cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trailer sway

jotityra
Explorer
Explorer
Can trailer tires cause trailer sway? I have a 2015 jayco 26bh and I am sure the hitch is setup correctly, but I am getting more sway than I would like. When a semi or a truck pass by it really pulls the trailer. This is my first trip with the new truck, which is way better than my last one. But I still get a little bit more sway than I'd like. I'm thinking that the tires are original on the camper and the side walls are not stiff enough to hold up to being pushed around. That's my working theory anyway. The trailer is a 2015 jayco 26bh with original tires, towing with a 2020 f150 supercrew 4x4 5.0 3.55 rear end. I know the tires are due for replacement anyway but the tread looks great so I thought we would get through this year with them. We weren't sure if we would get any camping done this year at all but it looks like we have a few trips planned. This is the 2nd year we have owned the camper. Also the tires are power king st205/75r15 towmax str load range c. I am looking at the Goodyear endurance trailer tires as I like the specs and reviews on those. The hitch I'm using is a Eaz-Lift Recurve R3 with the sway control incorporated into the hith, my other thought is to add a sway control bar to the hitch but the reviews on this hitch are good and people seem to like it

2015 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH. Towing with a 2020 F150 supercrew 4x4 with a 5.0L V8 and 3.55 rear end
29 REPLIES 29

parker_rowe
Explorer
Explorer
Is what you are really getting sway, or just getting pushed by passing vehicles?

Even if everything is set up correctly I would think you can still get the push. Sometimes I get a push even from cars/vans/pickups passing if they are going substantially faster then me. Bigger the speed difference, more pronounced the push is.

If you have a oscillating/back and forth sway after the push, that that is a problem.
2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Most likely you have Passenger tires on the truck and not LT tires. The LT tires will make a huge difference.

Put Goodyear Endurance tires on the trailer. The only ST205/75R15 GY has is a D load range. You could step to a 225 tire and get the E load range but you have to have a 6 inch wide rim, minimum, which I bet you do not have.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
You seriously donโ€™t need G rated tires. My trailer is on its third set of Carlisle Es. The trailer is 36โ€™ and 10K plus. It pulls fine and the tires have been good. We tow upwards of 20k miles a year. Truck tires make a big difference too.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
jotityra wrote:

I'm sure the tires are of the P metric variety. the truck is a lease vehicle so changing the truck tires will probably not happen.

Not officially "recommending" this, but I haul alot of trailers with 1/2 tons with factory tires on them and when a little extra support is needed, I'll air them up to 50psi on 44psi tires and 60psi on 50psi XL tires and it helps a bunch. Typically it's not sway issues for me, flatbed trailers with too much tongue weight usually.
Had 1 1/2 ton that I was working hard pretty regularly. Boss wouldn't get me a HD truck and the equip dept wouldn't put new tires on it. Ran those little Hankook P something or others at about 65 psi for months. Basically tried to blow one up. Was not successful at blowing it up, but it did haul trailers much better!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
I'm assuming you have experimented with adjusting the anti-sway tension screw built into your hitch. I replaced my Towmax tires with Goodyearyear Endurance tires on my fifth wheel and experienced zero towing difference. However, I had no sway to begin with. The Endurance tires have stiffer sidewalls and more shallow tread depth so they may squirm less. If your Towmax tires are 5 years old you will want to replace them anyway. Load range G for that trailer doesn't make sense. I would go with whatever Goodyear has in your size. Gut feel, trailer tires aren't your problem.

You are riding really level. I hope you don't have air bags on your truck which would exacerbate sway. Could be your truck isn't up to the job.

Sway is tiring and potentially dangerous. A Hensley or Pro Pride hitch may be an appropriate fix for your problem. They project the pivot point to the rear axle of your truck and don't rely on friction to reduce sway.

jotityra
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, so knowing these tires need to be replaced asap I ordered some Carlisle HD trail D rated 8 ply tires. I got 4 from Walmart for 300 bucks so we'll see where we go from there. Coming home on this trip from the UP it was crazy with the wind. When we got closer to home and the road had trees next to it with no wind it towed pretty good. I just can't swing the extra money for the Goodyear endurance I was looking at but the Carlisle tires had good reviews and are rated for 81 mph and 2150 per tire. We buy Carlisle tires at work for the trailers and have not had any issues. We'll see in a couple of weeks on our next trip. All great comments and advice as usual.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH. Towing with a 2020 F150 supercrew 4x4 with a 5.0L V8 and 3.55 rear end

jotityra
Explorer
Explorer
aftermath wrote:
joytitra, just read through your thread again. I still say you need new trailer tires but another good point was raised. What truck tire do you have? I purchased a new tundra in 2008 and pulled my hybrid with it. When I got my Airstream I had to reset the hitch and it looked good. I had many miles towing with it until one day I felt a tiny bit of sway coming down a slight hill. I had some kind of P rated tire and read that weak sidewalls will create sway. I was due for new tires and moved up to LT tires and it made a lot of difference. So, trailer AND truck tires might be issue.

I'm sure the tires are of the P metric variety. the truck is a lease vehicle so changing the truck tires will probably not happen. The camper is definitely in need of tires so hopefully i can get those before the next trip in 2 weeks. monetarily though, that is the hold back.

jotityra
Explorer
Explorer
aftermath wrote:
At five years out your original tires need to be replaced anyway. I had a Starcraft hybrid that wasn't nearly as heavy as your trailer. It came with C rated tires and I had a blowout soon after getting it. It met load ratings, but just barely. You need tires that will cover your trailer load and then some. I now have LRE tires (on a different trailer, 6500 lbs going down the road) and am very happy with them. They will carry up to 80PSI and have a speed rating of 75 or 80 MPH I believe. I run 70PSI and keep my speed as close to 65 as I can. Your plan to look at the new Goodyear is a good one. How much does your trailer weigh? Don't be afraid to move up to a LRE. You won't be putting "rocks" under your trailer.
Get the new tires, tweak your hitch some more and you will be good to go.

yes these tires have to be the biggest part of the problem. I can push on the back end of the trailer and you can just watch the tires squish side to side and up and down. kinda like Jello. I have not had the trailer weighed even though I know that is important. I have been guessing it weighs about the same as my old trailer loaded. which was 6500lbs. I am on vacation this week so I should take it up to the gravel pit and get it on the scales. but the tires definitely need to be replaced.

jotityra
Explorer
Explorer
wclement1248 wrote:
I had sway problems with my F250/TT with sway bars. i tried turning off the sway control function in the truck. apparently sway bars and sway control work against each other. Might work for you

I did that on my RAM and I could not tell the difference. I did that on the new f150 and it was worse! I had to pull of on an exit and turn it back on because Ford wont let you change settings while the vehicle is moving. which is ridiculous.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
MarkTwain wrote:

I would start with switching to a 16" rim if it will fit and "G" rated tires.

This is horrible advise, completely unnecessary โ€œupgradeโ€ and just generally wrong.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

kenbert
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same problem when I had my 30ft Trailer, a trucker I met told me to crack open a window on either side of the trailer to equalize pressure. It worked and the problem was solved.
95 Georgie Boy Encounter 37ft 5.9 cummins DP
01 Saturn SW

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
joytitra, just read through your thread again. I still say you need new trailer tires but another good point was raised. What truck tire do you have? I purchased a new tundra in 2008 and pulled my hybrid with it. When I got my Airstream I had to reset the hitch and it looked good. I had many miles towing with it until one day I felt a tiny bit of sway coming down a slight hill. I had some kind of P rated tire and read that weak sidewalls will create sway. I was due for new tires and moved up to LT tires and it made a lot of difference. So, trailer AND truck tires might be issue.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
At five years out your original tires need to be replaced anyway. I had a Starcraft hybrid that wasn't nearly as heavy as your trailer. It came with C rated tires and I had a blowout soon after getting it. It met load ratings, but just barely. You need tires that will cover your trailer load and then some. I now have LRE tires (on a different trailer, 6500 lbs going down the road) and am very happy with them. They will carry up to 80PSI and have a speed rating of 75 or 80 MPH I believe. I run 70PSI and keep my speed as close to 65 as I can. Your plan to look at the new Goodyear is a good one. How much does your trailer weigh? Don't be afraid to move up to a LRE. You won't be putting "rocks" under your trailer.
Get the new tires, tweak your hitch some more and you will be good to go.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Add tongue weight and tow it again.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL