cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

use generator/inverter to charge batteries and power trailer

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
I am an electrical dummy, and I need some help with this one.

I realize that when plugged in at an rv site, my on board inverter (converter?) will charge my batteries. This year we have been boon docking quite a bit, and have been using our 2000W generator/inverter to run a few 120V things like a blender or hair dryer.

My question....... when I have the generator hooked up and running to power the little stuff, should I hook up the batteries as well to charge them, or does it make any difference at all? I also carry a 12V separate charger which I can plug in to the generator and charge the batteries.

My feeling is that the inverter on my generator might be better than the onboard unit.

Thanks for your help.
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)
22 REPLIES 22

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
Direct is good. I hate to guess. ๐Ÿ™‚

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
ssthrd wrote:
Cord is toast. Thanks for the advice. It started out as a quick fix and ended up as โ€œnormalโ€. I promise to be good from now on.

Great!
Would you believe that one of my titles at work is that of "Safety Coordinator?"

Most of the time it entails a lot of paperwork/computerwork, and persuading nicely of better ways to work safe.... Once in awhile though, something really dangerous is sighted by my radar, and I need to be VERY direct in order to get my point across quickly.

This was one of those times.

Often, this direct approach is initially met with anger/denial, but later turns into appreciation.

Glad you took it well.

Be safe out there.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
Cord is toast. Thanks for the advice. It started out as a quick fix and ended up as โ€œnormalโ€. I promise to be good from now on.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
ssthrd wrote:
This might sound dumb, but......

I don't have an adaptor to go from 110 at the generator to the 30 amp connection at the trailer, so I changed the female end on an extension chord to male and just plug it into the gfci socket on the outside of the trailer. Does the trailer know that power is not coming from the shore power line or not, and does the converter care at all?

What you have done is made what is called a "suicide cord" A very bad idea. Destroy it before someone gets hurt.

Do not fool around with electricity. Standard types of plugs, cables, etc. are made for a reason.... To keep everyone safe. Do not "invent" a different way of doing it.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
ssthrd wrote:

I don't have an adaptor to go from 110 at the generator to the 30 amp connection at the trailer, so I changed the female end on an extension chord to male and just plug it into the gfci socket on the outside of the trailer. Does the trailer know that power is not coming from the shore power line or not, and does the converter care at all?
Please throw that cord in the trash.
aka suicide cord or deadman's cord.

Amazon has the adapter you need.

Amazon

Walmart should have one also.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
ssthrd wrote:

I do have 260 watts of solar, but I am in a bad spot for solar right now in the bush. I end up running the generator for a couple of hours a day. I was thinking that charging the battery at the same time with the inverter would be helpful, but from what I read, it probably doesn't matter. Looks like the onboard system might be better in any case.

The batteries are 2x 6 volt T105 Trojans. My issue might be that the batteries are getting weak. After charging for a couple of hours, I can get them to 80% or so every day, but just charging my iPhone, and nothing much else, the level falls to below 65%. My hydrometer shows weak batteries in all cells......

What you are seeing is called "progressive capacity loss". Get to a shore power connection and do a full charge followed by an equalization charge.

It is best to recharge to 100% as often as humanly possible--but certainly it needs to be done at least every 9 cycles.

Doing it on the generator may be more expensive than getting to reliable shore power. Freecampsites.net has a filter that allows you to select camprounds that have power. Some of them are even free.

https://freecampsites.net/
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
ssthrd wrote:

No, but what you are doing is not advisable.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Add a little bit of solar and the generator runs may be fewer. The battery bank will show you some love by lasting a lot longer.

I do have 260 watts of solar, but I am in a bad spot for solar right now in the bush. I end up running the generator for a couple of hours a day. I was thinking that charging the battery at the same time with the inverter would be helpful, but from what I read, it probably doesn't matter. Looks like the onboard system might be better in any case.

The batteries are 2x 6 volt T105 Trojans. My issue might be that the batteries are getting weak. After charging for a couple of hours, I can get them to 80% or so every day, but just charging my iPhone, and nothing much else, the level falls to below 65%. My hydrometer shows weak batteries in all cells......

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Assuming you are running the generator for an hour or two anyway to cover high demand loads...just plug into the generator and call it good.

The trailer doesn't know if it's connected to a pedestal or the generator.

The "converter" which is really just a battery charger (never understood why the RV industry made up a new term) will take the 120v AC power and use it to charge the 12v DC batteries.

Now if you continue to do a lot of boondocking and get into solar and large battery banks, you may want to consider a better converter and battery monitor system but keep it simple at first. If you do make the jump to an extensive 12v DC system, start doing an energy audit of what you use and for how long. This will allow you to determine you needs in terms of solar and battery bank size much more accurately.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Further the dc output is unregulated and has lots of ripple. Don't use except in an emergency.
Regards, Don

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Assuming it is a Honda 2000... yes there is a direct 12v output rated 8 amps.
And even less if you use the eco mode, must run full rpm.

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
jdc1 wrote:
Nope. That 2000w generator charger is only 8A. Your converter is 30A. Stick with the converter.

WHAT!
2000 watts at 120vac is 15 amps.
Is the 12vdc generator output limited?
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone adding an inverter or solar or just upgrading their battery bank should invest in a GOOD battery monitor. The Victron BM-700 Battery Monitor is an excellent choice.