cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utah, Highway 12 Advice

joraz
Explorer
Explorer
We are thinking about heading from Bryce Canyon through Torrey on Highway 12. We drove that road in a toad years ago but I don't remember exactly what it was like. The Mountain book describes a pretty hairy road with up to 12% grades. Have any of you guys done it in your RV? What's it like? Thanks.
jor
09 LazyDaze
19 REPLIES 19

riltri
Explorer
Explorer
lbrjet wrote:
Rilrti,

When you are in Escalante if you have time take a drive to Boulder and then down Burr Trail Road to the end to the back entrance to Capitol Reef. There is a parking area there with great views. The road has some great scenery and will also give you a chance to see one of prettiest stretches of 12 without the trailer.

THANKS for the tip. We will be there for 4 nights so I'm sure we will have time. We are trail runners and have a dog. Any advise on any areas outside of the park where we can run with our dog?
Blue Ridge Mtns - NC

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
Rilrti,

When you are in Escalante if you have time take a drive to Boulder and then down Burr Trail Road to the end to the back entrance to Capitol Reef. There is a parking area there with great views. The road has some great scenery and will also give you a chance to see one of prettiest stretches of 12 without the trailer.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

riltri
Explorer
Explorer
Glad the OP asked the question!! We are heading from Bryce to Escalante to Torrey 2nd week of October. I was a bit nervous about it until I read this.
Blue Ridge Mtns - NC

MRUSA
Explorer
Explorer
It is a spectacular road that everyone should drive. I drove it in a DP and had no problems whatsoever. The gas powered motorhomes were very slow climbing that hill, but they made it. Do it!
Marc, Wellington FL
2013 Entegra Anthem 44SL
2018 Lincoln MKX toad
EEZ-RV tire pressure monitor

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
joraz wrote:
We are thinking about heading from Bryce Canyon through Torrey on Highway 12. We drove that road in a toad years ago but I don't remember exactly what it was like. The Mountain book describes a pretty hairy road with up to 12% grades. Have any of you guys done it in your RV? What's it like? Thanks.
jor

Love it - it's one of the great Roads we will go out of our way to Drive/See anytime we are even Remotely Close.

It is likely you did not drive the HogBack as IMHO it is very Memorable, not to be forgotten.

The little bit of 12% grade is short and a Non Issue, the Hog Back is just Beautiful.

We have seldom seen many other RV's on the road as we are usually there in the Winter, with very little Traffic.

Report back to let us Know how you enjoyed the drive.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

dedmiston
joraz wrote:
Thanks to all for the great info. Onto Highway 12 ma?ana!
jor

So how was the drive?

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
X3 and did it last summer in our 45’ towing. The 12% is only 3-400’ long at the Hog Back in a tight turn. Yes I’d do it again in a big rig...breathtaking.

If you do not want to use 12, and instead of 89, 22 north at the entrance to Bryce is a good road and much shorter than using 89, but longer than 12.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
I seek out and drive ANY road labeled “scenic” whether towing or not.

X2

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
Hope you enkoyed the drive. The dreaded hogback is only 1/2 mile long and done before you know it.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
I have driven that road twice with a fifth-wheel and don't recall any 12% grades, but maybe I was just too engrossed in the wonderful scenery to notice anything else.

joraz
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for the great info. Onto Highway 12 ma?ana!
jor
09 LazyDaze

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
We were on it a few years ago with our 43ft MH pulling a pickup truck.Fun drive !
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

StarkNaked
Explorer II
Explorer II
Awesome road! As already mentioned, not for the faint of heart. But the views are incredible. It is a high pass, pay attention to the weather forecast.

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
If I was going to stay off every road with the scenic label, I would just be driving around in Illinois on their state roads. That place is so flat that counties have to share a hill.
My personal view is the steeper and most crooked are the best roads to see. I have to stop frequently to look around but that is why I am on vacation in the mountains.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired