cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

gas millage

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
best gas milage on a V-10 pulling a 30' coach.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.
40 REPLIES 40

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I used to track expenses for all my RV trips when I first got the MH. Trips ranged from $65/day in the lower 48 to $107/day for a 3 month trip to Alaska. I dry camp mostly and don't like RV parks so my costs may be lower than some. 3 day trips or less is not economical in an RV. Long trips and of course longer stays are much cheaper than a car and hotel. Maintenance, mods and repairs cost me $.15/mile(doing most of the work myself). Deprecation was another $.30/mile(buying used). All in all to me for the way I like to travel and things I like to do like fishing and riding my Mtn bike it is a very economical way to travel. And Gas mileage on the MH pulling a Corolla averages 8.5 mpg on the MH and 40 mpg's on the Corolla. I usually put a least the same or twice as may miles on the tow car as I do on the MH depending on the trip.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
way2roll wrote:
All of this seems rather silly, including the mileage. Why spend the money on an Rv and build some budget for MPG? Spend all that money and fret over what might be a few hundred dollars a year extra in fuel. And the car/hotel travel VS Rv travel has so many variables it could go on (and has ) forever. I don't bother calculating and splitting hairs whether my RV is more economical than car/hotel travel. I know I like to have my own stuff, I know I hate hotels, I know I like having my own food, clothes, bikes, sheets, towels, etc etc. I know I own it and I know who's slept in my bed. If it's more economical, great. I don't care. We all bought Rv's for the same reasons I mentioned above, why does this conversation even come up anymore?

We went to Disney World about 8 years ago. When planning I ran the numbers for flying and staying at a hotel on Disney property. Driving the minivan and staying in a motel along the way and staying on Disney property. And then taking the TT and staying in a campground along the way and staying at Fort Wilderness. The numbers worked out to be a wash for the flying vs taking the minivan. And about $300 more to take the TT.
We ended up taking the TT. We were able to stop and see Stone Mountain along the way. Yes its a lot of driving, but for me driving is relaxing. I would definitely do the drive again.

I went last year from jersey. It was way cheaper to drive the rv to the fort then fly 4 people down and rent at a disney property. Plus i saved on food. Win win.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
crawford wrote:
Subject of MPG with gassers over the years have been beat to death. Why even buy one if you worry about it stay home and save your money. Then will it to the kids lrt them spend it. Myself I'm spending mine LOL

I agree, but people like to know where to start with what to expect.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
Subject of MPG with gassers over the years have been beat to death. Why even buy one if you worry about it stay home and save your money. Then will it to the kids lrt them spend it. Myself I'm spending mine LOL
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

me2
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
For the best mileage, slow down. Air resistance increases exponentially with speed (approximately with the cube of speed, if memory serves), and at highway speeds for an RV that is generally where the most energy is expended. Rolling friction is comparatively small.

7 to 8 mpg is about what I'd expect in most cases.

Drag force increases with wind speed squared. Power to push a body through the wind increases with wind speed cubed.

Fuel economy changes due to wind resistance will change with the speed squared. Double your speed and the wind resistance is 4x as much. Increase your speed by 10% and wind resistance increases by 21%.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
A1ARealtorRick wrote:

"It is true that upkeep on the Rv is more--but then I drive it 5 times as much as I drive the car"

....which makes you the definite exception to the rule, in that the average RVer drives 5000 miles per year, and the average automobile travels 15,000 miles per year.

I think maybe I need a 12 step group for RV use? * grin *

I'm addicted to my class C. (come not between the dragon and his wrath, for you are crunchy and taste good on crackers.)
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
FloridaRosebud wrote:
way2roll wrote:
All of this seems rather silly, including the mileage. Why spend the money on an Rv and build some budget for MPG? Spend all that money and fret over what might be a few hundred dollars a year extra in fuel. And the car/hotel travel VS Rv travel has so many variables it could go on (and has ) forever. I don't bother calculating and splitting hairs whether my RV is more economical than car/hotel travel. I know I like to have my own stuff, I know I hate hotels, I know I like having my own food, clothes, bikes, sheets, towels, etc etc. I know I own it and I know who's slept in my bed. If it's more economical, great. I don't care. We all bought Rv's for the same reasons I mentioned above, why does this conversation even come up anymore?

It is rather silly....I ran the numbers using true hotel costs (Hampton Inn, not a cheap $69 per night hotel), lunches and dinners, driving getting 21mpg, and it was slightly less using the RV and paying about $40 per night at a campground and not eating out. When you factor in RV and car costs, maintenance, and all that, I came up with less than 30 days or so the car won, more than 30 days the RV won. You can play with the numbers all day (what car/SUV, what RV, and so on), but like you, we want to have our own everything, so there is no contest...

Al

Fully agreed, we all love our own stuff. However, anyone that for a minute thinks RVing in a unit providing comparable quality to a Hampton Inn is going to be more economical than travel by car is just whistlin' Dixie! Of course, preparing every meal and eating it in the RV will be more economical than restaurant dining, but I must admit it's nice to seek out the local eateries wherever we go and enjoy the dining experience they offer. It's just part of the adventure. Don't get me wrong, I have NEVER indicated to anyone that travel in a nice Class A RV is more economical than travel by car, and I wouldn't give it up for anything, but those that say the cost is close are apparently either lacking in math skills, or have neglected to factor in the initial cost of the RV -- and as we all know, the RV is a toy....a luxury....and your daily driver is definitely not.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
A1ARealtorRick wrote:
Our RV is an additional vehicle, and frankly was initially WAY more expensive than my car, costs more to insure, and more to keep up. So, I can't really buy that line of reason. Sorry, just a stickler for accuracy I guess :C

Where I live my car (a 2013 Elantra) costs $1300.00 per year to insure. My RV (2005 Kustom Koach 28'5") with a valuation of 30,000.00 costs $750 per year to insure.

It is true that upkeep on the Rv is more--but then I drive it 5 times as much as I drive the car. Fuel is about the only winner between my car and RV. There the car is clearly less expensive.

"It is true that upkeep on the Rv is more--but then I drive it 5 times as much as I drive the car"

....which makes you the definite exception to the rule, in that the average RVer drives 5000 miles per year, and the average automobile travels 15,000 miles per year.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll wrote:

It is rather silly....I ran the numbers using true hotel costs (Hampton Inn, not a cheap $69 per night hotel), lunches and dinners, driving getting 21mpg, and it was slightly less using the RV and paying about $40 per night at a campground and not eating out. When you factor in RV and car costs, maintenance, and all that, I came up with less than 30 days or so the car won, more than 30 days the RV won. You can play with the numbers all day (what car/SUV, what RV, and so on), but like you, we want to have our own everything, so there is no contest...

Al

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll wrote:

We went to Disney World about 8 years ago. When planning I ran the numbers for flying and staying at a hotel on Disney property. Driving the minivan and staying in a motel along the way and staying on Disney property. And then taking the TT and staying in a campground along the way and staying at Fort Wilderness. The numbers worked out to be a wash for the flying vs taking the minivan. And about $300 more to take the TT.
We ended up taking the TT. We were able to stop and see Stone Mountain along the way. Yes its a lot of driving, but for me driving is relaxing. I would definitely do the drive again.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
A1ARealtorRick wrote:
Our RV is an additional vehicle, and frankly was initially WAY more expensive than my car, costs more to insure, and more to keep up. So, I can't really buy that line of reason. Sorry, just a stickler for accuracy I guess :C

Where I live my car (a 2013 Elantra) costs $1300.00 per year to insure. My RV (2005 Kustom Koach 28'5") with a valuation of 30,000.00 costs $750 per year to insure.

It is true that upkeep on the Rv is more--but then I drive it 5 times as much as I drive the car. Fuel is about the only winner between my car and RV. There the car is clearly less expensive.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I almost always find when traveling that it is often more economical for me to drive my car (a Honda Fit, which gets around 38-40 mpg on the highway) and stay in motels, rather than take my motorhome and stay in campgrounds. The break-even point basically depnds on the ratio of distance and time spent, and to a somewhat lesser extent the relative cost of motel/hotel rooms and campsites. There are reasons to prefer the motorhome that aren't purely economic, of course; and sometimes reasons to prefer the car, for that matter.

BarabooBob's month in the Rockies would cost me perhaps $500 for gas in the car, which leaves about $115 per day for room and board. $60-$80 a night for a motel/hotel, eating one large meal out, and carrying or buying some breakfast ceral and fruit and stuff to make sandwiches seems quite doable...but it's just a different sort of vacation travel, and probably would involve some different destinations (at least for me).

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I drive an F150 that is my daily driver. Due to owning property that requires me to pull trailers for upkeep, my vehicle does not add much except when I am towing my TT. My insurance for the TT is $160/yr so that is minimal. I count the cost of owning the TT as my play money and I can afford to play. If I was traveling the way I do and stayed in hotels or resorts, I would spend more in 5 years of resorts/hotels than I paid for the TT.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired