Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Tire pressure gauges
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > Tire pressure gauges

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
dodge guy

Bartlett IL

Senior Member

Joined: 03/23/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/21/20 09:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok guys I was kidding about trusting the TPMS! I use a digital gauge that I bought on line. Much easier to read and I don’t have to guess how many hashes are between the numbers on a sliding gauge. However some digital ones are off. But if you’re within a couple psi I consider it correct. And how does one know which gauge is the correct one. Sure you can take it to a tire shop and use their gauge, but how do we know that one is accurate!

As far as TPMS systems......some are off by 5 psi! Both factory and aftermarket, so we can’t really trust them either!


Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!


JimK-NY

NY

Senior Member

Joined: 05/12/2010

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/21/20 01:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My TPMS system is dead accurate, but....

the signals from the sensors are sent periodically so the system is not useful for adding or dropping pressure.

cummins2014

Utah

Senior Member

Joined: 02/20/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/22/20 10:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

Ok guys I was kidding about trusting the TPMS! I use a digital gauge that I bought on line. Much easier to read and I don’t have to guess how many hashes are between the numbers on a sliding gauge. However some digital ones are off. But if you’re within a couple psi I consider it correct. And how does one know which gauge is the correct one. Sure you can take it to a tire shop and use their gauge, but how do we know that one is accurate!

As far as TPMS systems......some are off by 5 psi! Both factory and aftermarket, so we can’t really trust them either!



I trust my TPMS now that I have established the difference in my tire gauge , as said my truck is right on with my tire gauge , the TST 507 is 2-3 psi. I am certainly not going to take my sensors off to check tire pressure on my fifth wheel. I let the TPMS do that, thats what its there for. Sure I have to take them off if I have to adjust air pressure.

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

Senior Member

Joined: 10/07/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/22/20 12:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

My TPMS system is dead accurate, but....

the signals from the sensors are sent periodically so the system is not useful for adding or dropping pressure.


Exactly, and the reason the flow-thru sensors are not well suited for making pressure adjustments.


Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate


cummins2014

Utah

Senior Member

Joined: 02/20/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/26/20 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dutch_12078 wrote:

JimK-NY wrote:

My TPMS system is dead accurate, but....

the signals from the sensors are sent periodically so the system is not useful for adding or dropping pressure.


Exactly, and the reason the flow-thru sensors are not well suited for making pressure adjustments.



The whole purpose with the flow-thru sensors is to make pressure adjustments. I have heard its a bit of slow process ,but I would imagine for a 5 psi or so adjustment it would not be a big deal. As far as periodically, not sure that would be a deterrent . We are not talking any amount of time involved here, it goes from one tire to another within couple seconds or so., but yes you would have to wait for a few seconds for it to come around to the reading of that tire, but its sure doable. Going back ,and forth from the inflator to the gauge is just about the same I would think. Add air read the monitor seems pretty easy to me.

The big reason I didn't go with the flow-thru were the size of them, they are bulky, and stick out a bit more, and the fact they are supposedly pretty slow getting air thru them . I find taking off the non flow-thru sensor is not that much different then removing the valve cap.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2003

View Profile



Posted: 08/26/20 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The flow-through sensors for the TST system are very slow. If I have to add more than a couple PSI, I take the sensors off. Adding as little as 5 psi will take a few minutes. More trouble than they're worth IMO. I would not get them again.


Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

cummins2014

Utah

Senior Member

Joined: 02/20/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/26/20 10:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

The flow-through sensors for the TST system are very slow. If I have to add more than a couple PSI, I take the sensors off. Adding as little as 5 psi will take a few minutes. More trouble than they're worth IMO. I would not get them again.


Have heard that before . plus they are pretty big ,and stick out more then I would want .

ryoung

Oregon

Senior Member

Joined: 11/11/2002

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/26/20 12:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you know someone who works in an industry that has a instrument calibration shop, have them calibrate or test the accuracy of the tire gauge. I had this opportunity for the 30 years that I worked in a chemical plant.

ryoung


2018 Ram 3500 SRW Diesel
2019 Wolf Creek 840


Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

Senior Member

Joined: 10/07/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/26/20 05:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cummins2014 wrote:

Dutch_12078 wrote:

JimK-NY wrote:

My TPMS system is dead accurate, but....

the signals from the sensors are sent periodically so the system is not useful for adding or dropping pressure.


Exactly, and the reason the flow-thru sensors are not well suited for making pressure adjustments.



The whole purpose with the flow-thru sensors is to make pressure adjustments. I have heard its a bit of slow process ,but I would imagine for a 5 psi or so adjustment it would not be a big deal. As far as periodically, not sure that would be a deterrent . We are not talking any amount of time involved here, it goes from one tire to another within couple seconds or so., but yes you would have to wait for a few seconds for it to come around to the reading of that tire, but its sure doable. Going back ,and forth from the inflator to the gauge is just about the same I would think. Add air read the monitor seems pretty easy to me.

The big reason I didn't go with the flow-thru were the size of them, they are bulky, and stick out a bit more, and the fact they are supposedly pretty slow getting air thru them . I find taking off the non flow-thru sensor is not that much different then removing the valve cap.


Consider the process for airing up with the flow-thru sensors: Unscrew the valve cap, air up the tire, screw the valve cap back on. Now consider the process for airing up with valve cap sensors: Unscrew the sensor, air up the tire, screw the sensor back on. Hmmmm...

If you have TST cap sensors like I do, I took the rotating security caps off as soon as I got the system, making the sensors smaller and lighter with no tool needed to install or remove them. They're also less noticeable.

cummins2014

Utah

Senior Member

Joined: 02/20/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/27/20 08:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dutch_12078 wrote:

cummins2014 wrote:

Dutch_12078 wrote:

JimK-NY wrote:

My TPMS system is dead accurate, but....

the signals from the sensors are sent periodically so the system is not useful for adding or dropping pressure.


Exactly, and the reason the flow-thru sensors are not well suited for making pressure adjustments.



The whole purpose with the flow-thru sensors is to make pressure adjustments. I have heard its a bit of slow process ,but I would imagine for a 5 psi or so adjustment it would not be a big deal. As far as periodically, not sure that would be a deterrent . We are not talking any amount of time involved here, it goes from one tire to another within couple seconds or so., but yes you would have to wait for a few seconds for it to come around to the reading of that tire, but its sure doable. Going back ,and forth from the inflator to the gauge is just about the same I would think. Add air read the monitor seems pretty easy to me.

The big reason I didn't go with the flow-thru were the size of them, they are bulky, and stick out a bit more, and the fact they are supposedly pretty slow getting air thru them . I find taking off the non flow-thru sensor is not that much different then removing the valve cap.


Consider the process for airing up with the flow-thru sensors: Unscrew the valve cap, air up the tire, screw the valve cap back on. Now consider the process for airing up with valve cap sensors: Unscrew the sensor, air up the tire, screw the sensor back on. Hmmmm...

If you have TST cap sensors like I do, I took the rotating security caps off as soon as I got the system, making the sensors smaller and lighter with no tool needed to install or remove them. They're also less noticeable.


Yes ,I have the TST cap sensors, you apparently have the newer cap sensors , mine are not the new rotating style from TST that they came out with. Sounds like the newer ones are a bit more bulky. I know the flow-thru are a lot bigger then I like . Mine are a bit older, although I have only had them for about a year ,and a half. I am thinking now why the price was so good on the kit, the four sensors, repeater ,and color monitor, they were a clearance item making way for the newer style cap sensors, or just older stock. Either way the price was right ,and they work well .

So as far as taking off the security cap thats not possible with mine, if I didn't want the locking nut on the back side of the sensors I could eliminate those, and eliminate the wrench also. Now that I think about it ,not too concerned having that locking nut for security .

It sounds like some take their sensors off when not in use to save on the batteries . Out of curiosity, I checked the batteries this spring , and they were okay after sitting all winter .

As far as mine go I have to take them off for air adjustment . My point was it could be an option if you are using the flow-thru, just to have the monitor right there to read pressure if the air adjustments are being made. I know its probably just as easy to use the gauge . But it sounds like they are not very practical for air adjustment ,and would be just as easy to take them off.

* This post was edited 08/27/20 08:30am by cummins2014 *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > Tire pressure gauges
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.