cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dodge RAM payload

Sarah8
Explorer
Explorer
We currently tow our travel trailer with a Nissan Armada. Thinking of getting a little bigger trailer, we decided to get a truck. Decided on a Dodge RAM Limited today until I noticed the payload was only 1358#s. My Armada has more payload than that. Our trailer will probably be around 7000#s. With our teenagers, dog and tongue weight we will be right at payload capacity. Do we go with the RAM knowing that the extra tow capacity and longer wheel base will make stability and towing easier? Both my brother in laws tow with a RAM and really like it. However they are probably over their payload capacity. Does anyone have a truck they recommend?
43 REPLIES 43

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
noteven and afidel, you both need to go do some research on Pickup trucks before putting your (incorrect) theories into the written word.

Grit youโ€™re right.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Although "Most" half tons have lower payload ratings than "Most" 3/4 ton models, that is not always the case. My plain jane F-150 has 2,315 pound of payload while some diesel 3/4 tons have less than 2,000 pounds. Read the stickers and not our comments. You will be a lot smarter.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sarah8 wrote:
The most I have seen is 1616 but I am looking at nicer trim levels.

Half ton trucks have a lower GVWR than 3/4 or 1 tons.
Higher trim levels are heavier.

If you insist on a half ton truck and high trim level, you will keep finding low payload ratings. Either look for a max payload Ecoboost F150 with a higher GVWR or buy a 3/4 ton. This argument that 3/4 ton trucks can't be daily drivers is simply foolish. There is no reason they can't, other than you refusing to accept it. Yes, you won't get as good fuel mileage, but you will also get a truck that is built much heavier and will last longer and carry a residual value better.

Either change your parameters or accept the obvious limitations to your search. โ€œInsanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results".
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Sarah8 wrote:
Well, we have been to a lot of dealers. We are still comparing fords and RAMs. So disappointed in the salesman. Most tell me that I donโ€™t have to count my tongue weight. Ugh. I know I will need to put about 1500 lbs in the truck or on the hitch. So the first thing I am doing is opening the drivers side door and looking at the number on the sticker that says the max weight for all cargo and occupants. Thatโ€™s the specific payload for that truck right? I find they range between 1300 and 1600. The most I have seen is 1616 but I am looking at nicer trim levels.

Sure is looking like you oughta be looking at 2500s.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
TurnThePage wrote:
noteven wrote:
Does the factory GVWR, axle weight ratings, and payload change at all depending on what wheel and tire is selected on the order?
Not for Ram 1500s. They have a standard lowest common denominator methodology. However, I have seen their numbers magically increase by a couple hundred pounds to accommodate a longer wheelbase that happens to weigh about 200 lbs more, with the exact same components underneath.

I wonder if that is because the moment arm (I hope I am using that term right, I am not an engineer) of the engine weight increases the effect of the engine's weight in the front counterbalancing other forces in the rear around the pivot point of the front axle.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
noteven wrote:
Does the factory GVWR, axle weight ratings, and payload change at all depending on what wheel and tire is selected on the order?

That would require a heap of research.
A truck mfg may choose any GVWR/GAWRS he wants for a specific overall package.
Keep in mind a fawr/rawr can be the lessor of a tire/wheel/brakes/rear spring pack or the axle assy.....I would say for that reason just adding a higher capacity tire and wheel won't change a gvwr or a gawr in all cases.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
noteven wrote:
Not for Ram 1500s. They have a standard lowest common denominator methodology. However, I have seen their numbers magically increase by a couple hundred pounds to accommodate a longer wheelbase that happens to weigh about 200 lbs more, with the exact same components underneath.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Sarah8
Explorer
Explorer
Well, we have been to a lot of dealers. We are still comparing fords and RAMs. So disappointed in the salesman. Most tell me that I donโ€™t have to count my tongue weight. Ugh. I know I will need to put about 1500 lbs in the truck or on the hitch. So the first thing I am doing is opening the drivers side door and looking at the number on the sticker that says the max weight for all cargo and occupants. Thatโ€™s the specific payload for that truck right? I find they range between 1300 and 1600. The most I have seen is 1616 but I am looking at nicer trim levels.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Those payload stickers are a gvwr based payload that comes from weighing the trucks front and rear axle. In many cases its unsafe to use that number to figure how much load in the bed such as hitch weight, or a truck camper, a truck can carry.
Ford advertises a 3000+lb lb payload for a F150HDPP. Add much over 2500 lbs in the bed and the rawr is overloaded.

Same with some 3/4 ton trucks with 6000-6500 rawr. About 3200-3300 lbs in the bed is about all these trucks can carry.

One ton SRW trucks have 7000-7200 rawr and most can carry around 3600-3800 lbs (some are heavier) in the bed.

Now anyone that has been to the 4th grade can see those payload stickers are not safe for all LDTs.

Stay under the truck rawr (tire/wheel/rear suspension) number for a safe tow.

Those LDTs we see every day on our roads pulling some type of trailer making a living don't use the trucks gvwr based payload sticker numbers. Guess all 3.5 million of them some how are unsafe :R.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
TurnThePage wrote:
Bobbo wrote:
Sarah8 wrote:
No one mentioned GMC. More importantly, I feel as if many people do not follow their payload capacity.

GMC is just a Chevy with nicer bling.

People do not follow their payload capacity. They know what they want and will go to extraordinary lengths to rationalize exceeding the limits. You'll see people talk about "cushions" in the numbers, or "soft numbers", or "the numbers that REALLY matter." Anything to make themselves feel better about exceeding safety limits.
Safety?

Yes. Not overloading the vehicle and having a catastrophic failure is a safety issue.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"More importantly, I feel as if many people do not follow their payload capacity. Am I giving up the truck I want for not a strong enough reason?"

So if enough people jump off a cliff, it is ok for you to do? Overload your truck, hit me and my attorney will take most of what you have.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
noteven and afidel, you both need to go do some research on Pickup trucks before putting your (incorrect) theories into the written word.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Bobbo wrote:
Sarah8 wrote:
No one mentioned GMC. More importantly, I feel as if many people do not follow their payload capacity.

GMC is just a Chevy with nicer bling.

1960, 1970 and 1980 all just called and they want their (incorrect) statement back!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold