cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What to use to level trailer while parked

Curly2001
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at a quick trip to see some family soon. Have a 5th wheel that runs a couple of inches high in the front so if we pull over for the night and don't want to unhook, we need to level the trailer in the rear a few inches. Any suggestions on what to use? Thinking of either getting boards or the plastic blocks.
Thanks,
Curly
2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK
33 REPLIES 33

riltri
Explorer
Explorer
1/2" treated plywood cut to 10" x 48". I carry 4 pcs in the truck bed. Also cut 4 pcs 12" x 12" for the front jacks. I found that 2x8s were often too thick under the tires.
Blue Ridge Mtns - NC

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Various thicknesses of plywood 1/4" thru 1 1/8" all cut to 12" x 12". Will NOT crack.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Bowti
Explorer
Explorer
I carry both the plastic and 2"x8"x4+'boards along with some plywood of varied thickness. After 7 years, I have yet to use the plastic blocks. Wood is faster to set up, and easier to clean, and works better on varied surfaces. We find most sites are fairly level these days. My plastic blocks are now taking up room on the shelf in the garage.
2013 Keystone Cougar 28SGS Xlite
Shipping weight 7561 lbs
Carrying capacity 2439 lbs
Hitch Pin 1410 lbs
2008 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4X4 Crew Cab
Reese 16K Round Tube Slider
Custom 3 Receiver Hitch Scooter Carrier
2013 Honda PCX Scooter on the Carrier

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
rhagfo wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Boards under ALL 4 wheels......course one side may need more then other due to side to side levelness

Sheesh!

Just unhitch and level front to rear. takes just a few minutes and no relocating of trailer back/forth to get all 4 wheels up on boards

WHY go thru all of that just for an overnighter??!!

Simple.

Are you becoming Cranky Old Biscuit?:B

I tow level, and in a parking lot unhitching might get you a knock on the door at 2:00 am!

You TOW LEVEL so no need to unhitch especially in a parking lot
I TOW LEVEL and do NOT need to unhitch for overnight stays

OP is NOT Towing Level----NOSE HIGH so instead of all the boards/blocks---4 tires etc
So easier to just unhitch....one only needs to move truck forward enough to lower pin box so it would appear to be still hitched in a parking lot

Cranky....not really just looking for SIMPLE
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
We truck camped back in the late '60s and '70s on the many large COE lakes in NE OK...NW AR...SW MO....SE Kansas. Back then camp grounds were a trail winding around a hill side and down closer to the water with picnic tables scattered around. No camp sites. We carried shovels to dig down one side and lots of wood to ramp up the other. Same with front to rear. I still carry lots of wood boards...1" plywood X 1' square. I also carry two 3.5" X 8" X 36" long cedar garage door header boards with one end angled off with a chain saw. Their lite and easy to set behind the trailers wheels and back up on them. If its too much I have a couple of 2" X 6" X 36" long treated to use sometimes just under one axle or one tire to get level.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
bpounds wrote:
Good for quick getaways too. Like if someone is shooting at you. Don't even need to pickup the blocks. :B

I prefer to have TV loose. My lifestyle now is unlikely to get somebody shooting at me, but when it did happen, I left with jeans in 1 hand boots in the other. Later I came back for the Harley. Can't even imagine wanting to drag the house.
But I have loaded family into TV to hurry to a storm shelter on the other side of CG.

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
Good for quick getaways too. Like if someone is shooting at you. Don't even need to pickup the blocks. :B
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Boards under ALL 4 wheels......course one side may need more then other due to side to side levelness

Sheesh!

Just unhitch and level front to rear. takes just a few minutes and no relocating of trailer back/forth to get all 4 wheels up on boards

Simple.

Are you becoming Cranky Old Biscuit?:B

I tow level, and in a parking lot unhitching might get you a knock on the door at 2:00 am!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
Old-Biscuit wrote:
IS that for side to side leveling
OR
Front to Rear Leveling

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Me?

I use it for side to side. I tow level, so rarely ever any need to use them that way, but I have maybe once when I parked in a lot with just a little slope. Normally I would do exactly what you said, pull the pin and drive forward a foot, then just level with the landing gear. But, cannot do that if stealing 40 winks in a parking lot.
2006 F250 Diesel

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
IS that for side to side leveling
OR
Front to Rear Leveling

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
2006 F250 Diesel

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II

Sheesh!

Simple.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
My son really likes the Anderson levelers. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Andersen-Manufacturing-Camper-Leveler-3604/136232245?wmlspartner=wlpa&sel...
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Curly2001
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the suggestions all. I really appreciate it!
Curly
2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK