cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rotating tires and checking the brakes

Tom_in_Tulsa
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Gang...I have an 08 Forest river Georgetown 357 QS with 75,000 miles. Tires are almost 2 yrs with almost 30,000 miles. Most miles are highway miles.
Do these rigs require tires (Mich 235) to be rotated and how? It also seems like it is getting harder to stop.

Is rotating tires needed? Who does brakes? Truck shop, brake shop or RV repair?
What to do and what not to do.
2008 Forest River Georgetown 357; F53 Triton V10 gas engine; Alison trans.
Onan 5000 generator
6 REPLIES 6

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I do side to side rotations. I take it to the shop where I bought the tires. Cost is zero.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Hummmmmmmmmmmm. 30,000 miles in two years? IMO, you drive your MH a lot. (good for you!) For you, the answer is . . . . it depends. Look at all of your tires. How are they wearing? Generally front tires tend to wear on the outside edges. The rear tires not so. IMO, it's prudent to replace all your tires at the same time, so if you can equalize the wear by rotating them, why not? Driving the vehicle less (like most people) causes the tires to age out rather than wear out. IMO, rotating for them IS a waste of time/money.

Chum lee

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Several reasons why I don't rotate tires. My tires age out with tread left. Tread wear is even. The inside dual is steel so the only acceptable rotation would be side to side. I'm told the alloy rims will show drum marks if turned 180 degrees hence rotation with rims is limited. Moving tires and not the rims and rebalancing is costly. And I don't have the equipment or desire to rotate large, heavy high bolt torque tires/rims.

I'd search for a good shop that can do brakes with a good reputation. I had Freightliner replace a drive seal that was leaking. The second time they fixed it correctly. No one is perfect and they made sure it was corrected. BTW When I had the oil changed at this same shop they said the belt was cracked and several marker lights were burned out. The belt was OK and new and the lights worked so I never went back.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
rv dealer will job it out find your on truck repair shop.

Ed_C
Explorer
Explorer
On our first motor home I had the tires rotated, after the dealer did it he told me don't bother to rotate the tires again; it's not necessary. He could have told me that before he did the job and got paid!
Since we have done about 180,000 miles without rotating and never saw any unusual wear.
Ed/Jeanie & Slade the GSD
2017 Entegra Aspire 42 RBQ/ Sierra Crew

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would check for a truck facility that can handle medium to large trucks.