Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Trailer sway
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Trailer sway

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
jotityra

michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/20 06:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

eHoefler wrote:

I would reverify you have your hitch setup correctly, since you have switched tow vehicles.

I spent a good day measuring and towing and repositioning the height and I'm confident it is setup good. It looks good in the photo I think. I just don't remember my old rig, in 2004, giving me as much sway. It seemed to tow pretty straight. From what I remember anyway.

2015 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH. Towing with a 2020 F150 supercrew 4x4 with a 5.0L V8 and 3.55 rear end

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/15/20 09:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tire pressures all around definitely affect sway. Trailer tires, truck rear tires, truck front tires, all must be inflated enough to carry the load. If any pair is under inflated, you will get "directional instability."

Probably the most important are the truck's rear tires. Second most important are trailer tires.

Pickup trucks empty are light in the back. Fully loaded, they are heavy in the back, and the tire pressures have to be adjusted to compensate. If you are attempting to tow a heavy trailer with the same rear tire pressures you run normally when empty, you all but guarantee sway.

The importance of tire pressures was brought home to me years ago when some friends and I went out to get some firewood in his 15 passenger van. We loaded up about half a van full, and set out for home. I was driving, and I needed every inch of the two lane highway, it was wandering so badly. I asked the owner what pressures he was running, and he didn't know. In the years he'd owned the van, he had NEVER checked the tire pressures.

We stopped at the first gas station I saw, and I discovered his tires were all in the low 20s. They were all way overloaded even when the van was empty, let alone loaded with firewood. Pumped 'em all up where they should have been, and the rest of the way home was perfectly stable. The difference was impressive to say the least.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/15/20 11:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jotityra wrote:

This style of hitch does not have chains, the sway control is like a brake shoe around the place where the bars go into the hitch.

The first picture looked like it had chains hanging down but connected to nothing.

So did you weigh the rig? When you talk about water full and where you store stuff...that's just a wild guess if you have the weight distributed correctly. Swing by a CAT scale and see what you really have going on is a good first step.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/20 06:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tire pressure critical! I run 110lbs. with my 16in rims and "G" tires! The correct tire pressure is located on the side of the tire.

Rover_Bill

NE. Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/15/20 11:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jotityra wrote:

cavie wrote:

Just add a sway bar to your hitch. Chain hung bars do not provide sway control.

This style of hitch does not have chains, the sway control is like a brake shoe around the place where the bars go into the hitch.

The ReCurve R3 hitch uses a brake shoe type system for sway control. The pictured hitch is a ReCurve R6 which uses spring loaded bearings.

Turn the hitch over and check the leaf springs under each bearing. If one or more springs are broken, contact Camco [email protected] for a replacement (it may be free under warranty).

[image]
[image]Click For Full-Size Image.

If the springs are not broken, did you engage the sway control cams?

2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40

wclement1248

Galveston, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/16/20 11:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had sway problems with my F250/TT with sway bars. i tried turning off the sway control function in the truck. apparently sway bars and sway control work against each other. Might work for you

coolbreeze01

Redding, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/20 09:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Add tongue weight and tow it again.

2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

aftermath

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/20 10:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At five years out your original tires need to be replaced anyway. I had a Starcraft hybrid that wasn't nearly as heavy as your trailer. It came with C rated tires and I had a blowout soon after getting it. It met load ratings, but just barely. You need tires that will cover your trailer load and then some. I now have LRE tires (on a different trailer, 6500 lbs going down the road) and am very happy with them. They will carry up to 80PSI and have a speed rating of 75 or 80 MPH I believe. I run 70PSI and keep my speed as close to 65 as I can. Your plan to look at the new Goodyear is a good one. How much does your trailer weigh? Don't be afraid to move up to a LRE. You won't be putting "rocks" under your trailer.
Get the new tires, tweak your hitch some more and you will be good to go.

2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

aftermath

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/20 10:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

joytitra, just read through your thread again. I still say you need new trailer tires but another good point was raised. What truck tire do you have? I purchased a new tundra in 2008 and pulled my hybrid with it. When I got my Airstream I had to reset the hitch and it looked good. I had many miles towing with it until one day I felt a tiny bit of sway coming down a slight hill. I had some kind of P rated tire and read that weak sidewalls will create sway. I was due for new tires and moved up to LT tires and it made a lot of difference. So, trailer AND truck tires might be issue.

kenbert

Long Island,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/20 10:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had the same problem when I had my 30ft Trailer, a trucker I met told me to crack open a window on either side of the trailer to equalize pressure. It worked and the problem was solved.

95 Georgie Boy Encounter 37ft 5.9 cummins DP
01 Saturn SW

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Trailer sway
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.