailer and the ten tires on the family's motorcycles, that's a lot of swapping. I really love that inflator.

Will that work with dual rear tires?

Noobie to dually here.

Yes, I guess. It will work to the extent that any inflator will. The inside dual tires are still next to impossible to reach unless you install valve extensions. That's a topic for another thread though, I suppose.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
That's the problem with using only one gauge, and it's not checked against a known good reading. Use several and go by the ones that agree. Like I said, I have 4 and they all agree. I've pitched the ones that don't agree with the majority, kind of a democratic way to go. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
This thread got me thinking. Please bear with me. This morning I was airing up a car tire that was low. I used the gauge on airhose/trigger type assembly. I filled it to the appropriate level (51 lbs). Then I decided to use another gauge and it read 44 lbs. Whoa...7 lbs difference. I found another gauge I have used a lot and when I used it, it was around 44 lbs. Then it made me think, I have been using the hose assembly with the trigger for awhile now so when I thought I had the right amount of air in the tires, I was actually low. Granted, the two could be bad and the one with the high reading could be the good one, but I am doubting that. I will continue to check with a few other gauges I have (try to keep them in vehicles) to see what they record.