Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Electric vehicle mandate in California
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Electric vehicle mandate in California

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 16  
Prev  |  Next
ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/20 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Green energy will continue to expand in the form of solar and wind power mostly. It will make electricity more available and cheaper as more electric vehicles come on line.

The US passed peak energy demand a couple of years ago. Now the president wants to repeal the rules used to achieve this goal by going back to less efficient incandescent lights and appliances.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/15/20 09:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colliehauler wrote:

Do you think requiring electric vehicles is putting the cart before the horse in not having a updated power grid to handle the increased demand of charging electric vehicles?
No. Grid updates are in process and can be accelerated.

EVs will have less effect than you think. Air conditioning in extreme heat is the real issue right now. Should CA mandate no more air conditioners?

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/20 09:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

More EV use may not strain the grid more. Rolling blackouts are due to excessive peak demand. Programmable EV charging strategy can level peak grid demands, and can even feed the grid during extreme peaks, while also enable the use of cheaper, non-peaking-plant power by using more power during the low-demand times. CA's power problem isn't total production capacity. It's "The Duck Curve" coupled with decades of deferred maintenance on the distribution.

That said.... I'd rather see better incentives, instead of mandates...

Bryan

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

rjstractor

Maple Valley, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/20 09:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mich800 wrote:

colliehauler wrote:

California has a mandate for electric vehicles in the future. Just read with the extreme heat PG&E will have rolling blackouts because of power shortage. Noticed this in previous years as well.

Do you think requiring electric vehicles is putting the cart before the horse in not having a updated power grid to handle the increased demand of charging electric vehicles?

I think mandating any type of technology is dangerous. It stifles development of competing and perhaps better technologies. Requiring a maximum emission output is one thing. Stating how you "must" get there seems illogical.

This was a little different situation, but an example of how a "blind squirrel can find a nut". Several years ago the Port of Seattle (operators of SeaTac Airport) mandated that taxi operators servicing the airport start switching their fleet to hybrid vehicles to reduce emissions. Up until then nearly all of the taxi operators used worn out police cars as taxis because they could buy them for practically nothing. Well, after switching to the Prius, the taxi operators discovered that they were saving about $500 a month per taxi, since the old junk Crown Vics used four times as much gas and constantly needed repairs. Today you can't throw a rock without hitting a Prius taxi. Thanks to that overreaching government mandate, the cab operators are now making more money. This was definitely the exception and not the rule, but I thought it an interesting example.

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/20 10:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I love charging my plug-in-Prius for FREE. I hate PG&E and their high-handed ways to extract more money from their customers. For OVER 50 years they did ZERO maintenance while handing out multi-million dollar bonuses to management.
I moved to the area where I am now. I have not paid PG&E a dime since I moved here. They actually owe me over $400. I sized my solar correctly, to be able to have free electricity for the remainder of my life....while everyone around me pays their ever increasing electric costs.
As for the mandate? It's going to rid us of the exhaust fumes that pollute the air we breathe....no matter what you think. Half the cars up here are EV, hybrid or PHEV.

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/20 10:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There has been a Kenworth T660 with a Toyota fuel cell propulsion system carrying containers out of the Port of Long Beach for a few years now. Fuel it with H and it emits distilled water.

Now that technology is developing on board H generators or home installed ones that re-stock the H tank using grid electricity when parked. Which can way lessen the need for a H distribution system.

LanceRKeys

Amarillo, TX

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/20 11:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think we need to flatten the demand curve....

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/20 12:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jdc1 wrote:

I love charging my plug-in-Prius for FREE. I hate PG&E and their high-handed ways to extract more money from their customers. For OVER 50 years they did ZERO maintenance while handing out multi-million dollar bonuses to management.
I moved to the area where I am now. I have not paid PG&E a dime since I moved here. They actually owe me over $400. I sized my solar correctly, to be able to have free electricity for the remainder of my life....while everyone around me pays their ever increasing electric costs.
As for the mandate? It's going to rid us of the exhaust fumes that pollute the air we breathe....no matter what you think. Half the cars up here are EV, hybrid or PHEV.
You mean all those solar cells, wiring, storage batteries, electronics, etc. were all free of cost? You're charging at no additional cost perhaps, but ain't nothin' free.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/20 12:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are a lot of Tesla power wall and solar users who are less concerned right now. [emoticon].

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/20 12:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Years ago we went to LA and our eyes watered and harder to see while driving on the freeway. Did everyone notice how clear the air was several monthes ago with limited driving. While I prefer that technology advance on it's own there are other considerations and resistance to change. Where to draw the line?

Yes I've done my share of complaining about the costs of improvements.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 16  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Electric vehicle mandate in California
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.