Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Pin Box with Air
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Pin Box with Air

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/16/20 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rob,

I too have the B&W Patriot along w/ the 5th AirBourne pin box. I, like others, air it up and don't touch it for rest of season except to top off once in awhile. Like others as well, I make sure there is some weight going onto the B&W (doesn't need to be a lot) when hooking up and never have had a problem. When unhooking, I raise the 5th just so it comes off the B&W, release handle and pull away.

BTW, those some darn good "crude" drawings!!!

AC

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/16/20 08:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ACZL wrote:

Rob,

I too have the B&W Patriot along w/ the 5th AirBourne pin box. I, like others, air it up and don't touch it for rest of season except to top off once in awhile. Like others as well, I make sure there is some weight going onto the B&W (doesn't need to be a lot) when hooking up and never have had a problem. When unhooking, I raise the 5th just so it comes off the B&W, release handle and pull away.

BTW, those some darn good "crude" drawings!!!

AC

Thanks for the compliment. All the credit goes to the computer drawing program I used. How was your vacation?

2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

You can't put a porcupine in a barn, set it on fire, and expect to make licorice.

C Schomer

Pueblo West, Co.

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/20 05:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the same thing as the OP and by the time the pin is into the hitch far enough to close the jaws, the plates are pressed together, parallel. This summer I started plugging in the cord while hitching and unhitching and manually holding the trailer brakes, so not to slide the rv off the leveling blocks and that makes jaw closing very positive and no worries about pressure in the hitch bag. 80 psi keeps my hitch plates horizontal, traveling. Craig

2012 Dodge dually diesel. CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WHOEVER INVENTED WORK DIDN'T HAVE AN RV!

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/16/20 06:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

C Schomer wrote:

I have the same thing as the OP and by the time the pin is into the hitch far enough to close the jaws, the plates are pressed together, parallel. This summer I started plugging in the cord while hitching and unhitching and manually holding the trailer brakes, so not to slide the rv off the leveling blocks and that makes jaw closing very positive and no worries about pressure in the hitch bag. 80 psi keeps my hitch plates horizontal, traveling. Craig

That's good to know Craig. I've never plugged in before hitching up so if I continue having issues, I'll give that a try.

RCMAN46

NorthWest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/16/20 06:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RobWNY wrote:

C Schomer wrote:

That's good to know Craig. I've never plugged in before hitching up so if I continue having issues, I'll give that a try.

If you leave your chocks in place there should not be a need to use the trailer brakes.
Also should have chocks in place when doing the tug test and before unhitching.

The standard electric trailer brakes will not be active until a tire rotates about 1/4 turn.

larry barnhart

wenatchee. wa usa

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/20 01:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just removed our airhitch from our truck and it was heavy. Rails were hard to remove also but an awesome experience having it and the air pin is also great.

chevman

chevman
2021 Jayco Hawk 28RL
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Pin Box with Air
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.