cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camping Suggestions for Florida Keys

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
Any thoughts on the Keys for January? Or perhaps west coast water front?? Thanks in advance

J & L
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker
8 REPLIES 8

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Agreed on cost and availability, we got what might have been the last spot in the middle keys for late December, and we booked in January. $970 for 11 days, and it's not even by the water. My understanding is January/Feb are even harder to get as many snowbirds wait until after visiting family for Xmas to head down.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most of the above comments (ref high cost and limited availability) are based on a typical winter tourist season in the Florida Keys.

However, with the pandemic surging in south Florida, it's definitely not going to be a typical winter tourist season in the Keys (the Oct Fantasy Fest has already been cancelled). The military campgrounds in Key West (with several hundred RV spaces) anticipate being closed for the remainder of the year.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Probably too late to get spot in the Keys or on the west coast unless you catch a cancellation and most of these places have waiting lists for that. People make reservations for the next year when they leave in the spring.

And as mentioned if you do find a spot then expect to pay a LOT.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you head to the Keys, Blue Water Key is definitely the place to go. Each lot has it's own tiki and is very private, but they book up a year in advance. However, if the Canadian border remains closed, that will open up spots that are normally taken. We have reservations for this lot at Blue Water key this winter.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Wherever you end up bring money and lots of it. We stayed at Boyd's a couple of years ago and it was $95 per night for a site so small we could not open our awning all the way.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

one_strange_tex
Explorer
Explorer
Decide and reserve sooner than later. As ford truck guy has said, you should have better pickings this year at this time, but that could change as things progress this fall.
I once decided to go to the keys in February. In November, we got a February vacation slot for my wife who is a RN. I found very limited February availability in southern Florida, east and west coast as well as the Keys. I had to take basically the last slot available for whatever days were available and actually had to move around some. Most RV parks where I wanted to stay had no availability at all. I was told that if I waited until March I would have much better luck, but that was not an option with my wife's work schedule.
Nonetheless, we really enjoyed the vacation. Very nice area.
one_strange_texan
Currently between RV's
Former 5th wheel owner (Montana 3402RL)

You MAY have your pick this year... With our Northern friends not heading South, it may free up some quality spots....

Blue Water Key RV Resort...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
California...Kirk Creek USFS, Doran Beach Campground, Hearst San Simeon SB.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad