Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Dodge RAM payload
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Dodge RAM payload

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/20 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP, real world you have conservatively about a 2000lb payload based on the axle. (Everything else is stronger or easily upgradeable).
Use that as you baseline for figuring your weights.
And talk to you BILs. The weight ninnies here will have you in a dually to pull a pop up before the thread is over!

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/16/20 11:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A GMC (or Chevy) would normally have more payload than a RAM. You would have to look on the door sticker of the individual truck to know for sure. A 2500 GM truck will probably have the nicest ride and most car like handling. GM uses an independent front suspension on their 2500 and 3500 trucks where Ford and Dodge use a solid front axle. The IFS makes for a much better ride.
Go drive a 4 door short bed 2500 and see how you like it. It doesn't cost anything to drive one. If you really want to keep with an SUV you could look for a 2500 Suburban; their payload is in the 2,000 pound range. They stopped making them after 2013 so you would be looking at an older vehicle by now. I really like my 2009 2500 Suburban. I can put 9 people in it with 3 on each row. That load, along with coolers and gear in the back and then 6,500 pounds of boat and trailer is no problem for it.

TurnThePage

North ID

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/20 11:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When you look at the specs of the individual components of the Ram 1500s you will see that there is a lot of cushion built into the payload. I believe most of it is to keep that awesome soft ride. Overloading by 500 lbs won't overload any individual components that I'm aware of.

I would consider stiffening it up though. Possibly better tires. There's many suspension upgrades available for the non-air ride Rams. The air-ride likely won't need upgrades.

I agree that you should get more truck, but you could make the 1500 work. A basic Laramie has plenty of bells and whistles while still typically having a couple hundred pounds of more payload than the Limited. JMHO

2015 Ram 1500
2004 Pioneer 18T6

djsamuel

Central Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/16/20 01:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Make sure you verify that payload. Also, check the options since something is eating it up. Other models of the 1500 should have more payload. My 2009 Ram 1500 which is of similar coil spring suspension has a payload of 1725 pounds and has towed my camper all over the country with no problem. Great truck.

Use this for more Ram info:

Ram Towing Guide Click Here

Picture of Our Trailer

Camplite 21BHS

rjstractor

Maple Valley, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/20 02:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To the OP, you mentioned in your post that the main reason you were looking for a truck to replace your Armada was because you want a bigger trailer. As you've probably realized, the capability of a 150/1500 pickup is only incrementally better than your Armada. It sounds like you still would prefer an SUV. The Ford Expedition EL with the HD towing package offers similar payload and towing to most (but not all) pickups in the 150/1500 segment and arguably the best-performing towing engine in the segment.

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/16/20 09:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sarah8 wrote:

No one mentioned GMC. More importantly, I feel as if many people do not follow their payload capacity.

GMC is just a Chevy with nicer bling.

People do not follow their payload capacity. They know what they want and will go to extraordinary lengths to rationalize exceeding the limits. You'll see people talk about "cushions" in the numbers, or "soft numbers", or "the numbers that REALLY matter." Anything to make themselves feel better about exceeding safety limits.

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/20 07:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A seldom discussed aspect of GVW and therefore payload capacity calculations is the vehicle final drive gearing and cooling capacity.

Light duty and passenger vehicles are geared to deliver good EPA mileage numbers at 75mph on the I roads. 20 inch rims, axle gears for the salt flats, 2 and 3 overdrive ratios, fluffy shift management, quiet fans etc.

Just because the rear axle won't break in half doesn't mean the vehicle will be comfortable towing a barn door up a grade at 100F in a cross wind...

Do "1/2 tons" come with 4.10 or 4.56 rear axle ratios?

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/20 08:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

noteven wrote:

A seldom discussed aspect of GVW and therefore payload capacity calculations is the vehicle final drive gearing and cooling capacity.

Light duty and passenger vehicles are geared to deliver good EPA mileage numbers at 75mph on the I roads. 20 inch rims, axle gears for the salt flats, 2 and 3 overdrive ratios, fluffy shift management, quiet fans etc.

Just because the rear axle won't break in half doesn't mean the vehicle will be comfortable towing a barn door up a grade at 100F in a cross wind...

Do "1/2 tons" come with 4.10 or 4.56 rear axle ratios?

No, and rarely do 3/4 tons anymore, compare the first 4 final gear ratios of a modern 6 speed with a 3.43 rear end to a 4 speed with a 4.10 rear end, in most cases the 6 speed will have a greater final ratio. Now realize that a 6 speed is the old tech on the way out and most trucks are coming with a 8 or 10 speed. Basically if you don't get the lowest available rear end you'll be fine.

As far as cooling, I think every brand now has a tranny cooler as standard equipment, and an extra radiator as part of the heavy duty trailering package. Heck, my Grand Caravan came with a tranny cooler as standard equipment and it's only rated to tow 3,600 pounds.

*edit*
Just to prove how lopsided it is, I did a cars.com search for F350s within 250 miles of my house, 3.73 292 available, 4.3 6 available. The diesel 350 SRW doesn't even have 4.10 or 4.30 as an option, Ford's engineers must have concluded 23k pounds doesn't need it, meaning 99.99% of trailers don't.

* This post was edited 08/17/20 01:12pm by afidel *

2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 long bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

TurnThePage

North ID

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/20 08:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bobbo wrote:

Sarah8 wrote:

No one mentioned GMC. More importantly, I feel as if many people do not follow their payload capacity.

GMC is just a Chevy with nicer bling.

People do not follow their payload capacity. They know what they want and will go to extraordinary lengths to rationalize exceeding the limits. You'll see people talk about "cushions" in the numbers, or "soft numbers", or "the numbers that REALLY matter." Anything to make themselves feel better about exceeding safety limits.
Safety?

Hanzerik

Wyoming

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/20 10:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

guidry wrote:

Most RV'rs upgrade after every few years so you may want to look for a truck for the future. When I was pulling a 27' TT I pulled it with a Tundra and felt sway every time a big rig passed me. My buddy suggested getting a diesel so I got a 3500 because the price difference between a 3/4 and one ton was minimal. So glad I did because I didn't need to upgrade the truck when I got a 5th wheel and TC. Just something to think about. You won't regret getting more truck than you need.

That's what I did. Had an 2007 Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi that pulled a travel trailer ok. When I started looking for a new truck, I figured eventually I'll get a 5rh Wheel trailer. So I had the dealer order me a truck: 2017 Ram 3500 8' Bed, 4x4, 6spd Manual, 6.7L turbo diesel. Big difference in capabilities when it comes to cargo and towing capacity.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Dodge RAM payload
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.