Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: New Truck for New Empty Nesters
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> New Truck for New Empty Nesters

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
packpe89

NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/16/20 03:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

New empty nesters hoping to have more time to use our TT. Trailer is 26' and weighs 5500# dry. Plan to take long trips every 2-3 years(NC to Western US, maybe Alaska, Maine/Canada etc.), and local trips 2-3 times a year. Otherwise will be used as weekend driver (I have a company truck for commuting). I have no brand preference. Hope to stay under $50K and keep a long time. Live on a farm so 4x4 is a definite. Thinking about the following half tons, Tundra Crew Max, GMC with 3.0 diesel, F150 with 3.5EB or Ram with 5.7.
Local Nissan dealer has a Titan XD with diesel left from '19. Could get a good deal there. Would also consider 3/4 ton, found a low milage Ram 2500/6.4 hemi, but think I would prefer diesel in that class.
Thoughts and opinions.
Tundra too old, or rock solid reputation make it ok.
GM 3.0 gets great reviews and I like diesel for ease of fill-up when towing.
Ford hate to buy now with new body coming out, but great motor.
Ram like the new body.
Nissan XD, ok to get even though they have dropped Cummins?
Thanks
Joe

Lwiddis

Bishop area, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/16/20 03:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dry weight isn’t important. Wet and loaded your TT will be 7000. 900 pounds or so tongue weight plus 100 for a hitch. What’s the payload of those four trucks?

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/16/20 03:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

packpe89 wrote:

New empty nesters hoping to have more time to use our TT. Trailer is 26' and weighs 5500# dry. Plan to take long trips every 2-3 years(NC to Western US, maybe Alaska, Maine/Canada etc.), and local trips 2-3 times a year. Otherwise will be used as weekend driver (I have a company truck for commuting). I have no brand preference. Hope to stay under $50K and keep a long time. Live on a farm so 4x4 is a definite. Thinking about the following half tons, Tundra Crew Max, GMC with 3.0 diesel, F150 with 3.5EB or Ram with 5.7.
Local Nissan dealer has a Titan XD with diesel left from '19. Could get a good deal there. Would also consider 3/4 ton, found a low milage Ram 2500/6.4 hemi, but think I would prefer diesel in that class.
Thoughts and opinions.
Tundra too old, or rock solid reputation make it ok.
GM 3.0 gets great reviews and I like diesel for ease of fill-up when towing.
Ford hate to buy now with new body coming out, but great motor.
Ram like the new body.
Nissan XD, ok to get even though they have dropped Cummins?
Thanks
Joe

When are you looking to purchase? If you can wait next year, there will be a ton of slightly used RV's and Trucks. I believe that you will be able to get an almost NEW , used truck .

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

kw/00

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/16/20 05:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chevy 3.0 diesel if I would be in the market.

A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

miltvill

Ft. Lauderdale FL

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/20 07:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are only going to use the TV for a few trips a year then it sounds like the vehicle will also be your daily driver. You may be happier with a gas engine then a diesel in a 1/2 ton. The emissions on a diesel can be a problem if do a lot of short trips and idling. Tow rating and large fuel tank are things to consider. When I shop for a new vehicle I set the price aside and look for the most important features I must have then, I address the price as it can be negotiated. Some 3/4 tons ride very nice. Look at them before you purchase.

2020 GMC Denali\Duramax 3500HD Dually Crew Cab
Sold-Trail Cruiser TC23QB

ksss

Eastern Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/20 09:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Nissan would be a great deal up front, wont be such a great deal if you wanted to get rid of it.

Any of them would pull the trailer you have easily. My personal choice would really come down to the Chevy 3.0 and the Ford. The mileage guys are getting out of the 3.0 from the ones I have spoken with is pretty impressive (up to low 30's empty). The Ecoboost would likely be more fun to drive.

2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/16/20 09:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't buy a truck just for the current trailer. Buy one that we handle the next one or maybe the next two. An extended trip in the current trailer may have DW looking at a larger trailer. If you decide to go above a 150/1500, skip the 250/2500's and get a 350/3500 SRW. Then when she says, I like this 5th wheel, you will be all set for one up to the 15-16K GVWR range.

* This post was edited 08/18/20 10:37am by Me Again *

Ford Edge ST Twin Turbo 2.7L V6 335HP and 380 Lb Ft - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome. Retired and enjoying it!

Blazing Zippers

North Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/16/20 11:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me Again has a very good point. If you are new at this game, be aware that 2 foot itis will happen after a few trips. If you buy a tow vehicle, plan ahead for bigger trailer. Ask me how I know.
You mentioned a possible trip to AK---from your home area, it would be hard to make it in three weeks and enjoy the trip.
A couple buddies of mine did Idaho to Ak in two weeks on Harleys. It consisted of a week up, and a week back. No real stopping other then motels, potty, and meals.

ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/20 01:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Skip the 1/2 tons and go w/ the 3/4 ton. Sounds nuts even if a daily driver, but IMO I agree w/ some others that say to plan ahead for future RV's plus going to AK the bigger truck will handle things better. Personally, I'm a Ford guy, but if you want a good ride, go w/ the GM line due to IFS (independent front susp) and go w/biggest gas engine as possible.If ride isn't all that important, then check out both Ford and Ram. Also, do you want a short or long box? Reg, ext or crew cab?. If and I say IF you think you want to upgrade to a really big TT or 5er, then go w/ a 1 ton. Not much of a price diff over a 3/4 but a LOT more payload. A lot of us have been there done that and say "OS".

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Dadoffourgirls

China, MI USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/20 05:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just made a 2000 mile trip, and diesel is easier to fill with a large trailer. I discovered that diesel at the truck pumps was also more, and you had to go in an prepay unless you have a credit card set up for $500 at gas pump. I used the truck lanes when I needed DEF, and used the other pumps when I did not need DEF. Most of the truck stops along the freeway were easy enough to get into with the trailer without the using the truck lanes.

If this is going to be your travel vehicle, I would buy based on seat comfort. The LTZ power seats made the ride much better for me.

Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> New Truck for New Empty Nesters
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.