Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: 50 amp cord storage ideas?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> 50 amp cord storage ideas?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
bulldozermanmc

Leitchfield KY

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/20 07:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interested in knowing how you store your 50 amp cord? My fiver has a detachable cord, and right now I roll it up and put it in basement while traveling. Wondering if there is any better ideas that might make storage and use, easier than just having to drag it out and each time. I also travel with a 50 amp extension since a lot of places my cord isn't long enough to reach electric service. Thanks for the ideas!

corvettekent

Marysville, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/15/20 07:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just roll mine up and put it in the rear compartment. I have seen people put them in a 5 gallon bucket.

2007.5 GMC Dually EC/LB, LMM. Banks IQ, Speed Brake, Six Gun. B&W Turnover Ball, Companion Hitch, Amp power steps. Hadley Air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT and four 6 volt batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/20 08:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine is also rolled up and placed in the basement, street side. That is the first place I go anyway to get power cord, water hoses, sat coax, etc when setting up at a new site. And when disconnecting to leave. My 50 amp extension cord is rolled up and placed in a round plastic laundry basket in the front compartment as I have rarely had to use it.

I also have a 30 amp cord with a 50 amp twist connector on the trailer end that I use at 30 amp only RV sites. Much easier than dragging out, and putting back, the heavy 50 amp cord and 50/30 adapter, especially in cold weather when it is also stiff.

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/15/20 09:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

50 amp cords can be stiff in the cold weather, mine is tightly coiled and is not removable so it stays in the genset outlet(no transfer switch) I dry camp most of the time but when I do hook up I keep the coils in place when hooked up then recoil the same way. Coils are 10-12 ins in dia.

BrooksFam

Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/15/20 09:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Electrical cords are a pain like ropes and hoses. A cord real would be a good solution if you have (and want to use) the room it takes up

2004 Monaco Monarch
GM, 496 Gas
Miss B Haven
See Profile for Picture

Itakethe5th2011

Moreno Valley, Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/15/20 09:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

50amp cords are heavy and coiling it can be difficult, plus it takes up a lot of space when laid inside storage compartment. I purchased a Morryde Reel56-001H easy reel cord spooler. It's about $154 on Amazon, but well worth the price. It is tall and some what narrow, so I still have more space to store things. It makes hooking up power cable so much easier. I just pull the cord off the reel and drag 1 end over to power box. When putting away, I keep a rag in 1 hand to clean cord as I roll it up.

CarnationSailor

Carnation,WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/15/20 09:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used to struggle to get my 50-amp cord in and out of my basement storage. (Leaning in and lifting the whole coiled cord was hard on my back.) Then I bought one of these:

Easy Reel Spooler

So much easier now.

2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/20 10:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I store my 50 Amp cord in a laundry basket, along with the various adapters that I have along. I unroll only what I need and store the rest of it in the basket under the trailer, out of the rain. KISS.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/20 12:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cord reel. In the last rig it was stored in a figure 8. Takes more space but doesn't twist like a coil. My extra cords are stored in a container in a coil which allows for better space management. They are there when I need them.

On occasion we'll park the MH backwards in a site for the view. I have cords and hoses just in case.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

bob_nestor

murphy

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/20 01:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gjac wrote:

50 amp cords can be stiff in the cold weather, mine is tightly coiled and is not removable so it stays in the genset outlet(no transfer switch) I dry camp most of the time but when I do hook up I keep the coils in place when hooked up then recoil the same way. Coils are 10-12 ins in dia.

They do make extreme cold weather electric cords that remain very flexible even in temps as low as -40. The Oil Industry uses them in Arctic operations. They are expensive, but can be found.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> 50 amp cord storage ideas?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.